Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 AM
SOA

Default Things that bother you more than they should

I'm pretty sure there is already an old thread on this topic, but I think it's been a while.

Here's my contribution:

I have a nice white towel in my kitchen, used specifically for drying. They don't make them anymore, and I haven't found one I like nearly as much. So I'm protective of it. And since I only use it for drying, that means I'm only using it on stuff I've already cleaned. So it's easy to launder, because it generally doesn't get stains in it.

However, I have to remember to hide the thing any time we have guests, because inevitably, some idiot will use it to clean up the worst, most staining spill possible. I never catch them at it, so I haven't figured out who it is.

I'd been doing a better job of hiding it, but forgot when we hosted a family party yesterday. Sure enough, it has black and red spots all over it. I'm trying to figure out how they managed to even find something black to clean.

I mean, we have paper towels VERY near the same place where I keep this towel. Why in the world wouldn't they use those for something sure to stain?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
. . . .
I mean, we have paper towels VERY near the same place where I keep this towel. Why in the world wouldn't they use those for something sure to stain?
Because they think it's more "Green" to clean up with a re-useable towel than a disposable one, and can't conceive that you might actually go to the trouble to bleach a towel.

Just a guess.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

On Memorial day, people who post pictures of their dad or uncle or brother, that served but returned home.

and "Happy Memorial Day" - come one
Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM
SOA AAA

I hear ya on the towel... I have two towels hanging from the bar on the oven door, one specifically for drying clean items and one for everything else (e.g. drying clean hands). It drives me crazy to see people (sometimes my spouse, whom I know I've mentioned this "rule" to) using the "clean items" towel to dry their hands.

Also: when guests put dirty dishes in my sink, bonus angry points if there is water in any of those dishes (e.g. dumping a bunch of silverware in a glass and then either filling it or letting running water accumulate in the glass). The dishwasher is right next to the sink, and the sink is always empty and clean, hint hint. It's more of a nasty mess to handle dishes/utensils placed in the sink that way than to just put them directly in the dishwasher. Ugh.

Finally: when the neighbors park their car on the street in front of my house. Bonus angry points if they don't use the space in front of their own house. I know it's a public street, but we all have two-car garages, a driveway, and space for one car in front of our houses. Stay in your own space.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Because kitchen towels are there to be used. Why would I use a paper towel when you have a nice kitchen towel handy-by?

When I'm handling raw meat, I do use a paper towel for the "cleaning my hands enough to grip the knife properly, but probably not sanitizing them" drying. and i mostly use sponges, not towels to clean up spills. But I have a stack of kitchen towels. If one needs to be laundered, into the shoot it goes, and I'll pull out another. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were trying to keep this one pristine.

Have you mentioned that to your relatives? Because I'd be respectful of your towel if you asked me to, but if you didn't ask, it would NEVER occur to me that you'd care.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 PM
CAS

The CAS exam 5 disaster.

This barely affects me. I have my FCAS, no one is forcing me to proctor, and my employer is giving me the time to do so. I have no influence over how it happened or what they will do next. But it has driven me nuts, and I've wasted WAY more emotional energy than is healthy gretting over this.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Finding meaning in life. It will have all been for nothing when the universe dies its inevitable heat death. So why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Mill St. Tankhouse Ale

When in a traffic jam some idiot pulls into the on ramp lane and jumps the queue....actually, any type of queue-jumping irritates me more than it should.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM (Investments)
College: University of Waterloo Alumni
Favorite beer: Delirium Tremens

It has been observed in that past, that I have a strong aversion to discussions on gun control laws in America.

That, and country music, cowboy hats, or boots... OH, and people that stop in entryways to have conversations and then don't move immediately when someone needs to get through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
You wouldn’t be Tiffany if there wasn’t at least some risk at any given point in time that you’re going to go batshit and threaten to burn our houses down. Why stop posting now?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Because they think it's more "Green" to clean up with a re-useable towel than a disposable one, and can't conceive that you might actually go to the trouble to bleach a towel.

Just a guess.
Oo, I'll bet you're right. My wife thinks her sister may be the culprit, and she is more concerned with doing the green thing than most. But, yeah, she's not considering the fact that I would bleach the towel to keep it white.