Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell
Default TIA IFM is now available!

We are excited to announce that we have released our IFM Online Seminar. Our MFE Instructor, Michael Yates, Ph.D., is currently working hard to make sure this course has everything you need to pass!

The course already has lessons and problems covering Buying & Selling Assets, Call & Put Options, Binomial Trees, Black-Scholes Formula, Market-Making, Exotic Options, and Lognormality. Click here to find out more about what is already in the new online seminar and see the construction schedule.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM
SOA

Does TIA offer a Excel-based schedule to assist in pacing for the course?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngxxx081 View Post
Does TIA offer a Excel-based schedule to assist in pacing for the course?
The schedule is built into the website. You key in your start date and exam date, and it makes a schedule for you.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
The schedule is built into the website. You key in your start date and exam date, and it makes a schedule for you.
Thanks - is this only available if you have a subscription?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

Yes, that is correct. We will probably also create an excel based schedule once we get some breathing space making the new lessons.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 AM
CAS

I hope big changes are made to this course. I got TIA for C and found it to be immensely helpful, but unfortunately I cannot say the same thing about the IFM package. The practice exams did not adequately reflect the true exams. Furthermore, most of the later lessons are boring; basically, the instructor reads the study notes to you. I'm not a CA shill, but I wish I had gotten the CA bundle.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM
SOA

I also used TIA for my IFM prep. I wasn't really impressed - I feel they need to update the the format and delivery. Aside from the instructor basically just running through the slides what seemed a bit tacky was it appeared all they did was take apart the MFE decks, carried over whatever was continuing on the new syllabus and stitched it up with the newer material being added (you can tell because some of the slides still had "MFE" in their name). I also found it frustrating when some of the end-of-lesson problems didn't have an accompanying video solution, or it did, but didn't have hand-written ones. Some said something like 'written (or video) solutions forthcoming', but I have a feeling it's been like that for a little while.

I heard the instructors/manager for this content might have had some personal engagements going on so couldn't fully commit to updating, but I don't wish to make a fuss about that. Whether or not this was the first administration of IFM, the syllabus for this exam had been available since January, and based on the updates page only minor ones were made. Honestly, I think TIA could invest in the look of the entire website. I'm returning to exams after a few years, but hopping on TIA's website, it looked virtually the same as it did when I first used them earlier this decade.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to pass these thoughts along to Dr. Yates.

Regarding the website:
- our last major overhaul was in late 2013
- we have been working hard on a new version of the site and hope to roll it out this year
- since 2013 we haven't changed the look of the site but we have added many features
- we have also introduced a couple of mobile applications (flashcards and learn app that allows you to save videos for offline playback)
- we have other mobile apps in the works too

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any more questions, concerns, and suggestions. I love hearing from our customers.

James

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:53 PM
CAS

Canada

Any silly website tweaks cannot mask the fact that the IFM seminar is hot garbage.

TIA should just give up on competing with CA for the lower level prelims. How in the milky way TIA reproduce the superior instruction and presentation?

I feel very bad after buying this product especially since I could have bought the CA bundle for a similar price. I almost want to cry because I dropped $300 on that stinking turd. For those who paid the full price, my heart goes out to you.

My summary of TIA for IFM:
1. NO GOOD PRACTICE PROBLEMS.
2. BORING AS **** VIDEOS
3. INSTRUCTOR HAS ANNOYING VOICE

They were great for C though. Learned lots and passed with a 10.