Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-08-2019, 03:04 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Eh.

Iíve got zero interest in building a gaming PC. A console is easy: buy the system, and Iíve got a set of specs that simply work for the next decade. Graphics might not be as good as a PC, but graphical improvements have pretty much plateaued in recent years. I didnít notice a huge improvement going from PS3 graphics to PS4 graphics, for instance, and I suspect the jump to PS5 graphics will be even smaller.

Effort is a lot different too. If I build a PC, and I have to spend a ton of time researching components, understanding how to build it, configuring settings, etc. With a console, I spend $X, plug it in, and Iím good to go.
I'm surprised that there isn't a bigger market for this, pre-built computers meant to compete with consoles in terms of performance and convenience. I think valve tried to do that but it failed miserably for some reason.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
I'm surprised that there isn't a bigger market for this, pre-built computers meant to compete with consoles in terms of performance and convenience. I think valve tried to do that but it failed miserably for some reason.
You can buy pre-built computers. The problem is still that a computer with the same gaming capability of a console is far more expensive. it's just a different market imo.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
...last of us, god of war and bloodborne.
Those are enough to get me to buy a PS5 imo.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:28 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom
Smile

Quote:
I really don't understand the value proposition of any new consoles.
They are justified by exclusives, especially if you like single player games with good stories, then you are in for a treat. Many if not most of the highest rated games in any generations are console exclusives.

Nintendo: Mario, Pokťmon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Sony: Persona 5, Most of the Yakuza Games, God of War, Spider-Man, The last of Us, Uncharted, Shadow of Colossus, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, ....

Damn, I should be saving for a PS5 Pro now

ACAS 7 8 9

Last edited by trueblade; 10-08-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, they built a PC meant for the living room at a price point of around $600 when PS4 and Xbone were $350-$400. And when you put a PC in the living room, you either need to work with an awkward mouse/keyboard setup, or run some kind of custom OS that's workable with only a controller. I don't remember the OS that came on the Steam machine. If it was Steam's Linux one, then you also had to deal with the library issue, which isn't great now, but was even worse when the Steam machine was released. I could see Valve or M$ solving the OS issue by the end of the next generation life cycle.

I believe that the role of consoles will change dramatically during the next generation. Exclusives and getting "whatever your friends play on" are the main reasons for buying a console ("it just works" and "the human eye can only see 30 fps" don't hold up under scrutiny). Cross platform play is fixing one of the issues, and will likely push players to the PC due to the competitive advantage gained with M+KB. Microsoft is making a lot of their exclusives available on PC (they've said they think the next generation will be the last). And Sony has a few good series, but nothing that I would buy a console to play one game a year.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
this are serious thread about video games. take that shit about your difficulties working your internet machine somewhere else.

I jumped on and played some Rocket League last night. In the current Rocket Pass, I'm around level 45, which means I haven't been playing as much of the game lately. Anyways, I was feeling pretty good, movement felt very intuitive and I played quite well. Jumped into some 3's (because that's what was required for RocketPass challenges) and wound up getting more than a couple MVP nods. That's unusual for me as I typically take on a more defensive role. Best game of the night from a stat line perspective: I had 2 goals on 5 shots, 4 assists, and 4 saves. 2 of those saves were absolute robberies, I was even a little bit shocked that I made the play.

My rotations seem decent, and my play in the corners has certainly improved over a couple months ago. I think the biggest spots I need to work on now are maintaining possession in the midfield with dribbling the ball better, and challenging aerial balls in front of the net (both offensive and defensive). If I could confidently go for balls sooner and take them higher in the air, I would increase both my goals scored and reduce the number of goals allowed.

I haven't been playing a ton this season, but I've been struggling when I do. I got my two's placement around Plat 2, but I've been playing so poorly that by the time I finished my gold rewards, I was down to Gold 3. I tried to grind my way back up, but bottomed out in Gold 2 (if I play decent, I'm back into a position to be back in plat in an evening). I had to do my three's placement matches to get my plat rewards, but I'm still only about 40% through the rocket pass rewards.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:32 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
I haven't been playing a ton this season, but I've been struggling when I do. I got my two's placement around Plat 2, but I've been playing so poorly that by the time I finished my gold rewards, I was down to Gold 3. I tried to grind my way back up, but bottomed out in Gold 2 (if I play decent, I'm back into a position to be back in plat in an evening). I had to do my three's placement matches to get my plat rewards, but I'm still only about 40% through the rocket pass rewards.
Plat 2? A couple more wins in 2's and I might be back up to my high water mark of Silver 3. Struggle is relative.

But that obsidian paint finish...
Old 10-08-2019, 06:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Exclusives and getting "whatever your friends play on" are the main reasons for buying a console ("it just works" and "the human eye can only see 30 fps" don't hold up under scrutiny).
I disagree that those are the main reasons people buy consoles.
- I like playing with a controller on my TV instead of on a computer screen with a keyboard and mouse
- The PS4 playing Blu-Ray / DVDs is a huge selling point, especially for non-gamers
- Consoles are cheaper than any gaming laptop, and who owns a desktop pc these days?
- While getting Steam and playing a game that way is easy, it is easier IMO for a non-gaming parent to understand purchasing a console / games for their kids.
- I am on a computer all day at work. I do not want to be on a computer once I am off of work, even for gaming.
- Getting "whatever your friends play" is the decision between PS4/Xbox, not PC or console.

If you are a hardcore gamer PC is likely the way to go, for the advantages in multiplayer and overall controls. But for the vast majority of video game players, a console does not detract from the experience.

Also back when PS4 / Xbox One came out, people were saying that was going to be the last generation of consoles. https://www.cnet.com/news/why-xbox-o...n-of-consoles/
Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Eh.

Iíve got zero interest in building a gaming PC. A console is easy: buy the system, and Iíve got a set of specs that simply work for the next decade. Graphics might not be as good as a PC, but graphical improvements have pretty much plateaued in recent years. I didnít notice a huge improvement going from PS3 graphics to PS4 graphics, for instance, and I suspect the jump to PS5 graphics will be even smaller.

Effort is a lot different too. If I build a PC, and I have to spend a ton of time researching components, understanding how to build it, configuring settings, etc. With a console, I spend $X, plug it in, and Iím good to go.
This... plus I don't want to play with other people anyway.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Those are enough to get me to buy a PS5 imo.
Also Horizon Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one