Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 PM
CAS

Alright changed to the ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard:
  • Works with all Intel gen 9 CPUs (allows potential future upgrade to i9)
  • Two M2 ports and 6 SATA ports, though it sounds like using an M2 takes up 2 SATA ports with it. I only need 1 M2 and 1 SATA so good there unless multiple other parts use M2/SATA and I haven't noticed yet... my next step should probably be to watch another building video now that I know wtf everything is some of the parts are.
  • 7 standard USB: Two 3.1 gen 1, three 3.1 gen 2, two 2.0.
  • 1 USB type C
  • RAM allows DDR4 at 3200HZ and beyond, 4 slots up to 64GB
  • 3 PCI-E x16 Slots
  • Audio is... unclear? They're a bit dodgy on that, even their own website says "Upgrade to unrivalled audio" which makes me question if the audio is there or I'm supposed to buy a part to get it. Also that's not how you spell unrivaled. Based on Amazon people use the built in audio so I'll try it and if it's shit I'll buy a soundcard. I'm not an audiophile anyway so mediocre and excellent will probably sound the same to me.
That's all I got for today, tomorrow will likely revisit cooling.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
One day I'll be done with exams and I'll have free time for projects like this...
Hit the nail on the head. This is what happens when an actuary finishes exams and suddenly has free time to go with his expendable income. Gonna nerd the **** out.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 PM
CAS

As far as fans the NZXT H700 comes with 3 Aer 120mm and 1 Aer 140mm. Part of revisiting cooling will likely be reviewing fan positioning.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
[*]7 standard USB: Two 3.1 gen 1, three 3.1 gen 2, two 2.0.[*]1 USB type C
Yeah, definitely better to have more USB, so this is worth the upgrade.

Also, forgot about USB-C, that's becoming more common so you're gonna be glad you have at least one. Haven't seen two many that have more than one yet. Plus you can get a hub if it becomes necessary later.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 AM

I'm curious as to why you are going with the 9700k as opposed to the 3700x? My understanding was that the 3700x is basically on par with the 9700k for single thread performance and out performs it on multi-thread tests. It's also a bit cheaper too.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I'm curious as to why you are going with the 9700k as opposed to the 3700x? My understanding was that the 3700x is basically on par with the 9700k for single thread performance and out performs it on multi-thread tests. It's also a bit cheaper too.
The Ryzen 3700x would need a different CPU socket and therefore a different motherboard. In addition, most games are not good at making use of more than 4 threads, so the 16 threads of the Ryzen won't provide a worthwhile boost over the 8 core, 8 thread i7-9700k.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I know that I'm late to the thread, but a few months ago I replaced a 5 year-old business-class tower with an off-the-shelf gaming PC. (I'm not a gamer, but other hobby interests had me seeking gaming-level performance). I would have built my own, but I didn't feel like I had enough free time in the schedule...and there was a machine on sale that seemed virtually perfect.

I offer a couple of thoughts based on the experience:

1. I went with a 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD drive arrangement, with the OS and applications living on the SSD, and personal data living on the HDD. I think I got a good balance between performance (boot, shutdown, application starts are all screaming fast) and cost.

I briefly thought about splurging so I could have on-board RAID 1 protection, but decided that was excessive as I already have a NAS with 10TB of RAID 1 storage on the network, primarily for backups and file archival purposes.

2. Don't skimp on the power supply. One of the reasons I finally got fed up with the older tower was that it was underpowered for all the USB devices I plug in (other hobby use). 650W is probably fine.

3. I am amazed at how much heat this machine puts off (i7-9700 CPU with an RTX 2080 GPU). The old tower lived in a cubby in my home office desk that I could close off and keep the cat out of. I ended up having to take the door off the cubby, replace it with a screen (the cat was attracted to the heat), and I positioned an external fan to facilitate air movement around the machine / disperse heat from the cubby. I would be worried, except I went back, reading specs etc. and realized that this is what I should have expected.

