Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 PM
SOA

Solid shooting Ferguson! I play a 4 person scramble on Saturday (9 holes at twilight then 9 holes of night golf after dinner). One person is my normal golf buddy, the other two are his coworkers whom are very new to golf. Basically going to be a 2.5 person scramble with me as a high 90s avg and my buddy as a high 80s avg, hope we find our game

It might turn into a 27 hole day Saturday with 9 more holes in the morning with some of my coworkers, but we'll see.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:24 PM
SOA

9 holes in the morning has transformed into 18 holes at a par 62 exec course. 36 holes tomorrow!
Old 10-25-2019, 11:27 PM
SOA

Studying for DMAC
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I played in a scramble tourney last week, which has been my only round of golf since August, and I fear it will be my last of 2019. We hit 17 GIR, including having eagle putts on both par-5s. Almost made both, settled for tap-in birdies on both holes. We wound up -7, winners were -8.

I played surprisingly well given how much golf I've played recently. Irons were consistent, driver was ranging from meh to really good (both par 5's started with my drive), putting was up and down. I went "lone wolf" for 3 of our birdies, which is always nice. But it's becoming more and more apparent that if I want to get my scores down I need to spend a lot of time working on my shots from 60-110 yards. I am rarely putting myself into scoring position from those distances, and sometimes it's even worse than that (20 yards over the green, pin high but in the bunker, etc).
Good job! And yeah 60-120 yards really is the most awkward range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
Got out for the first time in a while yesterday. Went to a 9-hole executive course. Par 33. Shot 38! It is an "easy" course, but I was happy to be +5 on 9 holes. Had one OB drive where I over drove the fairway with a good shot (but misjudged how much room I had before dogleg). Also had one drive into the trees that bounced out into the fairway, so those two even out.

Going out on Sunday. Golf season never ends here (LA).
Nice, and lucky you! Up here in Canada the golf season is over in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
9 holes in the morning has transformed into 18 holes at a par 62 exec course. 36 holes tomorrow!
Have fun!

I've been filming my swing at home and it appears that I have an early extension. Been watching videos on how to fix it, and will try a drill or two tomorrow at the range before walking a 9-hole Par 3.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:20 PM
SOA

Hit the mark I have been searching for; 18 holes of bogey golf! Just on a par 62 exec course. Shot an 80. 3 pars, 3 doubles, 12 bogeys.

I typically have a triple or worse on at least 1 par 5 on normal courses and can typically do alright on shorter par 4s and par 3s, so the scoreline isn't too shocking. Still, I had pretty good ball striking throughout, only a few blips. Made a mess of par 4, hole 17 coming down the stretch and made a 10+ footer for double. Was the first hole I really mishit my 5wood off the tee.

We were playing the back tees on this course and it was definitely a test. Beat my golf buddy by a stroke who averages high 80s (on normal par 72s), but was struggling with his iron distances that morning. Very happy I was able to keep it together for the full 18 for the most part.
Par 4 distances were: 399, 300, 337, 307, 335, 320, 339, 384
Par 3 distances were: 193, 162, 167, 159, 152, 105, 145, 126, 188, 135

The scramble event was not as great from me. Had a bit more inconsistency off the tee and wasn't chipping very well. Night golf was pretty fun though, I didn't feel comfortable with my woods in the dark, but my 4h was money off the tee and we used it multiple times. Also delivered a solo birdie on a par 3 which always feels good. Something about glow in the dark golf balls getting launched into the sky is just so entertaining
Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM
SOA

Studying for DMAC
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Hit the mark I have been searching for; 18 holes of bogey golf! Just on a par 62 exec course. Shot an 80. 3 pars, 3 doubles, 12 bogeys.

I typically have a triple or worse on at least 1 par 5 on normal courses and can typically do alright on shorter par 4s and par 3s, so the scoreline isn't too shocking. Still, I had pretty good ball striking throughout, only a few blips. Made a mess of par 4, hole 17 coming down the stretch and made a 10+ footer for double. Was the first hole I really mishit my 5wood off the tee.

We were playing the back tees on this course and it was definitely a test. Beat my golf buddy by a stroke who averages high 80s (on normal par 72s), but was struggling with his iron distances that morning. Very happy I was able to keep it together for the full 18 for the most part.
Par 4 distances were: 399, 300, 337, 307, 335, 320, 339, 384
Par 3 distances were: 193, 162, 167, 159, 152, 105, 145, 126, 188, 135

The scramble event was not as great from me. Had a bit more inconsistency off the tee and wasn't chipping very well. Night golf was pretty fun though, I didn't feel comfortable with my woods in the dark, but my 4h was money off the tee and we used it multiple times. Also delivered a solo birdie on a par 3 which always feels good. Something about glow in the dark golf balls getting launched into the sky is just so entertaining
Good job! Breaking 90 isn't far away!

I didn't end up golfing this weekend cause of my exam tomorrow. Hopefully I can go after the exam.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:40 PM
SOA

Had a lesson last Friday. First formal lesson since before I ever played golf on a course. Quality instructor, definitely knew his stuff and how to get the message across in a way people could implement (can be hard to pick the proper "focus point" for someone to have in a swing thought that fixes a couple things).

Main 2 things for me were:
1. My left arm frequently breaks down in the backswing. The feeling he wanted me to generate was to hold a golf towel/shirt with my left hand palm down and right hand palm up with about 4 inches of separation between them. Then focus on the feeling of pulling the towel apart in my backswing. He also recommended strengthening my triceps with focused workouts which would also help significantly.

2. My setup is too close to the ball. With higher lofted clubs my hands were too close to my body (between my knees/legs rather than in front of them). Similarly, setting up too close was forcing steeper swings with my longer clubs which explained alot of my misses (steep swing = weak push/fade/slice or I sometimes severely top the ball). This change was more uncomfortable to try and implement for sure.

When I stepped a bit off the ball and had my arms more forward it naturally shifted my balance a bit further forward too (he said I was too seated on my heels as well). Interestingly, by moving further off the ball my next several shots were shanks off the hosel, not the toe. This change will take more range time to find the groove again.

Overall he said I had nice sequencing and rhythm in the swing for my level.

Last edited by dancran1220; 11-14-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM
SOA

Played 18 last Sunday. Hit a small bucket before going off trying to test the swing changes from the lesson. I put a lot of mental thought into the areas from the lesson, but doing so caused me to revert on the most recent issue I had fixed myself - the grip. I started bowing my wrist again causing some inconsistent swings throughout the round and only realized that was the culprit after the round.

General sentiments following the round with that mind:
Woods:
Hybrid/Long Irons (4-6):
Mid irons (7-9):
Wedges (PW,GW,SW):
Chipping (SW, LW):
Putting:

Shot a 98 with two massive blow up holes (double par 8 followed by quad bogey 9) in the middle of the back 9. Had a couple great tee shots, a couple awful topped tee shots, and a bunch of weak push+fades due to the grip reverting on me. Irons were okay. Was doing pretty good with the longer irons but not finding the accuracy needed on the shorter irons and wedges. Chipping saved my score on several holes. Putting was pretty solid on some hard pin locations for the course (have played here multiple times). Think I had 4 pars on the round.

I'll be keeping an eye open for a final chance or two to play this year. Might pull the trigger on a driver over the next several weeks, we'll see.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 PM
SOA

Bought a driver for $150 earlier this week. Haven't used it at the range yet. Have opportunity to return it by March 1st if I decide I don't want it (very possible so that flexibility helped make the decision easier).

Used Titleist 917D2