Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:50 PM
CAS SOA

Default Entry Level Resume Critique

Hi everyone, I'm about to graduate in August, and I've been constantly applying for entry level jobs. After reading many of the resume critiques here, I've updated my resume, but I know it could still use some work. I've included my resume before I updated it (Resume Advice 1), and my resume after updating it (Resume Advice). Any suggestions and criticism is appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume Advice.pdf (68.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Resume Advice 1.pdf (65.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM
SOA AAA

Quick Thoughts:

The professional summary seems superfluous, and a couple things there might concern me. You call yourself an accomplished statistician, but nothing in your resume backs that up. You also mention looking for a position in a fast-growth company, which could severely limit you -- not a great idea when looking for an entry-level position.

Something bugs me about the format. Removing the professional summary and adding a bit more space between the other sections might help somewhat.

The bullet points under Experience don't use a consistent verb tense.

You don't need more than two bullet points per job since these are just simple summer jobs -- you could free up some more space by condensing down what you have to two bullet points. I recommend removing the third one from the customer service job and the first one from the loader job.

If you have space, adding "all VEE requirements met" or something similar to the exam section wouldn't hurt, although it's not necessary.