Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Key point is that the most important sections have not been released yet, and have a release estimate of "end of November". The last week of November is U.S. Thanksgiving week so unless it's done before Monday it will be December before it actually gets delivered. If time from delivery to actual access is about the same as the last released section (about 1 week), you will be lucky to have a full week with the material.
Chapter 3 took a few days later to arrive at actuarial bookstore since the author announced the update was done. There might be some technical conversion done between the author's version and the version available on actuarial bookstore that needed some days to complete. Hope it's faster for Thanksgiving release. People eat Turkey on Thanksgiving, but PA exam takers eat manual and case studies in that weekend.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Predictive Analytics
College: UT Austin Alumni
Favorite beer: Weihenstephaner Original
Default How to handle data only available for certain observations?

In the sample project, SAGE (spouse age) and SEDUCATION (spouse education) have zeros listed for individuals who do not have a spouse. How should I treat these types of variables in a model? I feel as if including the variables without doing some sort of transformation is misleading or could misrepresent the importance of spousal information for individuals who have spouses.

Would an interaction term suffice in a GLM?

Would a transformation suffice?

Would two different models be needed (one on married individuals and one of single individuals)?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:31 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam MLC
College: University of Louisville Alumni
Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangold96 View Post
In the sample project, SAGE (spouse age) and SEDUCATION (spouse education) have zeros listed for individuals who do not have a spouse. How should I treat these types of variables in a model? I feel as if including the variables without doing some sort of transformation is misleading or could misrepresent the importance of spousal information for individuals who have spouses.

Would an interaction term suffice in a GLM?

Would a transformation suffice?

Would two different models be needed (one on married individuals and one of single individuals)?
I don't remember the dataset nor the solution but I would think you could create a new married indicator variable for sage or maybe add them together. For education, if it's not clear what it means then test if it's significant and if not throw it out. If it is just mention that it's not clear and would need a SME to provide clarity. Just justify what you do. Just my 2 cents, I'm approaching this exam as if it were a project I had at work.

And NUH is the letter I use to spell Nutches
Who live in small caves, known as Nitches, for hutches,
These Nutches have troubles, the biggest of which is
the fact there are many more Nutches than Nitches.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam MLC
College: University of Louisville Alumni
Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

Some things I'm focusing on/ thinking about: if continuous graph the target and see what kind a distribution it follows. Think of correlated variables logically given the problem and see if you can't combine them. Know how to read residual plots. Know what likelihood and deviance are. Make sure to be able to interpret coefficients in logistic regression where categorical variables give a percentage value in relation to the base. Aic/bic, forward/backward selection, ridge/lasso (all penalty stuff). Be comfortable with trees, forests and how gradient boosting works. If poisson and grouped data you probably want to log the exposures as an offset, on that same note look for over dispersion. Cross validation techniques and why you choose certain parameters. This is jumbled and quick but feel free to add/critique.

And NUH is the letter I use to spell Nutches
Who live in small caves, known as Nitches, for hutches,
These Nutches have troubles, the biggest of which is
the fact there are many more Nutches than Nitches.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:57 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
I should probably know this by now, but I don't. I'm still working through the modules and wondering in the actual exam, do they give you an RMD file that has some code in it already that you will fix/adjust/add on? Like in the examples? Or are we expected to start from scratch?
The code is there, but you have know how to use it and/or modify it to do what you want.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
The code is there, but you have know how to use it and/or modify it to do what you want.
Thanks! I just deleted my post after finding this....I'm should have looked a bit harder before asking.

I got nervous after reading something in mod 6 that I misinterpreted.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:48 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Predictive Analytics
College: UT Austin Alumni
Favorite beer: Weihenstephaner Original
Question Lasso Residual Plot

Does anyone know if there is a quick way within the available packages for the exam to produce residual, qq, leverage, and scale plots for lasso and ridge regression models similar to the plot() output for regular GLMs?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:00 PM
SOA

College: University of Notre Dame

Here's my main question...how many hours are you guys all thinking is a reasonable number to study for this exam? I've only studied 30 hours but feel like I've covered a decent amount of the material so far. So maybe I'll study about 100 or 150 total?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammocksEnrage View Post
Here's my main question...how many hours are you guys all thinking is a reasonable number to study for this exam? I've only studied 30 hours but feel like I've covered a decent amount of the material so far. So maybe I'll study about 100 or 150 total?
Thanks!!! This gives me some hope. I am just getting started but then again I have no prior knowledge in predictive modelling
Old 11-06-2019, 05:31 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammocksEnrage View Post
30 hours should be fine.

Get familiar with modules 6-8, as they will he the bulk of your exam.