Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiletto View Post
I am taking this exam again, so I am speaking from experience. I do not think TIA PEs are up to par. I have spoken with David and there are a couple of explanations of why this could be true. The main reason is that the SOA has not released an exam since 2007, so TIA and other sources do not have much to pull from. I think the real exam is much more difficult - not in application of formulas, but in the manipulation is requires and the confusing twists and turns added to the topics. Rather than brute force problems for this exam, and focusing on EL, I would focus on understand the topics at their core. Be able to do everything from first principles, and understand how to manipulate formulas. I cannot speak from my own experience in this regard because I have not started it yet, but I have heard Mahler's manuals and PEs are more up to par with the types of questions asked on the exam. They are computationally a bit too complex for what is seen on the exam, but they will give you a better idea of the twists and turns that require navigation.

For reference, prior to my last sitting I had passed the first three TIA exams with scores >80% and I had an EL of 7.2.
Did you have any opinion on ASM exercises, TIA exercises, Mahler exercises, Mahler exams and ASM exams compared to your exam questions? I have all these resources, but want to only focus on what might be best at this point. I did 100% of ASM exercises and almost done with TIA exercises. If I rework problems, is it best to do quizzes from ADAPT or Mahler stuff or what?
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC
Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 AM
CAS

College: 1st year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
Did you have any opinion on ASM exercises, TIA exercises, Mahler exercises, Mahler exams and ASM exams compared to your exam questions? I have all these resources, but want to only focus on what might be best at this point. I did 100% of ASM exercises and almost done with TIA exercises. If I rework problems, is it best to do quizzes from ADAPT or Mahler stuff or what?
It's more like, the real exam tests multiple subjects in a single question, with unusual wording, in ways that TIA, ADAPT and ASM don't. Most practice questions you see are straightforward "Here's information. Solve for something", while the real exam is more "twisty."

They love giving you densities for you to derive the information you need from. They love adding atypical steps to throw you off (example, look at SOA 265, where the ratio thing might confuse someone who didn't read carefully) You also need to be really adept at manipulating equations because they like to withhold seemingly crucial information that you later realize you won't need because it cancels out.

Questions on the real exam are most similarly worded/structured as the SOA 307 though SOA307 is much easier than the real exam.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:48 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
It's more like, the real exam tests multiple subjects in a single question, with unusual wording, in ways that TIA, ADAPT and ASM don't. Most practice questions you see are straightforward "Here's information. Solve for something", while the real exam is more "twisty."

They love giving you densities for you to derive the information you need from. They love adding atypical steps to throw you off (example, look at SOA 265, where the ratio thing might confuse someone who didn't read carefully) You also need to be really adept at manipulating equations because they like to withhold seemingly crucial information that you later realize you won't need because it cancels out.

Questions on the real exam are most similarly worded/structured as the SOA 307 though SOA307 is much easier than the real exam.
Did you try Mahler's material? I heard it's better than TIA/ASM/Adapt because it's twisty, but too difficult. Just curious if you tried his stuff and had an opinion
Old 12-17-2017, 02:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Did you try Mahler's material? I heard it's better than TIA/ASM/Adapt because it's twisty, but too difficult. Just curious if you tried his stuff and had an opinion
Not yet.

I'm currently re-doing the SOA 307. Planning to grind ADAPT for a while before moving onto Mahler's in the last month before exam, but I keep procrastinating, haha.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:15 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
Not yet.

I'm currently re-doing the SOA 307. Planning to grind ADAPT for a while before moving onto Mahler's in the last month before exam, but I keep procrastinating, haha.
Hey I'm not trying to broadcast, but how many times did you take C? I'm getting worried after what you said, but IMO TIA is really good and I feel better doing a thorough re-working of all the Empirical/Parametric/Credibility/Simulation problems through the CBT system and reviewing Dave's lessons. He really stresses and shows first principles.

