Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
sprinting related news... Usain Bolt just ran 9.76 in Rome. (fastest time in the world this year). He beat Asafa Powell by 0.15.
Video of that 9.76: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mViWxDX4-yo

Only 3 men (including Bolt himself) have ever run faster than that, and every time Bolt himself ran faster than 9.76 he broke the world record.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
If the pace is world class, he won't even bother the leaders as he kicks a few seconds behind them. The situation I was considering was a tactical race with a kick finish where he has to pass people up going down the backstretch, his legs die during his kick, and someone gets boxed in.

I know these guys are pros and will plan for everything, but we all know everything changes in the race. I just think this will be a very interesting finish.
I'm confused by your comments, if Webb is turning the 1600 into a 1500 +100 race, won't be be doing his final kick on the backstretch and last curve rather than the straight away (which will be where he jogs)?

Having his 1500 finish on the curve rather than a straight seems like a tough race to get a world class time as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I'm confused by your comments, if Webb is turning the 1600 into a 1500 +100 race, won't be be doing his final kick on the backstretch and last curve rather than the straight away (which will be where he jogs)?

Having his 1500 finish on the curve rather than a straight seems like a tough race to get a world class time as well.
I'd think he will have to be front running going into the final corner or else he risks running into a logjam since the finish line will be towards the end of the final corner. If he is frontrunning and dies in the middle of that final corner, that could effect the others.

This is also depending on what pace the pack wants race at. Most aren't really running for any time considerations. It's a mile. They don't run the mile often. But Webb will make sure that at least HE gets out at A standard pace.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Yep. In the Olympics, for each event each country can send either one B qualifier, or up to 3 A qualifiers, no mixing of A's and B's.

The World Championship is a bit more lax -- they allow A,B or A,A,B. Plus the world champion from 2 years before, regardless of whether they have an A or B qualifier.
Thought so but I hadn't checked lately so I wasn't sure if it changed.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
SOA

College: Johns Hopkins University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Yep. In the Olympics, for each event each country can send either one B qualifier, or up to 3 A qualifiers, no mixing of A's and B's.

The World Championship is a bit more lax -- they allow A,B or A,A,B. Plus the world champion from 2 years before, regardless of whether they have an A or B qualifier.
This is my understanding as well. The U.S. men have so many runners with the Olympic A standard in the 1500/5000/10,000 at this point that any runner that hopes to compete in the Olympics probably needs to have the A standard as well prior to the trials. (which will more than likely be tactical)

Webb's season best 3:37 makes him a long-shot. But considering he was running 3:54 (for a 1500, not mile) less than 2 months ago the progress he's making is pretty encouraging.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 PM

If he's going for a qualifying time it's not going to be one of those slow races with a sprint at the end anyway. Webb will get out and push it.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 PM
SOA

Live feed of the event. International mile starts in 2-3 minutes.

http://www.runnerspace.com/PreClassic

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 06-01-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Non-Actuary

Webb. Epic. Fail.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
SOA

Wow. Close race at the NCAA championships today in the Men's 100 meters.
Time to go see if I can find a video of the it.

1 Andrew Riley SR Illinois 10.28 [10.272]
2 Harry Adams JR Auburn 10.28 [10.274]
3 Maurice Mitchell SR Florida State 10.28 [10.277]
4 Darrell Wesh SO Virginia Tech 10.30 [10.291]
5 Marcus Rowland JR Auburn 10.30 [10.298]
6 Kemar Hyman SR Florida State 10.34
7 Charles Silmon JR TCU 10.39
8 Aaron Ernest FR LSU 10.45
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Asafa Powell scares Bolt in a race in Oslo this past Thursday. Then Bolt got another scare from the flower girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLr-fz_CAA