4. I am not an audiophile. I use one of my monitors as my audio device; sound is regular HDMI, and I suspect that the onboard sound processing isn't tapped for that use. I did add a sound card, as I needed two sets of physical speaker/mic ports for hobby use, but I was disappointed to see that adding the sound card disabled the onboard audio ports. I ended up still having to use a USB device for the second set of ports I needed.

5. I can't speak to the value of 1080 vs 1440 monitors, but I will mention that I LOVE ultra-wide 21:9 format monitors. I have two such monitors in my home office, plus a third 1080p 16:9 monitor that theoretically doubles as a TV.

6. For memory, I went with 32GB DDR4 @ 2666, which was the best I could do off-the-shelf given budget and other requirements. I knew from the prior machine that 16GB wasn't enough, and I figured that I could upgrade later if I needed to. So far, I normally hum along at 40-50% of RAM utilization, and I don't recall having seen above 75%. Your mileage may vary, depending on your planned use, of course.

7. Regarding networking...I think that's very much an "it depends on your circumstances" kind of thing. I have skepticism for networking-over-power line adapters, because of the RF interference they can generate, and because I've lived in places with older wiring where I would be extremely distrustful of such.

I currently have a Netgear Orbi system in the house, with one base unit and one satellite. Rather than standard mesh, the system uses a separate wide 5GHz backhaul channel to maximize speed. In my 1990's era house, going 35 feet laterally and down one floor, I get about 450 Mbs internet download speed at the satellite (vs 800-900Mbs coming down the CAT 7 from the modem to the main unit), fast enough that I don't notice issues with streaming video applications running full screen even with other traffic on the network (35 devices on at the moment). Performance likely wouldn't be that good if you were in a building with steel construction, or an older house with plaster walls. Also, I live in the exurbs, so WiFi interference from neighbors doesn't slow things down too much.

My only real problem with Orbi is that Netgear was pushing bad firmware updates for a while, so there were times where the router would crash unexpectedly until I could roll back and block a particular update. The experience annoyed me enough that I'll probably shell out to upgrade to a full-fledged Ubiquiti network the next time the toy budget is sufficiently replenished and I have the time.

At the last house I rented...about 20 years ago....I just ran ethernet around the edges of a couple of rooms.

Last edited by Maphisto's Sidekick; 08-20-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
The Ryzen 3700x would need a different CPU socket and therefore a different motherboard. In addition, most games are not good at making use of more than 4 threads, so the 16 threads of the Ryzen won't provide a worthwhile boost over the 8 core, 8 thread i7-9700k.
I was thinking the 3700x was cheaper than the 9700k at the moment (which it is on newegg and amazon) but I'm seeing some good deals when I look at microcenter which makes the 9700k a little cheaper (by $30). If that's the case I can see going with the 9700k but I'd probably still rather spend the extra $30 for more threads.

Are the intel socket motherboards better than the AMD motherboards at the moment?

I'm mainly asking these questions out of curiosity. I've been vaguely paying attention to the market and may do an upgrade later in the year (possible black friday sales).
Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I was thinking the 3700x was cheaper than the 9700k at the moment (which it is on newegg and amazon) but I'm seeing some good deals when I look at microcenter which makes the 9700k a little cheaper (by $30). If that's the case I can see going with the 9700k but I'd probably still rather spend the extra $30 for more threads.

Are the intel socket motherboards better than the AMD motherboards at the moment?

I'm mainly asking these questions out of curiosity. I've been vaguely paying attention to the market and may do an upgrade later in the year (possible black friday sales).
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM
SOA

That seems like a really good motherboard choice. In pure budget builds it can make sense to get a very simple non-future proof motherboard with not as many slots and connections, but with your build I think that will work well in the long run and short run.

I just revisited your build. I would say that if you are worried about running over your budget at this point (and if you wanna upgrade cooling), then the 2nd 1TB SSD seems like the easiest thing to cut and have no impact on your build. However, this completely depends on your expected usage. IDK if you are into photo or video editing, or really anything else that will take up large amounts of storage. If so, then definitely accommodate that, but if you think games and game related files/programs are going to be the primary storage usage, then I don't think you will hit 1TB within in the first year and maybe even the second year. Basically, it won't be an immediate need and is something that can be added later as desired/needed.