Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
Luck is absolutely a part of the equation for all of us. I feel he would have felt as "successful" had he simply reached manager vs. owner. You may not agree. You and I can each choose different lessons to take from the same story.

I'd say "I worked as hard as I needed to. But I was comfortable in that choice, and things worked out better than I expected." Though I'd also add that owning a business generally adds stress to one's life.
I just think it's a bad story to equate average with non-average. You see that a lot in propaganda. The idea is to make lower-class people feel like they are secretly a part of the upper-class (they just haven't gotten there yet). Do you remember "Joe the Plumber"? There's a reason McCain chose to say "Joe the Plumber" and not "Joe the Neurosurgeon" or "Joe the professional football player".

Then you give a gift to upper-class people, and lower-class people feel like they are getting that gift too. (only they aren't, and never will).

Yes, in some sense luck is a part of all of us. I was lucky to be born with lots of advantages and I worked to make the best of them. If he were to admit the same, it wouldn't rankle me. But he doesn't, because then you would not consider him "average".

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 11-15-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 11-15-2019, 01:05 PM
CAS

average in what respect? If you're average in all possible metrics, you are probably fine. But likely there are many factors that you CANT control (charisma, looks, height, gender, ethnicity, etc). These all have social influences on your success as well.

And everyone here is focusing on grades/intelligence/money. So if you have average grades,money, or intelligence and are below average on all characteristics, you are likely to live a below average life.

Even lots of us here (who likely make more money than average) have below average lives because we don't overcompensate in the areas that we could. For some people, they are so below average in physical appearance that they try to be above average when it comes to money so they can compensate for their deficiencies.

It's important imo to look into your kid holistically to see whether or not he's truly going to live an average life or if he's going to live a below average life because 0 and -1 still average out negative.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
Average people are mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
More like average people want to see smart/succesful people fail in order to feel better about themselves.
OK, who isn't laughing at this complete failure of reading comprehension?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
OK, who isn't laughing at this complete failure of reading comprehension?
I thought about making a comment, but he's been taking a lot of Ls lately.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 11-15-2019, 01:17 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

The problem with "average" is that it starts out with the assumptions that you should be comparing yourself to everyone else, that an "average" person is even possible in sum, and that we are better in our sameness than in our uniqueness.

In some ways, this makes sense. In most ways, it really doesn't. Your genetics will take you so far. You can improve yourself through hard work a bit beyond that. But all of us are limited. So pushing your children for "above average" in something is 1) pretty fruitless, and 2) likely to have the opposite effect. Everyone is above average in some ways and below in others. Most people are statistically close to average in almost everything. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as they're being true to themselves.

There's nothing wrong with leaning into who you are, improving where you truly desiring to improve, and accepting the parts you don't want to work on. We should be teaching this to our children as well. Encourage your kids to do their best, because their potential is unique to them. Don't push them to achieve something out of reach.

I want my kids to be happy more than I want them to meet some arbitrary standard of success. Happiness begins with loving who you are. If I encourage my children to love who they are, appreciate themselves and their potential rather than spending all their time comparing themselves to others, I think I'll have a better chance at raising children who find a way to contribute to society without having to sacrifice something they love in themselves to do it.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
average in what respect? If you're average in all possible metrics, you are probably fine. But likely there are many factors that you CANT control (charisma, looks, height, gender, ethnicity, etc). These all have social influences on your success as well.
I know this is kind of beside the point, but I think looks are pretty controllable. You can't make yourself taller, or make yourself put on weight in friendlier areas. But most people can make themselves leaner and healthier looking through diet and exercise.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 11-15-2019, 01:19 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I thought about making a comment, but he's been taking a lot of Ls lately.
He used to take a lot of Ls. He still does, but he used to, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
He used to take a lot of Ls. He still does, but he used to, too.

Spoiler:

The short list
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I know this is kind of beside the point, but I think looks are pretty controllable. You can't make yourself taller, or make yourself put on weight in friendlier areas. But most people can make themselves leaner and healthier looking through diet and exercise.
yeah i was talking about things you cant control. So if you're really short, and you just wanna be an average weight then most would still see you as below average.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Interestingly enough, I just listened to a podcast where Tina Fey talked about how attractive her 5'1 husband of 20 years is. Everyone has a type I guess.

So "average" looks are sort of hard to nail down.

Spoiler:

The short list