Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 PM
CAS SOA

College: University of Illinois, undergrad
Default Incomplete loss data to estimate credibility

I am learning about ratemaking and recently someone asked me how do you estimate credibility on incomplete loss data? I havenít done this analysis but I would like to learn. I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusjunkie View Post
I am learning about ratemaking and recently someone asked me how do you estimate credibility on incomplete loss data? I haven’t done this analysis but I would like to learn. I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you!
What do you mean by "incomplete loss data," Junkie?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:22 PM
CAS SOA

For example, the product department is sure that the losses should sum up to $5,000 in one specific city, but after extracting the data from the database it shows that the losses are only $3,000. How does that affect my analysis and what should I do to gather the data accurately. Does that make sense?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusjunkie View Post
For example, the product department is sure that the losses should sum up to $5,000 in one specific city, but after extracting the data from the database it shows that the losses are only $3,000. How does that affect my analysis and what should I do to gather the data accurately. Does that make sense?
Not really.

Why is the product department sure the losses should be $5000?

Is the $3000 total questionable?

Did you extract the data from the database yourself, or did you get it from someone? If you did it, do you know what you're doing? If someone else, do they know what they're doing?

Have you performed any checks on the data to make sure of its accuracy and reasonability?

I have some more questions but I'll stop there for now.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Yeah, incomplete data can mean a lot of things, like censoring/truncation or undeveloped losses or IBNR.

Sounds like in your case, the data are there but you aren't extracting all of it. This is more of a data reconciliation problem rather than one that would require credibility weighting. In that case, work with product to fix the problem and bring it up with your manager if you lack the resources/influence to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 AM
CAS SOA

I was asked this by the product department. As far as I know the person that extracted the data was confident on what he was doing. I asked them to check with claims as they could give them more accurate information on the losses. I am now wondering if they are looking at paid or reported losses and they are not classifying them accordingly. I also think that the problem is in data reconciliation.
Thank you for your comments, this has been helpful.