Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Default New car - looking for really good lease

Hey! I currently drive a Camry, have been for 25 years. My youngest is inheriting it soon. Iím looking for a REALLY good lease on a same size car or even a crossover. Seems every site that I look at has a default special and if I look at inventory I have to put my name and email/number to get anywhere. Thus Iíll get hundreds of dealers trying to get in touch with me. Anyone know of the good deals right now? Thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 PM
SOA

What made you decide to start leasing over owning? I thought leasing was only beneficial if you end up trading it in for a newer model every 3 years or so?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

2018s will continue to deepen on discounts through the holidays. I don't find there are great "lease deals" - when you read the fine print, look at the assumed purchase price, compare to invoice... it's not invoice.

You can lease any car. Negotiate your price and then ask for a lease on it. Then ask for a breakdown of the components (residual and money factor) to check for reasonability.

The cheapest leases are bare bones versions of low-depreciation brands. Crossovers may be expensive on paper but perhaps higher residuals due to demand in the used market.

Leases are just very difficult to compare because residual data is not so easily accessible. Residuals are set by the car brand owned financial institutions in a little table that changes monthly.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:26 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Oh, I forgot, just go find a lease swap online.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
SOA

I will get the Camry back in two years when 16 y/o goes off to college. So I don't really want to buy another vehicle. A $250/mo lease (I think Chevy Malibu or VW Golf) seem to be the ones that usually have the lease deals. I know once you load em up with Nav, leather, rims, etc... they can get pricy.

I saw a Ford F-150 for $199/mo just passing a dealer. This'd be a neat vehicle to lease for a 2 year timeframe. I will go take a look at it and report back.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 PM

There's a lot of fine print on leases, and I think you end up paying a lot more that the bait-and-switch listed payment.

Sales taxes can be higher than expected, depending on what state you are in. (IDK about WI) Also, the fine print may list a "capital cost reduction payment" (ie a downpayment) which is misleading.

An F150 for $199/mo is going to be very bare bones.

I can go buy a $100,000 Mercedes convertible for payments of only $199 per month (with a 95k downpayment).
Old 06-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Non-Actuary

You sure you'll want it back in 2 years, after it's been through a couple accidents?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I don't find there are great "lease deals" - when you read the fine print, look at the assumed purchase price, compare to invoice... it's not invoice.

Leases are just very difficult to compare because residual data is not so easily accessible. Residuals are set by the car brand owned financial institutions in a little table that changes monthly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
There's a lot of fine print on leases, and I think you end up paying a lot more that the bait-and-switch listed payment.
Do note that leases are like this for a reason: to take your money. And without your knowing it until it's too late.

T-Roy, your other option is to let the kid learn a valuable lesson on the value of valuable things.

That judginess being said, I suggest hiring MM as a consultant. He's pretty close by and by all that he's posted, he's pretty good at this game.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
A $250/mo lease (I think Chevy Malibu or VW Golf)
Yuck, and girly, respectively.

Your expected mileage is also important. It affects your trade-in value, which is where they'll try to get you.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:32 AM
SOA

So it looks like I will buy a car. The $199 a month F-150 needed an $8800 down payment (TTL, first mo, tax).

I will be checking out the local GM dealer. My goal now will be get 20% off MSRP of whatever I "pick up".

Last edited by T-roy; 06-12-2018 at 11:35 AM..