Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 04-17-2002, 12:55 PM

Default Any Chicago Pension Analyst jobs?

Just wondering if anybody knows of any companies that are hiring pension analysts in the Chicago area? I have three years of experience. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:33 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

Obvious answer to your question: Call a recruiter or wait for Claude to post a link to DW Simpsons current listings.

Alternative:

Go to the SOA website. Click on the directory. Do a search on Chicago or Illinois or the area code or the zip code.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:49 PM

I have done both already. I have sent out resumes to the top six firms in consulting. I am looking for contacts or individuals who might know a hiring manager so I could give them a call. The problem with applying for jobs over the internet is that you do not know if your resume will land in the appropriate place.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:08 PM

Since I am applying for a consulting position wouldn't a recruiter send the wrong message to the employer. As a analyst training to be a consultant I think a cold call to a manager should make the point that an individual is serious about becoming a consultant.

I do not plan on using a recruiter because I believe the only benefit they can provide is that they know who to contact directly for the position enabling them to bypass the initial resume submission process.

My nest option is to analyze the SOA actuarial directory and try and determine the hiring manager from their credentials but I thought I would check with the actuarial discussion board first.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Kitten

When I first started in consulting, I got the job by sending a resume directly to my (then & now) boss who I had heard from a friend was looking for someone. My boss was not using a head hunter, so I by-passed that. I knew the kind of things my boss was involved in, and I tailored my cover letter accordingly. I went for the interview the day after dropping off my resume at 5pm! 1.5 weeks later I accepted an offer.

If you want to work in consulting, you are right to find out the name of the practice leader, do some research (look for their names or company names in industry publication), and tailor your cover letter. To find out the name of the practice leaders in Chicago, simply call the firm and ask the receptionist for the name of the practice leader for:
Pension Insurance Actuarial
If the receptionist doesn't know, then asked to be transferred to one of the assistants in the actuarial practice.

In consulting you will need to sometimes go out on a limb and do things that shake you up or make you a bit uncomfortable. Being able to go out on a limb when you are looking for a job is a good sign that you have some self-confidence...which you will need! I wish you good luck.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:30 AM

Rokee, a good recruiter does more than just know the right people to contact. (However, I see from your post that you aren't sure your resume got to the right people due to applying over the internet). A good recruiter will match personalities so that time isn't wasted, prep for interviews, debrief the company so you can know what they are thinking and why, prepare both sides for reasonable salary expectations, critique your resume and help you improve it if necessary, be the go-between for offer negotiations (feelings are stepped on less often with a middle-man), if a spouse is involved help them get started on their job search ( I know many recruiters that deal with a variety of professions)....that's enough for starters. After the fact, I've helped locate movers if necessary, realtors that were top-notch, jazz clubs, churches, you name it.