Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 04-08-2019, 01:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmichaelknox View Post
I'm considering the plausibility of passing PA with only 6 weeks of study. I'm not sure what the suggested study hours are (usually given per hour of exam time for other exams) but suspect it's less than other exams. I work in R every day and have an MS in Statistics so I also suspect I'll have less new ground to cover than the average test-taker here, but have no idea how MUCH less.

Is anyone attempting in such a short amount of time? The upside is pretty high for going for it despite low odds, but I may make the purchase and realize there's no way. Appreciate all input
If you purchase the module now, it doesn't mean you have to take the exam this June. You can choose between the June and Dec sitting.
And I think with your background, you can make it in 6 weeks
Old 04-08-2019, 02:13 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmichaelknox View Post
I'm considering the plausibility of passing PA with only 6 weeks of study. I'm not sure what the suggested study hours are (usually given per hour of exam time for other exams) but suspect it's less than other exams. I work in R every day and have an MS in Statistics so I also suspect I'll have less new ground to cover than the average test-taker here, but have no idea how MUCH less.

Is anyone attempting in such a short amount of time? The upside is pretty high for going for it despite low odds, but I may make the purchase and realize there's no way. Appreciate all input
Similarly, I have an MS in Applied Stat. Two grad classes routinely worked in R, but I had/have a decent amount of programming experience. An elective course in sampling methods has been slightly helpful toward the end of the modules.

The stat coverage is not difficult. Instead of writing R code, you largely just need to understand and be able to modify or add to it. I confidently enjoy writing. These tasks are not difficult individually. However, interactively applying my stat, programming and writing brains on one large projects is somewhat daunting; I've never been required to do math, program and write concurrently in an exam setting. Furthermore, Prometric has bad slow computers and the user experience is a mortal lock to be unfriendly. Having been administered only once previously, we are also vulnerable to a range of the unexpected from SOA.

You are clearly an R pro, so you might be able to shut off your programming brain. 9 total modules. IIRC, Modules 1 and 3 are exclusively introductory R. Modules 2 and 9 discuss how SOA wants you to structure your writing.
Modules 4 and 5. Basic stat is covered in Modules 3 and 5--you already know it if you have an MS. I forget Module 8--on principle components and stuff. The heart and soul--like 98% of your study time--are Modules 6 and 7. With all my stat experience, I was introduced to several new topics in these modules. They aren't terrible at all--some are very interesting. There may be some memorization required here, though.

You may be on Module 6 after an hour or two. 6 is very long. 7 is somewhat long.

There are two practice projects and one prior exam, all with sample solutions. The second practice project, Student Data, is not touched upon in the Modules and doesn't follow the Module 9 heavily recommended writing outline in the least. The first sample project, Term Life, is covered in depth throughout the entire module set, but either skips several outline items or presents them in bizarre order. The actual November exam has VERY helpful commentary in the RMD and sample solution. The actual exam followed the outline closest.

Studying would be easier if I used multiple monitors, tbh.

Good luck!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Hi guys!

We have created a study manual focused on the R coding needed for SOA exam PA.

We created a comprehensive document/sample project that shows one method for coding each testable topic on the exam and we did not include anything that we feel would not be necessary to know. The structure of our manual was a result of feedback we received from students who sat for the first sitting. The main comments being that the modules have a bunch of coding that wasnít necessary for the exam, and that students found it tedious to search through all the different modules/sample projects to find a specific topic when studying. We feel that the structure of our study manual solves these problems.

The study manual is in pdf format and can be purchased (49.99 CAD) here:
https://davosanalytics.com/r-study-g...r-soa-exam-pa/

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:38 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec R - Davos Analytics View Post
Hi guys!

We have created a study manual focused on the R coding needed for SOA exam PA.

We created a comprehensive document/sample project that shows one method for coding each testable topic on the exam and we did not include anything that we feel would not be necessary to know. The structure of our manual was a result of feedback we received from students who sat for the first sitting. The main comments being that the modules have a bunch of coding that wasnít necessary for the exam, and that students found it tedious to search through all the different modules/sample projects to find a specific topic when studying. We feel that the structure of our study manual solves these problems.

The study manual is in pdf format and can be purchased (49.99 CAD) here:

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Great idea! I would likely purchase if you offered an encouraging preview.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 04-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Great idea! I would likely purchase if you offered an encouraging preview.
Thanks for the feedback. We've added a free sample of our manual to our website, enjoy!

Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM
SOA

Just registered for the exam on 13 Jun. Anyone with me?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
Just registered for the exam on 13 Jun. Anyone with me?
Did the SOA already send out information so we can register with Prometric? I have not received anything since I first purchased the PA modules earlier this year.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHorse15 View Post
Did the SOA already send out information so we can register with Prometric? I have not received anything since I first purchased the PA modules earlier this year.
Instructions for registration I believe are at the end of the modules. You may be able to jump into module 9 and click through it to find registration info.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Instructions for registration I believe are at the end of the modules. You may be able to jump into module 9 and click through it to find registration info.
Thanks DjPim!
For anyone else looking to register, the link is on slide 22 or you can go here:
https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...analytics.aspx
Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
Favorite beer: All of the Above

I'm debating doing this in June. I studied GLMs at University, did pretty well on top of finding it interesting, so I'm not overly concerned about the technical side of it. Anybody think this is too short of a time frame to get through the modules and absorb the material?