Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

QFI Core Exam Old Advanced Portfolio Management Forum

Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

College: Brown University
Default TIA QFI Core Seminar - Fall 2018

I'm excited to announce that the TIA QFI Core Seminar is completely ready for Fall 2018!

We recently released our new flashcards app and it has been a huge hit! You can view flashcards through our iPhone app, Android app, and web app. This is great for on-the-go studying, especially for students who have commutes to work and want to squeeze in some studying. We also have flashcards available in a downloadable PDF format.

Students are already signing up for the TIA seminar to study for the Fall 2018 exam. Sign up here.

Below is a summary of the contents of the TIA QFI Core Seminar:
  • Detailed study guide and videos for the entire syllabus
  • New video player that allows you to play videos at variable speeds up to 2x (also works in iPhone app)
  • Study schedule spreadsheet with customizable start date and progress-tracking features intended to help you make the best use of your study time
  • 125+ exam-style practice questions with detailed solutions
  • Flashcards (iPhone App, Android App, Web App, PDF)
  • Over 100 TIA Practice drill problems with solutions
  • 12 weekly quizzes with solutions, stressing the quantitative section of the syllabus
  • 50 question multiple choice diagnostic test with solutions
  • 20+ FAQ Review Videos
  • Supplemental FAQ guide giving tips and tricks to solve QFI Core questions
  • Exam day checklist
  • Breakdown videos of select past exam questions. I am always working on expanding this section since students find it very helpful! There are currently over 45 video breakdowns of past exam questions in the seminar. This is a crucial resource to have to prepare for the exam!
  • Over 30 hours of video content!

You can check out the TIA product page and view testimonials here.

Good luck to everyone on QFI Core!

As always, feel free to email me at zak@theinfiniteactuary.com with any questions!

QFI Core | QFI Advanced | QFI IRM | LRM | ERM
Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 PM
SOA

I wanted to mention an extra feature I added for this sitting:

The TIA seminar now includes an errata for the Chin textbook!

The Chin textbook is a great source of practice problems for QFI Core. I contacted the textbook author and he confirmed that there is no officially published errata to the textbook. Overall the textbook is great, but there are still some errors/typos which can cause confusion. Therefore, I put together an errata list for this textbook! I'm hoping this will be a helpful resource for students as they work through the practice problems in Chin.

It is available in the TIA Seminar under Introduction > Textbook Errata.

Last edited by Zakfischer; 05-23-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
SOA

If this will be your first FSA exam, I recommend checking out the link below:

Understanding FSA Exams

Especially for those taking QFI Core as their first FSA exam, this video can help you understand how to approach FSA exams.

Good luck studying for Fall 2018! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me anytime at zak@theinfiniteactuary.com

Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

This week we updated our free Flashcards app for iPhone with even more features to help you get the most out of your valuable study time. In addition to a new look, some of the new features include:
  • A redesigned filter bar. You can now filter a single list of flashcards by topic, chapter, lesson, tag, or if a card is marked unknown or known
  • The ability to tag cards, and create custom piles
  • An updated design that allows for cleaner, crisper rendering of flashcard content
We also updated the look of our free Learn app for iPhone, which allows you to download videos for offline viewing and much more. One thing we've improved is the Learn app's ability to play audio in the background. This allows the Learn app to be used in more of an "audio-only" mode when you only want to listen to the lecture audio (e.g. while driving).

We are also hard at work on a redesign of our Android Learn app, which should be available later this sitting.

All of our apps are tightly integrated with the online seminar and following the lesson structure exactly. Your feedback on these apps has driven our mobile app development, and we'd like to thank you for that! We also look forward to hearing how you use these apps in your future exam prep.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Another cool update to the iPad version of our Learn app: you can now use the app in split screen on an iPad Pro. This makes it easy, for example, to have a PDF app next to the Learn app for reading or writing as you watch the video.

We are lucky to have a mobile team that is working relentlessly on this stuff, and I'm starting to get jealous that none of this technology was around when I was taking exams back in the day.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn