Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-04-2003, 11:03 PM

I always look for volunteer work or interesting extra-curricular.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder
My, aren't we self-important?!
PotKettleBlack

If you care to take the time to help out somebody trying to get a job, feel free to offer actual advice. Or, you can be your normal, useless, unhelpful self. Doesn't really matter to me, although disrupting my thread where I try to help students, just to rip on me.... well, to quote my favorite Sammie "Whatever".
Old 10-04-2003, 11:33 PM

Oh, and to any students who think I am harsh: you're right. I wish I wasn't, but that's just the way it is. My workload doesn't change just because I am doing recruiting - it's an extra. It's Saturday night, and I would rather be with the fam. And there are lots of good candidates. But, I am willing to do this because it's important for the firm.

I sincerely hope that you get a laugh out of the previous posts, then take them to heart: this is how I evaluate candidates. Others may vary, but it's not like anybody is going to go through a bunch of mistakes, low GPA, no exams, poor formatting, etc, and say, "let me hire this guy" - everybody is looking at the things I am looking at, even if they weight them differently. Whatever you have, make sure you make the most of it by presenting it well in your resume.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:01 AM
glenn

Westley's right. A stack of 100+ resumes is a lot of work. The last time I went through hiring, I had 350 resumes to go through. You're looking at a couple boxes of resumes. The first thing *EVERYONE* does is start sorting.

First, if it's physically odd, like handwritted, dot matrix, crayon, pink paper, etc. it's garbage. Then it's some other arbitrary criteria to sort into good/bad piles. Then take the good pile and sort again into good/not so good. Then sort again based upon a quick read. Then the last 20 or so get a detailed read and sorted again. Then it's back to rereading and resorting to get it down to about 5 candidates.

Remember, the resume is to get the interview, the interview gets the job. Wesley's looking for reasons to cut - so as long as you don't give him reasons to cut, you should stay in the 'good' pile til closer to the end. At that point as long as you meet the base criteria for the job you stand a reasonable chance of getting called in for an interview.

In short, it's a tough thing to do but don't give the interviewer any reason to turf you in the first 5 second perusal of your resume. And 90% of resumes easily allow for this kind of sort.

The last time I went job hunting I also used a professional resume service. Don't discount a few dollars on outside advice.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder
My, aren't we self-important?! And looking for ways to goof off on your field trip, too...

I just love anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive, looking-at-their-own-shoes people who think that the slightest deviation from their standards is reason to dismiss another from consideration. The circled typo on the resume is a nice touch!

My last resume -- though well laid out -- was in Haiku, and I went to the interview in cowboy boots: You probably couldn't handle it. :P

If you weren't looking at your own shoes.
A fantastic reply EB.

Please, please hire me!
I'm a good Actuary.
I want more money
Old 10-05-2003, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn
First, if it's physically odd, like handwritted, dot matrix, crayon, pink paper, etc. it's garbage.
Thanks, couldn't think of the name - dot matrix is what I meant when I wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
Do you want me to be happy while reading your resume or angry? Do you have a smile on your face when you are looking at something pretty or something ugly. I'm not saying it has to be a work of art, but if it wasn't printed on an laser printer, I probably won't be happy.
Five years ago (ten? hard to remember), laser printers were less common. Now, every university has free laser printers available all over the place in their computer labs - or you can go to Kinko's for a buck or something. It's not that hard to get access to a laser printer.

The only exception to glenn's rules on "physically odd" is if it's pink. And it's scented. I think it just gives it that extra something. Won't hurt if you look like Reese, either, although if that's the case, I don't know why you would want to be an actuary.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:33 PM

I get stacks of intern resumes. When you are fortunate enough to have many great candidates, you will be demanding. I quickly sort resumes into three piles: the ones worth a second glance, the maybes, and the do not interview.

Worth a second glance:
1. Relevant Internships (actuarial or with insurance company)
2. Actuarial Science or Mathematics Program
3. Exams passed
4. Grades (I'll excuse one bad term, but I will ask about why it happened if I interview you. I'll also give you points if I see you had a rough start and then you showed consistent improvement.)

Do not interview pile:
A. An internship with a very low grade
B. No Exams passed AND average scores on internships
C. A record of bad grades (unless you can find a compelling way to explain it in your cover letter, OR you have passed actuarial exams).
D. Horrendous grammar and spelling. I consider communication a necessary skill for any staff I will invest in. I do not want someone who wants to do their work in a corner and won't/can't talk to people.

Then I see how many are in the interview pile. Then I go through the maybe pile to make sure I didn't miss any diamonds in the rough. Points for extracurricular. A cover letter that shows some research could move someone from the maybe to the interview pile.

Then I double check one last time the do not interview pile to make sure I wasn't too hasty.

Hope that helps
Old 10-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Travis

Just so you guys know, at least one student is paying attention to this. Thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Young Curmudgeon
Just so you guys know, at least one student is paying attention to this. Thanks
Happy to help. This thread should serve as fair warning of the types of freaks you'll be working for in this profession. In fact, some of us are moderates!
Old 10-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
PotKettleBlack

If you care to take the time to help out somebody trying to get a job, feel free to offer actual advice. Or, you can be your normal, useless, unhelpful self.
That's pretty harsh, Westley. I think EB was just trying to be funny.

But I understand your frustration. Peace!