Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_tree View Post
I just read about a related study last night. Something along the lines of "the more fashion magazines women subscribe to, the lower their self-image."
We should raise taxes on fashion magazines. Then women would not buy so many. They would not have lower self-images. They would not turn to food for comfort. The obesity epidemic would be over.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Officially Funny
SOA

Studying for BAC
College: Landover Baptist University
Favorite beer: Dry Gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
We should raise taxes on fashion magazines. Then women would not buy so many. They would not have lower self-images. They would not turn to food for comfort. The obesity epidemic would be over.
No. those kinds of women would have less money to buy food and thus be skinnier.

It's a win-win.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for life
College: Several, teacher and student
Favorite beer: I like milk (2% preferred).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_tree View Post
I just read about a related study last night. Something along the lines of "the more fashion magazines women subscribe to, the lower their self-image."
I know I posted a link to this installment of snide remarks in a different thread, but your post made me think of it again, and it's just a link anyway.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Studying for nication

Not a study, but news that fits the category, Botox injections might cause botulism! Wow so deadly chemicals are dangerous.

The Associated Press
The popular anti-wrinkle drug Botox and a competitor, Myobloc, have been linked to some deaths and other severe side effects suggestive of botulism, the U.S. Food and Drug Agency warned doctors Friday.
The drugs use botulinum toxin, which blocks nerve impulses to muscles, causing them to relax.
Botox uses botulinum toxin, which blocks nerve impulses to muscles, causing them to relax.
(CBC) But in rare cases, the toxin might have spread beyond the injection site to other parts of the body, resulting in such problems as paralysis of respiratory muscles and difficulty swallowing, the FDA said.
The FDA said the deaths were all among child patients, mostly those with cerebral palsy being treated for limb spasms, a condition the FDA has never formally approved for the drugs' use, although other countries have.
The problems may be caused by overdoses of the drugs, the FDA said.
Caroline Van Hove, a spokeswoman for Botox maker Allergan Inc., said children with cerebral palsy have far larger doses injected into their leg muscles than the doses given adults seeking wrinkle care.
Continue Article
But the FDA warned that it also has reports of side effects in people of all ages given the drugs for a variety of conditions.
Friday's warning came two weeks after the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen petitioned the FDA to strengthen warnings to users of Botox and Myobloc. Public Citizen cited 180 reports of U.S. patients suffering fluid in the lungs, difficulty swallowing or pneumonia, including 16 deaths.
It is not the first warning about the potential for botulinum toxin to spread after the drugs' injection; the products' labels say it can happen.
The FDA said Friday that its investigation into the side effects is still in the early stages.
For now, the agency said, doctors should warn all patients receiving a botulinum toxin injection, whether for cosmetic purposes or as a medical treatment, to seek immediate care if they experience difficulty swallowing or breathing, slurred speech or muscle weakness.
That falls short of Public Citizen's request that the agency put a black-box warning, the FDA's sternest, on the drugs' labels and require that every patient receive a pamphlet outlining the risk before every injection.
"Every doctor needs to be notified about this, Every patient needs to be notified," Public Citizen's Dr. Sidney Wolfe said. "Children are showing the way, unfortunately some dead children."
He said drug regulators in Britain and Germany last year required sterner warnings be sent to every doctor in those countries.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1798

Quote:
A study found that when hungry volunteers were shown a picture of a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a screwdriver, the sugary snack sent the brain into overdrive.

The same response did not occur after participants had stuffed themselves with up to eight of them.

Researchers at Northwestern University in Chicago carried out functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) brain scans while volunteers were shown the pictures.

After the eating binge, neither image generated much of a reaction.

But after volunteers had fasted for eight hours, two distinct parts of the brain "lit up" at the sight of the doughnuts.

The first was the limbic brain, an ancestral part of the brain present in all animals from frogs to humans.

"That part of the brain is able to detect what is motivationally significant," said Dr Marsel Mesulam, senior author of the research published on line in the journal Cerebral Cortex.

"It says, not only am I hungry, but here is food."

Next the brain's spatial attention network locked onto the doughnuts, deciding they were more important than the screwdrivers.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
SOA

I thought we were talking about the alcoholic drink.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
I thought we were talking about the alcoholic drink.
Me too...until you commented. Thanks for ruining it.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
smash through to victory
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: whatever makes me look hot in her eyes.

i just walked past a plate of chocolate chip cookies and totally felt my brain go into overdrive.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

study shows philly's water has drugs in it.....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Studying for nication

Volunteers fasted for 8 hours, sound so much more scientific than, we grabbed some people who skipped lunch