Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM

I want to get my hands on one of those dynamic-tactile-surface screens and try it out. Potential for that chit is awesome.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-ces-2013.aspx
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
SOA

Weird.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Apple, prove me wrong
i would love to see this too.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2TRM View Post
I want to get my hands on one of those dynamic-tactile-surface screens and try it out. Potential for that chit is awesome.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-ces-2013.aspx
me like
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
SOA

Further evidence of NFC (Near Field Communication) coming to the iPhone. No mention of the fingerprint sensor, but again, the two capabilities would work together nicely to support this eWallet concept that Apple has filed a patent for.

from http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...s-for-children
Quote:
Apple's interest in the concept was revealed in a patent application published Thursday by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office entitled "Parental Controls." It describes ways that a user could establish rules for subsidiary financial accounts.

The proposed invention shows a hypothetical application on the iPhone home screen named "E-Wallet." The software allows users to have a primary account tied to a credit card, allowing transactions to be conducted with an iPhone.

The key feature of the filing are the E-Wallet subsidiary accounts. By creating one, the user can allow new users, such as children, to have access to the E-Wallet app with controlled spending limits.

The customizable rules would allow a parent to set, for example, a weekly or monthly allowance for their children. The application would also enable parents to decline transactions if they are over a certain amount of money.

Parents could also restrict transactions from certain merchant categories, or even block sales to a specific merchant or location. In one example, the application is set to prevent the user from purchasing alcohol or tobacco with Apple's iPhone e-wallet.

Illustrations included in Apple's patent filing show that the concept for the E-Wallet application would include purchase history, bill summary, and the ability to search for specific transactions. The E-Wallet app would be driven by users' existing credit cards, with numbers entered into the software to link them together.

The filing goes on to note that a future iPhone could have an integrated near-field communication chip to supplement the E-Wallet app. It notes that communication using the NFC component would occur in a range of 2 to 4 centimeters.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:

Did you not read quote above? It would be built into the iPhone home button. You can probably turn the current square shape in the button into a sensor.
Thanks, I must have missed that part.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I think these rumors get really crazy. For some reason, I just don't see a fingerprint sensor on an iPhone in 2013.

Apple, prove me wrong
Whats the issue? The last low end laptop I bought about 4 years ago (that I hated and has since died) had a finger scanner. This "saved" me from having to type my password in when it would go to sleep. Not very valuable, but it worked just fine. Don't see why something like this would be difficult to put on a smart phone.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Whats the issue? The last low end laptop I bought about 4 years ago (that I hated and has since died) had a finger scanner. This "saved" me from having to type my password in when it would go to sleep. Not very valuable, but it worked just fine. Don't see why something like this would be difficult to put on a smart phone.
It's a "blemish" on the product. Apple is very much for a clean looking product. Steve Jobs has been known to dislike buttons There's a reason why the iPhone has very little physical buttons or a keyboard option. There's a reason why their standard mouse has no buttons (and instead acts as one giant button).

Being that none of their laptops have fingerprint sensor when windows-based PCs have had them for the last 5 years or so is also pretty telling.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Retina scanner or GTFO
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
SOA

Apple shares dropped bigtime over the past week on rumors that they slashed orders from suppliers of the displays for the iPhone 5. However, more and more analysts simply see that as a sign that Apple will introduce the next model less than a year later. The iPhone 5 was released in September. It is expected the 5s will be released in June or July, so it makes sense that they would decrease orders for components on the iPhone 5 that will not be on the 5s.

This set of events is further increasing rumors that the 5s will include an IGZO display, which is lighter, thinner and more efficient than the existing display. This would allow for either a thinner phone, or the inclusion of a bigger battery, the latter of which is part of the chart found in the second post in this thread. So if there is a better battery and a less power-hungry display, then battery life could be improved considerably.

I'm really surprised that analysts are saying the next iPhone will be the 5s, since there is evidence that a prototype for the iPhone 6 exists and is being tested out of the Cupertino campus. One analyst believes the 6 will be introduced several months (but not a year) after the 5s, and will include a larger display, while the 5s will have the same size display as the 5.