Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State MBA Alumni
Favorite beer: Taxman Deduction

My sitting is on the 25th, I'm at an EL of 6.4 right now. I don't know why but I get confused on VaR, TVaR and then what goes against and supports EMH. Been doing flash cards with formulas every night so I'm good there, just need to figure out VaR, TVaR and EMH. Also, the only Adapt problems I'm getting wrong are difficulty 7+, had one yesterday over a 9. Kind of annoying because we probably won't get anything nearly that difficult.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:16 PM
CAS SOA

College: Temple University

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidSmart View Post
My sitting is on the 25th, I'm at an EL of 6.4 right now. I don't know why but I get confused on VaR, TVaR and then what goes against and supports EMH. Been doing flash cards with formulas every night so I'm good there, just need to figure out VaR, TVaR and EMH. Also, the only Adapt problems I'm getting wrong are difficulty 7+, had one yesterday over a 9. Kind of annoying because we probably won't get anything nearly that difficult.
I agree; some of the questions are so hard or just require so much algebraic manipulation that it wears me out. That being said, I finally cracked 7, though barely (7.06). I am hoping that the exam is more like a 5. Has anyone sat previously and have more insight on what the actual difficulty is like?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM
CAS

College: Rutgers Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by melephant View Post
I agree; some of the questions are so hard or just require so much algebraic manipulation that it wears me out. That being said, I finally cracked 7, though barely (7.06). I am hoping that the exam is more like a 5. Has anyone sat previously and have more insight on what the actual difficulty is like?
I haven't sat previously, but I'm in a similar boat as you currently with a 7.3 EL.

From what I've read, the actual exam more closely resembles a level 5 exam. I plan to take a few level 5 exams with some level 6s sprinkled in the week leading up to the exam.

I also heard from a co-worker who sat in July to do all the upper level conceptual questions, but last sitting seemed to be an anomaly.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlyers00 View Post
I haven't sat previously, but I'm in a similar boat as you currently with a 7.3 EL.

From what I've read, the actual exam more closely resembles a level 5 exam. I plan to take a few level 5 exams with some level 6s sprinkled in the week leading up to the exam.
It's a good place to be, and that's a good plan. I took a level 5 exam last night (to take a "break") and was able to finish with time to spare (a first). It was still useful as I got a few questions that stumped me for a minute, and I still made stupid mistakes on a couple.

What scares me is I get questions wrong that I got right just a couple weeks ago. As I'm brushing up on my weak topics I'm forgetting the stuff I was doing well on!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 AM
SOA

College: Illinois State MBA Alumni
Favorite beer: Taxman Deduction

I sat in July and it was a weird sitting. I had gotten a couple of questions that I'd never gotten on ADAPT, for instance a short rebate. Since that sitting I've still only gotten 1 rebate question on ADAPT. I also only had one BS question on that sitting which I thought was odd. I'm going to hit a harder level of conceptual questions this week, my sitting is on Monday. Good luck to everyone.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 AM
CAS SOA

I'm sitting on 27th. I'm on EL 3.0 right now - its my first ADAPT exam.

I'll stop at EL 5.0.

Good luck guys!
Old 11-18-2019, 03:16 PM
SOA

College: Drake University Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidSmart View Post
I sat in July and it was a weird sitting. I had gotten a couple of questions that I'd never gotten on ADAPT, for instance a short rebate. Since that sitting I've still only gotten 1 rebate question on ADAPT. I also only had one BS question on that sitting which I thought was odd. I'm going to hit a harder level of conceptual questions this week, my sitting is on Monday. Good luck to everyone.
Sitting on Saturday, currently at a 6.75 EL. Creating flashcards for the qualitative stuff definitely helped me a lot, to the point where I took all the information straight from the CA formula sheet. Also remember there being a question (maybe two) about assumptions, so writing down/memorizing those. Good luck y'all!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:52 AM
SOA

Studying for (???) IFM/LTAM/CorpFin

Sitting tomorrow, currently stuck at 5.65 EL, hope I don't get mauled to bits

Old 11-21-2019, 12:45 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiouslugaw View Post
Sitting tomorrow, currently stuck at 5.65 EL, hope I don't get mauled to bits
Good luck everyone!
Old 11-21-2019, 03:40 PM
SOA

College: University of Maryland, College Park

Passed today for my first sitting of IFM! Good luck to everyone else taking the exam this week.