TIA problems may not be totally twisty wording, and many are also not simple info question answer types. They require understanding principles and using that. There are lots of challenging ones, so I'm feeling better with this stuff, but getting ready to start Mahler 20Qs short ones very soon.

Mahler will hopefully bump my understanding little by little and give me exposure on how to dissect and work from 1st principles. I'll hit the 9 full length right after and use ADAPT. There's not much else I can think of, except always solve things 1st principles and double check quickly via any shortcut. This way I'm ready to crank out and get used to lots of work. I'm definitely going to use Mahler exercises from the manual if I keep getting tripped up on a topic. I can't stop making mistakes on the Nelson-Aelon/Kaplan-Meier stuff and I heard it's tested heavily. What can you say about the frequency of one off type topics - odd formulas, or just unrelated misc. things
Old 12-18-2017, 09:54 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
Did you have any opinion on ASM exercises, TIA exercises, Mahler exercises, Mahler exams and ASM exams compared to your exam questions?
I am working through the SOA 307 and ASM right now. I plan to move to Mahler soon. I have heard they are above the level of difficulty in the exam in terms of math - but about the same difficulty in terms of twists and turns. I think if nothing else, it will prepare you to not be totally caught off guard during the exam.

TIA is good for drilling basic concepts, but not up to the difficulty of how the concepts are applied. ADAPT exams are pretty cookie cutter in terms of question mix - x credibility questions, y simulation questions, z MLE questions, etc. Whereas the real exam varies a lot. For reference, before my last sitting, I had a 7.2 EL on ADAPT.

I think your best bet is Mahler for question difficulty, SOA 307 for wording, TIA, ADAPT, or ASM for basic concepts.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:55 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
I can't stop making mistakes on the Nelson-Aelon/Kaplan-Meier stuff and I heard it's tested heavily. What can you say about the frequency of one off type topics - odd formulas, or just unrelated misc. things
These are very heavily tested in my experience. Also, be prepared for any misc. topics. They do show up and you can get a few of them. It could be the edge you need.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Hey I'm not trying to broadcast, but how many times did you take C? I'm getting worried after what you said, but IMO TIA is really good and I feel better doing a thorough re-working of all the Empirical/Parametric/Credibility/Simulation problems through the CBT system and reviewing Dave's lessons. He really stresses and shows first principles.

TIA problems may not be totally twisty wording, and many are also not simple info question answer types. They require understanding principles and using that. There are lots of challenging ones, so I'm feeling better with this stuff, but getting ready to start Mahler 20Qs short ones very soon.

Mahler will hopefully bump my understanding little by little and give me exposure on how to dissect and work from 1st principles. I'll hit the 9 full length right after and use ADAPT. There's not much else I can think of, except always solve things 1st principles and double check quickly via any shortcut. This way I'm ready to crank out and get used to lots of work. I'm definitely going to use Mahler exercises from the manual if I keep getting tripped up on a topic. I can't stop making mistakes on the Nelson-Aelon/Kaplan-Meier stuff and I heard it's tested heavily. What can you say about the frequency of one off type topics - odd formulas, or just unrelated misc. things
I only took it once. I was also admittedly not prepared for the amount of first principle questions I got and was surprised by the amount of questions I got on esoteric topics.

TIA, ADAPT, ASM and SOA 307 will prepare you for about 50% of the exam. Maybe 60% if you really master TIA & SOA 307. The other 50-40%, I have no idea just yet. Hopefully, Mahler and constant exposure will do the trick. Kinda need to get at the level where the major topics kind of "meld" together and make sense in the grand scheme of things so you can apply various aspects of it to all the twists and turns.

I just took my first ADAPT exam for this sitting... instantly got EL 6.3, which was a little anti-climatic.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
SOA

what do you mean it only prepares you for 50%? you mean content wise? or that only 50% of the problems are similar?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:49 PM
SOA

Why do people recommend Mahler over everything else, is harder actually better for this exam?