Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-22-2019, 01:35 PM
SOA

Studying for DP

I'd recommend not buying regression modeling. R for Everyone isn't bad pricewise and was reasonably useful, I'd try just focusing on that
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 PM
SOA

Studying for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimZ View Post
Can we get recommended PA texts for free?

I am talking about

1. Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications, Edward W. Frees, 2010

2. R for Everyone, 2nd ed. Lander, 2017, Boston: Addison-Wesley

Are these available for download somewhere, or will they have to be purchased? Kind of hard to find money for additional resources after paying a huge amount for this exam.

1- Completely useless

2- Extremely helpful if you have never been exposed to R before. Fairly useless if you already have an idea of how to code in R.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for life

Has anyone compared the June 2019 syllabus against the Dec 2018 syllabus? Any changes?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:05 PM
SOA

College: Graduate
Does anyone have "R for Everyone, 2nd ed. Lander, 2017, Boston: Addison-Wesley"?

Exams: P, FM, MFE, LTAM, STAM SRM Credit PA

VEEs

FAP: Module 1, Module 2

IA FA

APC

Last edited by essaniraiq; 03-07-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 03-08-2019, 01:20 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by essaniraiq View Post
Does anyone have "R for Everyone, 2nd ed. Lander, 2017, Boston: Addison-Wesley"?
......yes...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by essaniraiq View Post
Do you have it in hard or soft?

Is there any possibility for you to provide me the same?
that's blatantly illegal
Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 PM
SOA

College: Ohio Wesleyan University

Hi guys, newbie here. I just signed up for the modules and started. I dont use R but have some knowledge in SQL, stata, minitab, I hope R is similar in someway. I am thinking of buying R course from TIA to learn R (study for it for a month) then work on modules for the last 2 months. Is it a good approach? Should I buy any textbook? . I really appreciate any inputs from your guys. (Also, my company reimburse me so I dont have to worry much about study material cost)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimZ View Post
Can we get recommended PA texts for free?

I am talking about

1. Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications, Edward W. Frees, 2010

2. R for Everyone, 2nd ed. Lander, 2017, Boston: Addison-Wesley

Are these available for download somewhere, or will they have to be purchased? Kind of hard to find money for additional resources after paying a huge amount for this exam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
1- Completely useless
Do you mean the book itself is not useful, or it's unnecessary to learn about regression modeling in detail for this exam? I didn't take SRM exam (got VEE credit), and find the material in module 6 (GLM) challenging because there is so little explanation.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:31 PM
SOA

Studying for a living
Favorite beer: Hofbrau Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
Do you mean the book itself is not useful, or it's unnecessary to learn about regression modeling in detail for this exam? I didn't take SRM exam (got VEE credit), and find the material in module 6 (GLM) challenging because there is so little explanation.
I, for one, did not open the book in question (Regression Modeling with Act/Fin Applications) once in preparing for the exam, and passed with a 7.

I have since looked through it a little, and while there's some interesting stuff in there, you're probably better off focusing on the other materials/just practicing and interpreting things in R once you have a general feel for the processes. I'd recommend getting through modules 6-9 first (6-8 are pretty long), going through the examples/code they provide as a starting point.

On a different note, a sample solution to the December exam has been posted. Reading through that - and the comments provided by the graders - would probably be a good idea ASAP. If I would have had an example of the "end game" in mind when I started studying, I would have budgeted my time much differently.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
I, for one, did not open the book in question (Regression Modeling with Act/Fin Applications) once in preparing for the exam, and passed with a 7.

I have since looked through it a little, and while there's some interesting stuff in there, you're probably better off focusing on the other materials/just practicing and interpreting things in R once you have a general feel for the processes. I'd recommend getting through modules 6-9 first (6-8 are pretty long), going through the examples/code they provide as a starting point.

On a different note, a sample solution to the December exam has been posted. Reading through that - and the comments provided by the graders - would probably be a good idea ASAP. If I would have had an example of the "end game" in mind when I started studying, I would have budgeted my time much differently.
Thanks, that's definitely a good advice.