Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
SOA

Default iPhone 5s/6

I had mentioned a few rumors about Apple's next iPhone in the "iPhone 5" thread. However, an analyst with a really good track record for accurate predictions last year came out with his expectations yesterday. So it's probably time to start a new thread dedicated to the upcoming iPhones.

This analyst (Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI) believes the new flagship will be called the 5s -- which is interesting, because some websites have reported hits from an iPhone "6,1" out of Cupertino running iOS 7. This is pretty typical for Apple, and one of the ways analysts predict when they will release the next model. From this timing, a number of analysts now think the 5s/6 will come out in June/July, although some still think it won't be until September.

Kuo goes on to provide the most comprehensive prediction I've seen yet, and the improvements are consistent with purchases Apple has made. I will link to the article, but it would be handy if somebody could help me figure out how to post the chart.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/...-macbook-pros/

A fingerprint sensor in the home button sounds very useful. It would be great for my fingerprint to take the place of passwords, if the technology is reliable.

The Smart LED seems like it would be handy for improving the white balance between the camera light and the ambient light, removing weird color mixes in indoor shots.

I thought others might find this at least somewhat interesting, especially if anyone is in the same boat as I am, waiting for the next model before upgrading.

Last edited by Egghead; 01-16-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I will link to the article, but it would be handy if somebody could help me figure out how to post the chart.
This one?

1. Open web page
2. Right click on image
3. Choose "Copy Image Location" (this is using Firefox. Similar options for other browsers, I'm sure)
4. Go to AO post creator
5. Type what you want
6. At place of desired insertion (tee hee), click the "Insert Image" icon (it looks like a landscape photo)
7. Ctrl-v to paste the image location
8. You'll see the location inside [img] tags
9. Or you could just type the img tags and past the location in there yourself
10. Click "Preview Post" to see what it'll look like--helpful to make sure you're not posting a giant pic
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Or this one?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
This one?

1. Open web page
2. Right click on image
3. Choose "Copy Image Location" (this is using Firefox. Similar options for other browsers, I'm sure)
4. Go to AO post creator
5. Type what you want
6. At place of desired insertion (tee hee), click the "Insert Image" icon (it looks like a landscape photo)
7. Ctrl-v to paste the image location
8. You'll see the location inside [img] tags
9. Or you could just type the img tags and past the location in there yourself
10. Click "Preview Post" to see what it'll look like--helpful to make sure you're not posting a giant pic
This is the chart I wanted. And thanks for the instructions. When I tried that on my work computer, it "ghosted out" a number of the options, including the one to get the link. I guess that's another one of the protections my company has in place? Seems weird to me, but oh well.

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
SOA

I really hope this "fingerprint sensor in the home button" rumor turns out to be true. Sounds like a great way to make fast electronic payment work in a way that consumers would be more comfortable with (security-wise):

from http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-...dition-1021318:
Quote:
analyst has said that the addition of fingerprint sensor could prove to be a winning move by Apple as it would replace authentication through usernames and passwords, allowing the users to authenticate in a more disciplined manner.

A built-in finger print sensor is also expected to go hand in hand with applications like Passbook to improve their functionality. It will enhance the security and authentication of the user’s boarding passes, tickets and other Passbook items, according to Christian Zibreg of iDownloadBlog.

The report also has pointed out something that Kuo hasn’t talked about – a rumored Apple-branded payment service, dubbed “iPay,” with fingerprint sensor integration. Although there is hardly any proof of iPay getting developed, Apple, in fact, has filed for a number of patents related to mobile payment – the iWallet solution for future NFC-enabled iPhone is the most significant one to be cited here.

Since Apple has over 400 million iTunes account holders, Zibreg believes that “the company would be foolish not to eventually tap into all these credit cards and turn your iPhone into the ultimate digital wallet, strengthened with fingerprint-based authentication.”
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

Very interesting, I will be following this update this year. Please post news as you find them.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
SOA

I think these rumors get really crazy. For some reason, I just don't see a fingerprint sensor on an iPhone in 2013.

Apple, prove me wrong
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

How would such a sensor work? Would it be some hardware not on the screen?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
How would such a sensor work? Would it be some hardware not on the screen?

Did you not read quote above? It would be built into the iPhone home button. You can probably turn the current square shape in the button into a sensor.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Apple, prove me wrong
Sorry, but this reminded me of a Simpsons quote:

Quote:
Mrs. Krabappel: Seymour, you have to think of the children's future.
Seymour: Oh, Edna. We all know that these children HAVE no future.
[everyone stops and stares at Seymour]
Seymour: Prove me wrong, children. Prove me wrong.
/hijack