Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrunner View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone here view 2 internships as a negative? As in, why does this candidate have 2 internships and still looking for a job (no return offer?).
I'm inclined to agree.
If this person was such an amazing employee and generated so much value to his previous employers, why didn't they try to keep him?

No company turns down an employee that provides any amount of positive net value to its bottom line.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
What about internships that don't have the resources to hire interns full-time (nothing to do with job performance)? That would be unfair to count the second internship against them, right?
If you're creating positive net value to your employer, they will always have the resources to keep you on board.

I got my current position through my internship, where I saved my employer millions.
My employer typically doesn't hire any intern for FT, since interns are only viewed as cheap slave labor, but they made an exception for me.

The truth is, most employees are net losses for the employer. The only reason why they're still in the company is because bosses have a hard time determining who is providing value and who isn't.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Students without internships are usually only considered if there aren't enough applicants who already have internships.
Agree, but obviously some applicants have internships and then you interview them and realize they're awful. It's not like everybody that interned is ahead of everybody that didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
And 15 years ago, they said you shouldn't take more than 1 in college.
25 years ago, they said you should get a job first before passing your first exam.
Lest anybody go too overboard on how much harder it is these days, this isn't true. Directionally correct, though - the standard has gone up a fair amount. I did once see a very old job posting (early 90s) from a company that was trying to find somebody that had passed an exam, or at least scored a 4 or a 5 on an attempt.

Quote:
As in, why does this candidate have 2 internships and still looking for a job (no return offer?).
They're still looking doesn't mean that they didn't get a return offer. Some don't decide to return because the internship isn't what they want to do, where they want to be (geography), or whatever reason.

Quote:
I got my current position through my internship, where I saved my employer millions.
lolz
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 PM
CAS SOA

also just to add -- there's a current wave of EL grads that have gotten to 3 exams very quickly with the VEE stats --> SRM exam conversion that SOA has allowed. not sure if hiring managers will start to distinguish p/fm/mfe from p/fm/srm.... of course mfe has the advantage of being accepted with the CAS.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
also just to add -- there's a current wave of EL grads that have gotten to 3 exams very quickly with the VEE stats --> SRM exam conversion that SOA has allowed. not sure if hiring managers will start to distinguish p/fm/mfe from p/fm/srm.... of course mfe has the advantage of being accepted with the CAS.
We just hired someone who passed P, FM, MFE, MLC, and C for an internship.

No amount of exams is too few or too many. Pass as many as you can.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 PM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post

Lest anybody go too overboard on how much harder it is these days, this isn't true. Directionally correct, though - the standard has gone up a fair amount. I did once see a very old job posting (early 90s) from a company that was trying to find somebody that had passed an exam, or at least scored a 4 or a 5 on an attempt.

lolz
What is your basis for saying it's not all that competitive?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
I think Westley just posts anything that contradicts what I'm saying for the sake of contradicting me.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about this advice given a few things: your username is literally "liar"
Well, that means we have at least two awful usernames in this thread.

Quote:
]I've only ever heard that you shouldn't take more than three in college or you'll be overqualified
It still blows my mind that there are people who make this statement, like they need some justification as to why they aren't passing as many exams as they can that isn't "I just can't pass that many exams in that amount of time".

Imagine the interview session:

Interviewer: "So I see here that you have passed three exams but it seems like you had time to do four/five. Why did you stop at three?"
Candidate: "I heard that I'd be overqualified if I passed more than three."

You can extend this to any job and it is an equally ridiculous statement. Perhaps there are some companies that will see you as a flight risk because of your exams/skills/whatever, but to explicitly stop moving forward as a person for fear that you'll become overqualified for a specific job is a weird thing to focus on.

And plus, given the structure of compensation in the actuarial field, from the company's perspective it is probably less about a candidate being overqualified and more about the entitlements that tag along when a candidate has more exams. (The SOA/CAS said I should make more money so give it to me!!!!)

-Riley
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
What is your basis for claiming I said that?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I think Westley just posts anything that contradicts what I'm saying for the sake of contradicting me.
Only the colossally dumb stuff. I think overall, it's about 50/50 favorable/un. Even the post in question basically said your post is hyperbolic but true ("directionally correct")