Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM
SOA

College: Baruch College, 2017; Auburn University, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
What are some good study materials for this exam? I just finished the IA, debating whether or not I have enough time to re-study and re-take this exam.
I'm actually finding the ACTEX manual to be pretty good. It's not fully released of course, but going through it is really helping solidify some of the topics. Other than that, I'm using ISLR & R for Everyone. I'll switch over to some of the released exams in the next couple of weeks and keep referencing the textbooks and study manuals.

...but... Isn't today the deadline to register? Doesn't seem like you have much time to decide!

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 AM
SOA

I feel like I'm going to fail this sitting. :/

Looking forward to the Actex manual being fully released for my next try, though.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonniemarko View Post
I'm actually finding the ACTEX manual to be pretty good. It's not fully released of course, but going through it is really helping solidify some of the topics. Other than that, I'm using ISLR & R for Everyone. I'll switch over to some of the released exams in the next couple of weeks and keep referencing the textbooks and study manuals.

...but... Isn't today the deadline to register? Doesn't seem like you have much time to decide!
Well I decided to register! Gonna try to pull this off.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:28 PM
SOA

Are there any major differences from the June sitting?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:16 AM
SOA

College: university of central missouri
Default Exam structure

Is the exam structure going to be like June 2019 which have 10 task plus executive summary or will be like in December 2018 which is write a report?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:22 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizby View Post
I passed the June sitting and I wanted to share some notes about my experience that might be useful.

1) The points assigned to each task are not proportional to the amount of time you will spend on them. The first four tasks took me about 3 hours to complete, leaving just over 2 hours for everything else. I initially skipped task 10 to write the executive summary instead, but ended up with plenty of time to go back to it afterwards.

2) They're not testing your ability to code. Probably 90% of the code that you need is already provided by your "assistant." Mostly you just tweak it to make it work. This is overwhelmingly an analysis exam and most of your time will be spent processing results.

3) With prior experience in predictive analytics, I was able to pass by studying the modules for about 6 weeks. I'd say if you've taken a graduate level course in predictive modeling, you will likely have a similar experience. The modules were more of a refresher than anything. I didn't feel I needed any of the recommended textbooks, but I did supplement with online resources where needed (Wikipedia).

4) The sample solution they provided was super helpful - much more than the modules were. It really lays out the SOA's expectations and is fairly easy to replicate. I think my most valuable time spent studying were the last couple days where I just went through the sample task by task and compared my answers to the ones given.

Hope this can be of some help to those getting started for December. Rest assured that you still have plenty of time, even if you've just begun!!
Just did a practice exam for a feel and all of this is SOOO true... preliminary analysis took me half an hour easy and I thought "Wow there's NINE more tasks, and this is the simplest?" You're right that it's about budgeting time. I do have prior PA experience but the time constraint is what is getting me. It's like doing a speed run of a game you've played several times before, it's as if there's a different set of rules at play! I'm focusing on modules 6-8. I just hope that the December exam's more like the structured June 19 exam rather than the Dec 18 one.

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsNoSpoon View Post
I just hope that the December exam's more like the structured June 19 exam rather than the Dec 18 one.
Dec exam syllabus: “The December 2019 exam will be structured in a manner similar to this sample project and to the June 2019 exam.“
Old 11-15-2019, 01:47 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Michigan

I'm trying to go through and build my own GLMs for the sample project in RMD6.8. I don't understand the one where they build the FACEratio gamma/log link glm. I initially didn't include logINCOME as I assumed since the target is FACE/INCOME that I couldn't use this variable. When running the model without logINCOME, I get an error, inner loop 1 cannot correct step size. When I add the variable, I get a warning glm.fit: algorithm did not converge.

I would appreciate any help explaining this since the solution RMD basically glosses over it.

Edit: I also noticed I didn't include SAGE since AGEdiff is a linear combination of AGE and SAGE. Why would they be including this as well?
FSA Mods: FE PRF ERM

Favorite Beer: M-43

Last edited by Chappy; 11-15-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Old 11-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Non-Actuary

I don’t know how to dig into the convergence issue for multi variables, and last sitting’s solution made it seem like being able to explain the issue conceptually is good enough. It should converge if you use Gamma’s canonical link function, which is the negative inverse. Tradeoff is poor interpretability of the predictors’ coefficients.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Georgia State University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
The ACTEX PA manual is self-contained and synthesizes, streamlines, and
augments the material in the PA e-learning modules in a coherent and easy-to-follow manner. There is no need to refer to the modules (which many students think are difficult to digest) or other textbooks for mastering the exam material.

The modules have a sample project which is discussed at the end of each module. The manual does not reproduce this project due to copyright reasons but the skills covered there are well illustrated by a series of case studies in the manual.
Hello Ambroselo,
I just purchased the online version of the material. Where do I go to get started on this. I am little be late in the game so please I am needing this answer as quickly as possible.