Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
It really grinds my gears when updates change settings. Every time my work PC updates it changes my default browser to IE.
Blame your IT people (or their management). They should be controlling the frequency and content of OS updates, not delegating them to the whims of Microsoft. Or maybe your IT team deliberately changed your default browser to IE.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 11-19-2019, 02:12 PM
CAS

i'm able to set the hours during which updates are applied. looks like i can defer them 30 something days so as to not get caught up in the initial update problems. i can live with that

i'm on the home version. i think pro version gives greater controls over updates
Old 11-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Blame your IT people (or their management). They should be controlling the frequency and content of OS updates, not delegating them to the whims of Microsoft. Or maybe your IT team deliberately changed your default browser to IE.
I have done some googling in the past. It sounds like this is related to enterprise settings, but it is Microsoft's default to reset the browser. So I'm blaming half lazy IT, and half Microsoft.

I probably came off as more negative than I meant to because I do like the OS compared to alternatives. I just really dislike them messing with my settings every update.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:53 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

I marked my home wifi as metered, so now it won't force updates without asking me.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.