Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 AM
SOA

So, it turns out the JBL has a great return policy. They will even pay for return shipping. So I went ahead and ordered both the 580 and the 590. I will return whichever one I don't want to keep!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-14-2017, 09:33 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
So, it turns out the JBL has a great return policy. They will even pay for return shipping. So I went ahead and ordered both the 580 and the 590. I will return whichever one I don't want to keep!

Thanks for all the help!
I haven't heard the 580. I see what they are saying about advantages of the 580. OTOH, the 590 is a bit more efficient and larger drivers have some advantages. Hopefully you like one pair enough to keep, let me know!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM
SOA

Any recommendations on center? I hate most center speakers. Very thin sound.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Picked up a JTR Orbit Shifter sub. Horn-loaded 18" with a 4kW amp. It's terrifying, I've never heard a sub with this kind of output. I had an SVS PB-13, the biggest one SVS builds. The JTR is on another level altogether. One problem: wiring. This thing needs its own 40A service. It dims all the lights when you crank it. On a 15A breaker I'm limited to maybe 2kW.

Here's the link. Yes, it's rather large. TWSS.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/orbit-shifter-lfu/
Drool. So what is your whole setup?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
Drool. So what is your whole setup?
Yamaha Aventage receiver (forget the model). Currently using Klipsch CF-4 speakers, waiting on my Gedlee to get built. Subs: JTR Orbit Shifter, Seaton Submersive, pair of Tekton 21". Have the Dynaco tube amp to try out. I use a DSP to dial in the subs, with data coming from a Dayton OmniMic.

It's all in flux right now. I'm betting on high-efficiency mains and multiple subs as being my preferred solution. Will see soon if I'm on the right track.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Yamaha Aventage receiver (forget the model). Currently using Klipsch CF-4 speakers, waiting on my Gedlee to get built. Subs: JTR Orbit Shifter, Seaton Submersive, pair of Tekton 21". Have the Dynaco tube amp to try out. I use a DSP to dial in the subs, with data coming from a Dayton OmniMic.

It's all in flux right now. I'm betting on high-efficiency mains and multiple subs as being my preferred solution. Will see soon if I'm on the right track.
High efficiency mains is definitely sweet. I've got the front as JTR 228HT (early model, before the horn was built into the enclosure) with an active prototype version of the Craigsub SS-18.1. The L/R are being powered by an Emotiva XPA-2 with the center and in-ceiling rears going off the receiver. I would love to upgrade the rears and have a better sub setup, but what I have is already excessive for my place as there is always a rattle chase to be had.

I think you'll love the move to Gedlee. It's fun to have mains that dig deep like those CF-4, but unless you're focusing on stereo without subs I don't think you'll miss that extension one bit.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
High efficiency mains is definitely sweet. I've got the front as JTR 228HT (early model, before the horn was built into the enclosure) with an active prototype version of the Craigsub SS-18.1. The L/R are being powered by an Emotiva XPA-2 with the center and in-ceiling rears going off the receiver. I would love to upgrade the rears and have a better sub setup, but what I have is already excessive for my place as there is always a rattle chase to be had.

I think you'll love the move to Gedlee. It's fun to have mains that dig deep like those CF-4, but unless you're focusing on stereo without subs I don't think you'll miss that extension one bit.
Nice setup! I've been using multiple subs for a couple of years, and think it's the way to go for a flat response. Plus more SPL, but my goal was a flat response first and foremost. The mains are almost always equidistant from the back wall, and often equidistant from side walls, which is a recipe for nasty room modes. You can't EQ that away. 3-4 subs scattered around the room hitting different modes is a big step forward. I'm +/- about 2dB all the way down to about 14Hz.

I ran the CF4 full range off my Mac gear until I sold it. With the new receiver they play 80Hz and up. Taking the bass out of them really cleaned up the sound. No desire here for full range mains ever again. Well, ask me again next month!

I hope the Gedlee live up to the hype. Earl is retiring, so it was now or never. Unless he comes out of retirement, I will own the last pair of Gedlee ever made. Very cool.

Oh. I've never heard the Craigsub. But my Seaton has a pair of 15" Eminence drivers in a sealed box. It's one of the best subs I've ever heard. SQ is a bit better than the JTR. And while the JTR has more output, the Seaton gets very, very loud.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 AM
SOA

Can't wait to try out the JBL Studio 580's vs the 590's, especially after watching this review of the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_k340af38

and his very well recorded sound demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETpzJoX1SFc

I also bought the center channel speaker that goes with it, but I'm not nearly as excited about it. I found out last night that my pre/pro can do "4.1" sound without a center channel. I might actually prefer that sound, as good as my fronts are likely to be. I'm hoping the pre/pro will give me full control over the level of this "virtual center" channel.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:34 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Can't wait to try out the JBL Studio 580's vs the 590's, especially after watching this review of the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_k340af38

and his very well recorded sound demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETpzJoX1SFc

I also bought the center channel speaker that goes with it, but I'm not nearly as excited about it. I found out last night that my pre/pro can do "4.1" sound without a center channel. I might actually prefer that sound, as good as my fronts are likely to be. I'm hoping the pre/pro will give me full control over the level of this "virtual center" channel.
If you sit dead center, then a center channel really isn't needed. It is useful to help anchor dialog to the screen if you or someone else sits to the side. You can certainly play around with the settings, or unplugging the center altogether, and see what works.

I bought some older Klipsch gear to play with, this is motivating me to get that set up. I've the RC3 center, and both RS3 and RS7 surrounds.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 PM
SOA

Received my Outlaw Ultra-X12 subwoofer today. I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. That room really swallows up smaller subwoofers. I may get a second one down the road. No way my wife would agree to a second right now, with all the audio spending I've already done.