Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSam88 View Post
I wrote LTAM last Friday too. My plan is to go through the modules. I won't buy Actex. I will start next week to study.
Oh Hey there!
I started today but didnt get very far. Do you have prior knowledge in R and predictive modelling?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1245 View Post
Oh Hey there!
I started today but didnt get very far. Do you have prior knowledge in R and predictive modelling?
I learned R and predictive modelling in my degree (2014-2017). So this is material I already know, but I don't remember very well. I guess it will be kind of a refresher.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:31 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsNoSpoon View Post
I'm already a bit decent with R so some of this stuff isn't a problem. Completed all the modules + exercises too. I'm also looking at the exam SRM sample questions...?

I'm just not sure how to prepare for this kind of five-hour thing. I've downloaded all the practice projects and past exams, so would giving them in exam-esque conditions on weekends, say every Saturday, help out? What else is there?
Anyone?

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:30 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Anyone?
I think we're all still trying to figure this out. There's not much out there to practice on without getting creative. My current plan is to save the four full length ones for my during the week study time in December. Last day before the exam I won't do a full one, just review and play around with what I feel I'm shaky on. Maybe I'll do the sample project or some externally linked practice from this forum on one of the last few weekends.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:40 AM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: University of Puerto Rico '15

Quote:
Anyone?
After I finished the modules I watched these videos covering the material from ISLR:

https://www.r-bloggers.com/in-depth-...expert-videos/

I also got the Actex manual last week. The most important sections have not been released yet but it has everything (code, theory, practice problems, exam tips) in a single document, which is nice.
APC
Old 10-30-2019, 09:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
I think we're all still trying to figure this out. There's not much out there to practice on without getting creative. My current plan is to save the four full length ones for my during the week study time in December. Last day before the exam I won't do a full one, just review and play around with what I feel I'm shaky on. Maybe I'll do the sample project or some externally linked practice from this forum on one of the last few weekends.
You say 4 full length ones, am I missing one? (2) from June and (1) from last December, what is #4? The sample project?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
You say 4 full length ones, am I missing one? (2) from June and (1) from last December, what is #4? The sample project?
There are two samples and two released exams. June was a single exam, there were just two different data sets.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcosme88 View Post
After I finished the modules I watched these videos covering the material from ISLR:

https://www.r-bloggers.com/in-depth-...expert-videos/

I also got the Actex manual last week. The most important sections have not been released yet but it has everything (code, theory, practice problems, exam tips) in a single document, which is nice.
Key point is that the most important sections have not been released yet, and have a release estimate of "end of November". The last week of November is U.S. Thanksgiving week so unless it's done before Monday it will be December before it actually gets delivered. If time from delivery to actual access is about the same as the last released section (about 1 week), you will be lucky to have a full week with the material.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
There are two samples and two released exams. June was a single exam, there were just two different data sets.
Thanks!
Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
Totally - I need more case studies! Like one where probit link is appropriate, for example. I want as much hands-on experience to handle any wrinkle that may come up in the exam.

I'm also really bad at just practicing the actual writing. It's much different when it's in your head, and doing the writing as if in the exam will help with both the actual content and time management.