Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential
Default Marathon for Actuaries

Hi guys,

I wanted to create a thread dedicated for those that are experienced or newbies that want to get into running a marathon.

One of my life goals is to run a solid 26.2 mile marathon. I have never ran in one but started training so I could do it next year.

My plan is to start on a treadmill running 2 to 4 miles with no rest than gradually raise the limit.

After I get a little comfortable with that, I plan on doing it outdoor where the ground level is uneven and carrying the body weight forward makes running harder.

Eventually later this year, I plan on doing a 5k then work my way up to the ultimate 26.2 mile marathon.

Running has never been my thing (weight lifting is), but I thought I needed to give myself a challenging goal to satisfy my goal-driven mindset.

Hoping to see some marathon enthusiasts here.

Last edited by ronaldy27; 06-15-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Hi guys,

I wanted to create a thread dedicated for those that are experienced or newbies that want to get into running a marathon.

One of my life goals is to run a solid 26.2 mile marathon. I have never ran in one but started training so I could do it next year.

My plan is to start on a treadmill running 2 to 4 miles with no rest than gradually raise the limit.

After I get a little comfortable with that, I plan on doing it outdoor where the ground level is uneven and carrying the body weight forward makes running harder.

Eventually later this year, I plan on doing a 5k marathon then work my way up to the ultimate 26.2 mile marathon.

Running has never been my thing (weight lifting is), but I thought I needed to give myself a challenging goal to satisfy my goal-driven mindset.

Hoping to see some marathon enthusiasts here.
A marathon is 26.2 miles. You don't refer to other distances as a marathon. A 5k is just a 5k.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 AM
CAS

Studying for Vegas 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
5k marathon

ACAS: 5, 6, OC1, OC2, PC

FCAS: 7, 8, 9
Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
A marathon is 26.2 miles. You don't refer to other distances as a marathon. A 5k is just a 5k.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man

Tell you what, I'll do the Mary with you. Train hard, good luck, see you next year!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

I have the 26.2 app (by the guys from C25k) that I actually started this week. I'm training for a half in Nov.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
I have the 26.2 app (by the guys from C25k) that I actually started this week. I'm training for a half in Nov.
Did you like that? I like the schedules for the couch to 10k but looked at the 1/2 marathon and wasn't as impressed. Although it has been a while and I can't remember why.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM
CAS

So far I'm okay with it. IDK how to feel about the weeks leading up to race day since it still has you doing a lot of walk/run intervals. I'm going to switch it up to a different plan around 12 weeks out to this one:

For the cross training (which I did yesterday and Tuesday) I did 40 min on a stationary bike on the lowest resistance setting for the first day and one notch up yesterday.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Good stuff. I'm also thinking about getting one of those fitness smart watches (fitbit?) to keep track of my mileage among other indicators.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 AM
CAS

I'm using a Garmin watch. It's meh. I wish I went with fitbit because fitbit has a better app and it's where all my friends use. Nobody else really uses Garmin