Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Number7 Number7 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Studying for way too long
Posts: 73
Default

Fertility specialist generally focus on the women's problems. They will check men for count, mobility and shape abnormalities. If there is an abnormal result from these tests they will look into further. As far as personal experience goes, I am very glad I went to a specialist. After 3 miscarriages and no answers from my OB (he ran at least 20 different tests on me), I was starting to give up hope. I saw a reproductive endocrinologist. His office sent me about 4 pages worth of paperwork (medical history stuff) to fill out and had copies of all my medical records. At my appointment with him, he walked into the room with the answer. He explained the steps I needed to take, and I got a blood test to confirm his diagnosis. I have followed his instructions, and am currently 26 weeks pregnant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Lucy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Man View Post
It seems to me they'd have a private room right there at the office for generating samples.
People I've talked to who used the private room at the office complained about the quality of the porn. "Anyone who got off on that should be disqualified from fatherhood."

A friend who had chemo and had chemo-induced menopause went in for a his&hers appointment at a fertility clinic. They learned that his sample had too low a sperm count to impregnate her a couple of days after they learned that she was pregnant. (Her system kicked in and she got pregnant without ever menstruating in between.) So these places can be wrong.

Best of luck, Sam. I'm sure they are usually helpful. I do know people who have conceived with the aid of modern medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
SamTheEagle's Avatar
SamTheEagle SamTheEagle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 56,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Man View Post
It seems to me they'd have a private room right there at the office for generating samples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
People I've talked to who used the private room at the office complained about the quality of the porn. "Anyone who got off on that should be disqualified from fatherhood."

A friend who had chemo and had chemo-induced menopause went in for a his&hers appointment at a fertility clinic. They learned that his sample had too low a sperm count to impregnate her a couple of days after they learned that she was pregnant. (Her system kicked in and she got pregnant without ever menstruating in between.) So these places can be wrong.

Best of luck, Sam. I'm sure they are usually helpful. I do know people who have conceived with the aid of modern medicine.
I'll be more comfortable doing it in my own home, and would rather not use porn.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
SamTheEagle's Avatar
SamTheEagle SamTheEagle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 56,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
Fertility specialist generally focus on the women's problems. They will check men for count, mobility and shape abnormalities. If there is an abnormal result from these tests they will look into further. As far as personal experience goes, I am very glad I went to a specialist. After 3 miscarriages and no answers from my OB (he ran at least 20 different tests on me), I was starting to give up hope. I saw a reproductive endocrinologist. His office sent me about 4 pages worth of paperwork (medical history stuff) to fill out and had copies of all my medical records. At my appointment with him, he walked into the room with the answer. He explained the steps I needed to take, and I got a blood test to confirm his diagnosis. I have followed his instructions, and am currently 26 weeks pregnant.
Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Alt ID's Avatar
Alt ID Alt ID is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 272
Default

What to expect can really vary depending on teh center, and what the diagnosis is. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions you'd like to keep private.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
SamTheEagle's Avatar
SamTheEagle SamTheEagle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 56,609
Default

I'm intending for the moment to put any questions/comments publicly in here, but if you'd prefer to pm private responses, I'll promise not to post them in here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Heathen Heathen is offline
Officially Funny
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: At the bar
Studying for BAC
College: Landover Baptist University
Favorite beer: Dry Gin
Posts: 10,145
Default

I could recommend some viewing material.

Also, don't use spermicidal lube when extracting the sample.

Mrs. Heathen and I had no problem conceiving Little Heathen #1, but Little Heathen #2 took a while to conceive. Mrs. Heathen saw a specialist and had no problems show up. So, when it was my turn, I went to grab the lube that we normally used. I looked at the label and laughed. We switched lubes. Little Heathen #2 was conceived that month.

Last edited by Heathen; 11-23-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
SamTheEagle's Avatar
SamTheEagle SamTheEagle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 56,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
I could recommend some viewing material.

Also, don't use spermicidal lube when extracting the sample.
Instructions were "no lubricants, no saliva".
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 43,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
Instructions were "no lubricants, no saliva".
Does that mean your wife can't 'assist' you?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Arden Bensenhaver's Avatar
Arden Bensenhaver Arden Bensenhaver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
College: University of East Anglia
Posts: 3,430
Default

Alt ID had a long thread too which was interesting
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.24774 seconds with 9 queries