Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM
CAS

Struggling a little to reduce the monitor price without also feeling like I should switch out the GPU. G-sync compatibility seems to add a lot to the price, but free-sync not so much. Feels weird getting a free-sync monitor when my choice of Nvidia means I can't use that feature. Per DjPim's comment maybe I shouldn't be concerned with that at all? If 165HZ is excessive what should I consider a reasonable range?

Might buy the PC and then wait a bit to see if monitors go on sale, plug into the living room TV for the lolz at first.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Alright. Soooo one last chance to tell me I'm making a dumb**** decision with anything:

I will likely dwell for a bit and think on my life choices and whether or not $2500 is better spent on a trip to France or some shit before pulling the trigger. Actually I do have a lot of free time now that I'm a Fellow... **** it let's go to France too amirite?
Great thing about getting a PC is you can load up Google Earth and go to France from your office. Or get a game like Assassin's Creed and visit Notre Dame before it burned.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Might buy the PC and then wait a bit to see if monitors go on sale, plug into the living room TV for the lolz at first.
Good choice. At least you know your TV is working.

One of the risks of building a new PC from scratch, and an important reason why I don't build from scratch anymore, is if it doesn't work when you put it all together, it can be a major pain to figure out which one (or more) of the dozen parts is bad.

These days I only buy full systems (used), then upgrade the RAM, video card and hard drive/SSD one at a time, connected to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor that are known to work. Then once it's all working I may consider a CPU upgrade and/or new monitor/keyboard/etc.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 AM

Personally speaking I would drop the liquid cooling and just go with a nice fan cooler. You said in your initial post that you aren't going to overclock anyways so the liquid cooling seems like a waste of money. A good fan (Cooler Master 212) will save you $100, produce the same performance, and will be quieter.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM
SOA

I bought a 1080p 144hz monitor with free-sync last Black Friday even though I have an Nvidia GPU (ie; I get nothing out of it having free-sync). To me it isn't a big deal and with the quality of your build you probably wouldn't be getting a ton out of free-sync/g-sync anyway so I wouldn't get too torn up about it. There are much fewer monitors with G-sync enabled and the prices are significantly higher to get monitors with it for sure. It's true you probably wouldn't get all that much out of a 165hz vs 144hz monitor (in terms of being able to tell the difference), but it is still a banging monitor.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
One of the risks of building a new PC from scratch, and an important reason why I don't build from scratch anymore, is if it doesn't work when you put it all together, it can be a major pain to figure out which one (or more) of the dozen parts is bad.
Yeah this does make me nervous. I remember reading at one point that some motherboards have readouts with error codes you can look up to narrow down issues.

I may pay a small premium to buy from amazon vs a cheaper retailer because I'm more confident in getting replacements for faulty parts from amazon.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
List looks great! I got the exact same power supply and AIO cooler and they're working great for me. Your case seems to come with 3x120 fans in front and 1x140 in the rear, so your 2x140 AIO should fit fine on top as exhaust and you don't need to get any more fans.
What are the 2x140 AIO fans you are referring to?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
What are the 2x140 AIO fans you are referring to?
Think he means the ones attached to the water cooling unit.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
SOA

Also just general comment, that you seem to be iffy on caring about aesthetics. You are the one that will looking it every day, but I just mean that something like your CPU cooler could probably get comparable results with a cheaper alternative (normal fan or liquid cooled still) if the looks don't matter as much. I'll frame this comment as follows: your build is good. Outside the monitor, the decisions now are really just how much you care ($ and effort) to theme the build versus only price/performance. Details like color of RAM, any RGB, which liquid cooler, replacing case fans with RGB ones, etc.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Think he means the ones attached to the water cooling unit.
Ah, I've never owned one so I didn't know that was a thing.