Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-04-2019, 02:56 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
I got the below message
"The eligibility id provided does not exist."
Make sure you are using the right number. There should be a candidate ID number and an eligibility number.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:02 AM
SOA

College: kfupm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The order confirmation has your candidate ID, but it won't work until you get an official confirmation letter email 3-5 days after you sign up for the exam through the SOA site... not that it matters at the moment since Prometric has literally zero availability
I already got the confirmation letter but I get the same message
Old 10-05-2019, 10:05 AM
SOA

College: kfupm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Make sure you are using the right number. There should be a candidate ID number and an eligibility number.
isn't it the "Candidate/eligibility #" in the confirmation letter?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 PM
SOA

College: Ohio Wesleyan University

I used the Candidate eligibility number (5 digit numbers) and got the message: The eligibility id provided does not exist. I received the letter of confirmation for over 24 hours. Not sure what happened.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
SOA

College: Ohio Wesleyan University

Rep said they reactive my id. Man, since when it is got deactivate >.< I am now unable to find place near me for 12/13, only 12th date available. Goodluck guys.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:47 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Booked mine in the Atlanta area over the weekend
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
Booked mine in the Atlanta area over the weekend
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Favorite beer: Root

A coworker of mine forwarded me an email with the plan below (from someone who passed PA recently). I will probably follow this plan, except I may go back and forth between the 3 parts, doing them kind of simultaneously.

1. Read chapters 1-6, 8 and 10 of Introduction to Statistical Learning (there’s a free PDF copy online here: http://faculty.marshall.usc.edu/gare...20Printing.pdf). You don’t need to do the lab sections at the end of each chapter because they mostly use different R commands than what you’ll see in the modules and exam. I actually really liked this book and it gives you a really good framework of the theory behind what you’re doing in the exam. I imagine a lot of the earlier chapters will already be familiar to you if you’ve done any linear regression stuff back in your experience studies days.

2. Take this online R course: https://www.udemy.com/course/data-sc...otcamp-with-r/ Looks like it’s on sale for $10 right now. Not all the sections are relevant but sections 1-23, 26-27 and 30-31 cover most of what you need to know in R for the exam (with a few exceptions like principal component analysis and ridge and lasso regression). It takes a while to get through the videos but if you watch them and follow along in R then it really does teach you the basics of how R works.

3. Work through the modules. A decent amount of the modules is stuff you can click through pretty quickly. Assuming they don’t change the content of the modules for the next sitting then I would say modules 1-5 are fairly introductory and straightforward, mostly about data design and plotting data in R (which you should know about already if you did step 2). The meat of the modules is in 6-8. Module 9 is a boring common sense module about how to write a report, which you don’t even need to do (except for an executive summary) under the new exam format anyway.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM
SOA

College: Penn Sate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim7 View Post
A coworker of mine forwarded me an email with the plan below (from someone who passed PA recently). I will probably follow this plan, except I may go back and forth between the 3 parts, doing them kind of simultaneously.

1.Read chapters 1-6, 8 and 10 of Introduction to Statistical Learning (thereís a free PDF copy online here: http://faculty.marshall.usc.edu/gare...20Printing.pdf). You donít need to do the lab sections at the end of each chapter because they mostly use different R commands than what youíll see in the modules and exam. I actually really liked this book and it gives you a really good framework of the theory behind what youíre doing in the exam. I imagine a lot of the earlier chapters will already be familiar to you if youíve done any linear regression stuff back in your experience studies days.

2.Take this online R course: https://www.udemy.com/course/data-sc...otcamp-with-r/ Looks like itís on sale for $10 right now. Not all the sections are relevant but sections 1-23, 26-27 and 30-31 cover most of what you need to know in R for the exam (with a few exceptions like principal component analysis and ridge and lasso regression). It takes a while to get through the videos but if you watch them and follow along in R then it really does teach you the basics of how R works.

3.Work through the modules. A decent amount of the modules is stuff you can click through pretty quickly. Assuming they donít change the content of the modules for the next sitting then I would say modules 1-5 are fairly introductory and straightforward, mostly about data design and plotting data in R (which you should know about already if you did step 2). The meat of the modules is in 6-8. Module 9 is a boring common sense module about how to write a report, which you donít even need to do (except for an executive summary) under the new exam format anyway.

Thanks so much for sharing this, I think I will follow this plan as well, Iím going to buy the R course now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2019, 01:56 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Gonna register today. Is 2 months enough?

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!