Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM
SOA

Finally passed EOM7. One less thing to worry about...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTL View Post
I was chilling for about 7 weeks, not studying, enjoying life during the summer.

Took me 96 hours to write, why does it take them 2 months to read?
Cause they ain't gettin' paid to do it. All graders are volunteer credentialed actuaries with jobs. I agree it's a pain in the ass though.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:07 PM
SOA

Studying for L33T H4X0RN3SS
College: UMBC Graduate
Favorite beer: roof beers

At this point I've probably spent more time trolling this thread on the AO waiting for results than actually doing the Modules or the final assessment.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick View Post
At this point I've probably spent more time trolling this thread on the AO waiting for results than actually doing the Modules or the final assessment.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Finally passed EOM7. One less thing to worry about...
And did you get EOM6 MMR'd?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuario View Post
And did you get EOM6 MMR'd?
Yep. Just need the FA now.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 PM
SOA

College: UNC Chapel Hill Alum

Just received my detailed feedback on Day 64.
Currently on day 40 of waiting for results from attempt 3.

Useful things about the feedback-
I feel like what I'm seeing confirms my decision that there's no point in giving any non-vanilla recommendations. Anything non-standard needs extra justification, and the person reading your paper probably doesn't want to read it in the first place and would much rather check the box after they find your vanilla recommendation and move on. Similar to this, I would recommend joining a Google group and making sure to offer recommendations in the final task that are of the same nature as the rest of the group. The fewer new concepts for the grader to consider the better.

A pretty strong anti-pie chart bias. The number of pie charts I included was actually zero, so was surprised that this bias still was so clear.

There were comments both about formatting for some sections and about content for some sections. I still have hope that attempt 3 will pass and I won't need to make any more adjustments, but if there is an attempt 4, I'll have a much better sense of which sections need lipstick and which sections need organ replacement. The comments on the flagged questions had little to no formatting suggestions, strengthening my new pro-vanilla stance.

I presented made up data for one of my questions in a chart because the prompt says to include charts. I was told this was pointless, but no alternative was suggested. However, pointless doesn't mean I was penalized for it, and I worry that if I didn't use it I would have been told I needed a chart. Maybe worth noting that this was not one of the two flagged questions. I'm riding with the belief that I got the chart points for this, and zero analysis points, which I'm fine with. Or can anyone confirm that they got an MMR despite having tasks with no charts?

Less useful/borderline upsetting -
I think there is an important distinction between
A:"usable, identifiable"
and
B:"potentially usable, likely unidentifiable."
There was a section of the feedback that was painful for me to read: it came off condescending, maybe more so than intended, but A and B were treated as interchangeable, and let's not forget that this feedback isn't free.

An opinion that as long as marginal revenue is the same, you don't need to worry about the where your customer base is coming from or to worry about the total level of sales. Overhead costs matter; this is a pretty basic concept. Reading a section of the feedback that breaks down completely when overhead costs are considered was pretty painful.

Ranting over Okay, hopefully I restrained my rage decently there, I tried at least. The first part I was sharing because I'm hoping that I could keep it vague enough to be SOA-appropriate but still helpful. The second part I was sharing because I needed to vent. Thank you for being here in my time of

Last edited by 12DollarBubble; 08-09-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 PM
SOA

Studying for L33T H4X0RN3SS
College: UMBC Graduate
Favorite beer: roof beers

Preach it brother!

Dude, there is no point in trying to makes sense from madness.

I'm going to include a pie chart of bars and a bar chart about pies if I fail again. It will cost me $500 but it will so be worth it.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: finished university
Favorite beer: I drink vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DollarBubble View Post
Just received my detailed feedback on Day 64.
Currently on day 40 of waiting for results from attempt 3.

Useful things about the feedback-
I feel like what I'm seeing confirms my decision that there's no point in giving any non-vanilla recommendations. Anything non-standard needs extra justification, and the person reading your paper probably doesn't want to read it in the first place and would much rather check the box after they find your vanilla recommendation and move on. Similar to this, I would recommend joining a Google group and making sure to offer recommendations in the final task that are of the same nature as the rest of the group. The fewer new concepts for the grader to consider the better.

A pretty strong anti-pie chart bias. The number of pie charts I included was actually zero, so was surprised that this bias still was so clear.

There were comments both about formatting for some sections and about content for some sections. I still have hope that attempt 3 will pass and I won't need to make any more adjustments, but if there is an attempt 4, I'll have a much better sense of which sections need lipstick and which sections need organ replacement. The comments on the flagged questions had little to no formatting suggestions, strengthening my new pro-vanilla stance.

I presented made up data for one of my questions in a chart because the prompt says to include charts. I was told this was pointless, but no alternative was suggested. However, pointless doesn't mean I was penalized for it, and I worry that if I didn't use it I would have been told I needed a chart. Maybe worth noting that this was not one of the two flagged questions. I'm riding with the belief that I got the chart points for this, and zero analysis points, which I'm fine with. Or can anyone confirm that they got an MMR despite having tasks with no charts?

Less useful/borderline upsetting -
I think there is an important distinction between
A:"usable, identifiable"
and
B:"potentially usable, likely unidentifiable."
There was a section of the feedback that was painful for me to read: it came off condescending, maybe more so than intended, but A and B were treated as interchangeable, and let's not forget that this feedback isn't free.

An opinion that as long as marginal revenue is the same, you don't need to worry about the where your customer base is coming from or to worry about the total level of sales. Overhead costs matter; this is a pretty basic concept. Reading a section of the feedback that breaks down completely when overhead costs are considered was pretty painful.

Ranting over Okay, hopefully I restrained my rage decently there, I tried at least. The first part I was sharing because I'm hoping that I could keep it vague enough to be SOA-appropriate but still helpful. The second part I was sharing because I needed to vent. Thank you for being here in my time of
Thanks for your post.
I got Does Not Meet Min Req today (submitted 6/14)
I am going to call SOA tomorrow to purchase detailed feedback.
I believe the retake will be the same questions (diff numbers), so I will try to rework the FA and if I manage to improve it in the next couple of weeks then I'll resubmit it, otherwise if it takes me longer, then I'll wait to receive the detailed feedback.

The best (and only) thing that this whole FAP process teaches is that there is a lot of crap one has to go through to get somewhere.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM
SOA

Studying for LRM
College: Nanyang Technological University

I submitted last night, so I guess I'll join this support group now. Good luck everybody!

Tags
elearn useless, fa results, i am in - add exams, posthumous asa, the fa gives me gas, ur fees paid 4 my caviar, you gon elearn today boy