Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

SOA offered generous commentary within both its sample response and solution code files.

The limitations candidates face under a timed and resource-strapped format--not to mention the potatoes Prometric offer in lieu of 21st Century hardware--are consistently acknowledged. Yet, if the commentary is taken at a face value, SOA was surprisingly more demanding than it let on in the modules. Additionally, there were apparently quite a few specific requirements/tasks on graders' checklists--some of which not particularly self-evident.

The two sample project solutions/responses certainly did not delve into the breadth or depth of detail that the commentary suggested was necessary. I mean, nothing was outrageous by any means, but how much can you accomplish/complete in 5 hours on a glorified Game Boy Color?

I'm reminded, however, of a truly world'class history teacher I had in high school, who would plaster my paper in red and write in every margin--even on an A paper. Perhaps the commentary is a similar case of thoroughness. Or perhaps candidates only needed to hit on a smaller-than-expected proportion of "requirements."

I didn't take the test, but I should be more ready thanks to these comments.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 AM
SOA

The December exam solution is up. I am glad the SOA included this so that we can know what they are specifically looking for and not looking for in the next sitting. I focused way too much on the coding last sitting. Mistake.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:05 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam LTAM

I am planning to sign up for the modules and exam. Does anyone know what material will be useful for preparing for this exam (other than textbooks). Does anyone know if the TIA seminar R for actuaries is helpful?

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:09 PM
SOA

Studying for DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
SOA offered generous commentary within both its sample response and solution code files.

The limitations candidates face under a timed and resource-strapped format--not to mention the potatoes Prometric offer in lieu of 21st Century hardware--are consistently acknowledged. Yet, if the commentary is taken at a face value, SOA was surprisingly more demanding than it let on in the modules. Additionally, there were apparently quite a few specific requirements/tasks on graders' checklists--some of which not particularly self-evident.

The two sample project solutions/responses certainly did not delve into the breadth or depth of detail that the commentary suggested was necessary. I mean, nothing was outrageous by any means, but how much can you accomplish/complete in 5 hours on a glorified Game Boy Color?

I'm reminded, however, of a truly world'class history teacher I had in high school, who would plaster my paper in red and write in every margin--even on an A paper. Perhaps the commentary is a similar case of thoroughness. Or perhaps candidates only needed to hit on a smaller-than-expected proportion of "requirements."

I didn't take the test, but I should be more ready thanks to these comments.
i belief in u
Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 AM
SOA

Hello count me on board as well!!
Does anyone know in case you don't pass the exam if there is a lower price for a second attemp?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM
SOA

Studying for DP

nope, 1125 a pop
Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 AM
SOA

can anyone get the glimpse() function to work in the PA3.3.Rmd file?

not sure if this is related, but my checkpoint project from the modules also keeps telling me that it doesn't have a package called "stringi"

Last edited by RiskyBusiness7; 03-20-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-20-2019, 01:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
nope, 1125 a pop
ouch..
pop??
Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness7 View Post
can anyone get the glimpse() function to work in the PA3.3.Rmd file?

not sure if this is related, but my checkpoint project from the modules also keeps telling me that it doesn't have a package called "stringi"
Getting the same error message.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 AM
SOA

College: kfupm

I have zero knowledge in R and minimal experience in coding. Plus i have knowledge in linear regression only (zero in GLM and the other methods)

Given that.. should i take the exam in June or is it better in Dec to have more time?
Thanks