Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Sleeman Cream Ale
Default Interstate differences in trucking liability exposures

Hi all,

I'm working on a pricing analysis for trucks that are based in Canada and travel to the US. Trying to get some kind of a measure of the relative liability exposure (frequency + severity) in each state. I've been doing some reading and it seems like various states have different degrees of no-fault systems, plus I've heard anecdotally that some states tend to be more plaintiff-favorable than others. My internal claims data is nowhere near credible. My ultimate goal is to derive a differential for, say, an Ontario-based vehicle driven 10,000 miles in New York State vs an Ontario-based vehicle driven 10,000 miles in Michigan. Can any of my American friends point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Notes Contributor
CAS

Insurance Services Office: pay up!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Insurance Services Office: pay up!!!
Thanks - we've worked with ISO/Verisk for property but not for auto. Which specific report/exhibit would have what I'm looking for?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM

ISO is probably your best bet
Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

In addition to ISO (to get the data requested), I would also suggest getting some information from NAIC (at naic.org) to get some insights on liability laws in different states.

Without that additional (qualitative) information, you might find it difficult to interpret "differences in states' experiences). To illustrate, Michigan has unlimited benefits for their PIP ("no-fault") coverage.

And not every state has PIP coverage; and in the US, the liability laws of the state govern how an accident is adjusted. For example, Illinois does not have PIP coverage, but an IL driver getting into an accident in MI will have PIP coverage. I'm pretty sure that this aspect of accident coverage will also apply to international drivers.

The upside of the NAIC info is that it is generally free or fairly low cost to get the information.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-22-2017, 11:30 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
In addition to ISO (to get the data requested), I would also suggest getting some information from NAIC (at naic.org) to get some insights on liability laws in different states.

Without that additional (qualitative) information, you might find it difficult to interpret "differences in states' experiences). To illustrate, Michigan has unlimited benefits for their PIP ("no-fault") coverage.

And not every state has PIP coverage; and in the US, the liability laws of the state govern how an accident is adjusted. For example, Illinois does not have PIP coverage, but an IL driver getting into an accident in MI will have PIP coverage. I'm pretty sure that this aspect of accident coverage will also apply to international drivers.

The upside of the NAIC info is that it is generally free or fairly low cost to get the information.
Thanks...yes, I have qualitative info on the differences from state to state, but it's not detailed enough for me (with no experience in US auto insurance) to translate into loss cost conclusions. Maybe I need to hire a consultant who's familiar with this stuff. Your insights on what coverage would be available for which drivers in which states are exactly what I'm trying to get at. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Thanks...yes, I have qualitative info on the differences from state to state, but it's not detailed enough for me (with no experience in US auto insurance) to translate into loss cost conclusions. Maybe I need to hire a consultant who's familiar with this stuff. Your insights on what coverage would be available for which drivers in which states are exactly what I'm trying to get at. Thanks for the response.
A consultant could be very helpful in also pointing out some of the nuances for similar coverages between states. For example, while NY, MI, and MN are all no-fault states, MN isn't overly problematic with fraudulent claims while both NY and MI have considerable fraud (and claim build-up) problems.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) publishes an annual detailed report of crash, injury, fatality statistics. It's a 200+ PDF that includes various By-State metrics. Chapter 5 from last year's report has the state metrics.

Much of the frequency measures are based on fatalities (per miles driven, per vehicle registrants, etc). However, you could normalize this to some extent for liability claims, or at least use it for by-state relativities.

It's free, in case you don't have access to ISO.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:29 PM
CAS

Might also want to check out some info from the American Trucking Association, not sure if they have what you're looking for, though.

http://www.trucking.org/News_and_Inf...n_Reports.aspx
Old 08-22-2017, 01:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
A consultant could be very helpful in also pointing out some of the nuances for similar coverages between states. For example, while NY, MI, and MN are all no-fault states, MN isn't overly problematic with fraudulent claims while both NY and MI have considerable fraud (and claim build-up) problems.
Thanks. Please PM me if you know any consultants who do this (or if you are one!)

I'd also be up for an information exchange if there are any US carriers out there with trucking exposures into Canada who have similar questions. PM me if interested.

Thanks all.