Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Design and Accounting Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Design and Accounting Exam Old Retirement Company/Sponsor Perspective (nation-specific) Forum

Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
Sorry to hear that...best next time!

I squeaked through with a pass. I am done with exams. It is an amazing feeling.
Congrats! I hope to know what that feels like come July. Way to go tackling both RPIRM and DAU in one year! The fall 2018 exam timing didn't work out for me, so I'm taking DAU this spring.

Any words of advice?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 PM
SOA

Studying for Design and Accounting
College: The University of Texas at Austin
Favorite beer: Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA

Failed again...

Maybe 4th try's a charm...
Economics Finance Statistics
Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 PM
SOA

Studying for RPIRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCobb View Post
Congrats! I hope to know what that feels like come July. Way to go tackling both RPIRM and DAU in one year! The fall 2018 exam timing didn't work out for me, so I'm taking DAU this spring.

Any words of advice?
I have no idea how but I passed, after spending 8 weeks convincing myself that I failed.

My strategy if I had to retake was to do the shorter readings and new readings, and then only use the Edge summaries for the longer readings or not as important ones. I feel like reading the summaries and doing QBS only may be enough to get a pass, or it may not be. I think I'm literally on the verge of passing and not passing.

On the exam, there was one question that I didn't remember reading about at all. After the exam, I went to look in my manual and even in the manual, there were maybe 4 bullets total on it. If you have the time, I definitely recommend doing as many readings as you can.

EA-2F EA-2L RETDAU RPIRM
FSA Modules
DMAC FAC
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAct View Post
Passed but definitely was 50/50 on if I passed or not.

I was certain I would have calluses on my writing hand.
I passed with a 8. I wasn't sure if I passed but I know I wrote until the last minute for each session (basically a brain dump for each question).

I heard this exam was the hardest exam so I put in about 500 hours of studying (overkill probably) so I am happy to never do this exam again!

For those who didn't pass, don't give up! Keep pushing!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I thought there was a good chance that I passed when I left the exam, but I ended up with a 4. I didn't put the hours in, but I felt I had solid understanding for the material. I didn't do the memorization that is heavily recommended because I donít believe thatís how you understand things. However, given the time constraints of the exam, I think it would have been helpful if I had.

Here's my strategy for the retake in May:
Read through the source material
Be able to do accounting questions in my sleep (and fast)
Memorize the QBS
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM
SOA

Studying for Design and Accounting
College: The University of Texas at Austin
Favorite beer: Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
I thought there was a good chance that I passed when I left the exam, but I ended up with a 4. I didn't put the hours in, but I felt I had solid understanding for the material. I didn't do the memorization that is heavily recommended because I donít believe thatís how you understand things. However, given the time constraints of the exam, I think it would have been helpful if I had.

Here's my strategy for the retake in May:
Read through the source material
Be able to do accounting questions in my sleep (and fast)
Memorize the QBS
We'll get it next time!
Economics Finance Statistics
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymath View Post
I have no idea how but I passed, after spending 8 weeks convincing myself that I failed.
Woohoo, that must be an awesome feeling of relief!

Quote:
My strategy if I had to retake was to do the shorter readings and new readings, and then only use the Edge summaries for the longer readings or not as important ones. I feel like reading the summaries and doing QBS only may be enough to get a pass, or it may not be. I think I'm literally on the verge of passing and not passing.

On the exam, there was one question that I didn't remember reading about at all. After the exam, I went to look in my manual and even in the manual, there were maybe 4 bullets total on it. If you have the time, I definitely recommend doing as many readings as you can.
I took a similar approach with RPIRM towards the end. I started out memorizing the QBS, then added context by reading the summaries. If I didn't quite understand a topic or thought the summary was a little too high level, I read the source text. I also read the source text for all the new stuff that had been added to the syllabus and the commonly tested items.

I ended up purchasing the PAK Exam Aid and Test Aid about a month out because the Edge didn't have any practice questions on Key Rate Duration, which was new to the syllabus for Fall 2017/Spring 2018 and hadn't been tested in the Fall 2017 sitting. Sure enough, there was a KRD question in the Spring 2018 sitting, but I was ready for it!

I'm taking a different approach with RETDAU - doing the readings first, then QBS. Hopefully it works out. There's so much material!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
SOA

Studying for RPIRM

Quote:
Woohoo, that must be an awesome feeling of relief!
It sure was.

Quote:
I took a similar approach with RPIRM towards the end. I started out memorizing the QBS, then added context by reading the summaries. If I didn't quite understand a topic or thought the summary was a little too high level, I read the source text. I also read the source text for all the new stuff that had been added to the syllabus and the commonly tested items.

I ended up purchasing the PAK Exam Aid and Test Aid about a month out because the Edge didn't have any practice questions on Key Rate Duration, which was new to the syllabus for Fall 2017/Spring 2018 and hadn't been tested in the Fall 2017 sitting. Sure enough, there was a KRD question in the Spring 2018 sitting, but I was ready for it!

I'm taking a different approach with RETDAU - doing the readings first, then QBS. Hopefully it works out. There's so much material!
I would have to say one thing to doing the readings first though. I read through the entire manual and then started memorizing QBS. By the time I started on QBS, I had forgotten everything I read because they didn't really sink in as I was reading them. Although I don't know if I would recommend not reading first either because maybe the information did get stored deep down in my brain. Not sure which is the best method for you but just wanted to share my two cents.

EA-2F EA-2L RETDAU RPIRM
FSA Modules
DMAC FAC
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules

Quote:
I would have to say one thing to doing the readings first though. I read through the entire manual and then started memorizing QBS. By the time I started on QBS, I had forgotten everything I read because they didn't really sink in as I was reading them. Although I don't know if I would recommend not reading first either because maybe the information did get stored deep down in my brain. Not sure which is the best method for you but just wanted to share my two cents.
Yeah, there's no ideal way to tackle this beast. If you start with the readings, you risk nothing really sticking. If you start by memorizing QBS, then you have to dedicate time to reviewing them every day while also doing the readings so you don't forget them. Heck, even with the <500 flashcards for RPIRM, I struggled with getting through the whole stack without forgetting the first ones by the time I got to the end.

I'm kicking myself for not at least doing the textbook and online readings back in November/December. It's going to be a rough 15 weeks.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:48 PM
SOA

Default Transcript performance

Changing subject, does anyone know if your results by question automatically appear on your transcript or if you have to ask for them? For the life of me I can't find anything about it on the SOA website.