Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM
CAS

Default How to implement binned/combined variables into rating plan?

1) I am using an indicator variable in a GLM (i.e. 1 or 0) to capture a variable that is 0,1,2,3. I'm doing this because of thin data at 2 and 3.

To implement into rating plan, is it as simple as doing exp(coefficient*2) for 2 and exp(coefficient*3) for 3?

2) Another question, I am using a sum of frequencies as a variable. Each individual term in the sum relates to a cause of loss. Do I use the coefficient that comes out of the GLM for each of the cause of losses?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

IANA-GLM expert, but:

1) sounds wrong...seems like you should just use '0' and '1+', or judgmentally pick something for 2 and 3 that makes sense despite the thin data if you must have explicit values.

2) my understanding here is that you should be doing separate GLMs for the different perils (how do you define an exposure base if multiple perils are modeled at once?), then combining those GLM results/selections after the fact. I think CAS monograph 5 addresses this to some degree with respect to homeowners in particular. I've also heard detailed conversation at a couple conferences with respect to GLM by-peril rating that implies this as well.

Full disclosure: anyone else's answer here is probably better than mine.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:13 AM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post

1) sounds wrong...seems like you should just use '0' and '1+', or judgmentally pick something for 2 and 3 that makes sense despite the thin data if you must have explicit values.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post

2) my understanding here is that you should be doing separate GLMs for the different perils (how do you define an exposure base if multiple perils are modeled at once?), then combining those GLM results/selections after the fact. I think CAS monograph 5 addresses this to some degree with respect to homeowners in particular. I've also heard detailed conversation at a couple conferences with respect to GLM by-peril rating that implies this as well.
also
Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokiwah View Post
1) I am using an indicator variable in a GLM (i.e. 1 or 0) to capture a variable that is 0,1,2,3. I'm doing this because of thin data at 2 and 3.

To implement into rating plan, is it as simple as doing exp(coefficient*2) for 2 and exp(coefficient*3) for 3?

2) Another question, I am using a sum of frequencies as a variable. Each individual term in the sum relates to a cause of loss. Do I use the coefficient that comes out of the GLM for each of the cause of losses?
How thin is that thin data? Are talking those levels having 15 claims across all perils? Do you get reasonable results but have extremely wide confidence intervals if you model them as separate levels?

What do you get if you still fit a linear (i.e., polynomial) model to this variable?

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES