Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 AM

The NY Times says two convictions.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 AM

Its interesting to note that in 2 recent occasions that Bruce chose to keep quite (on the FEM exploration issue and on the Sanford settlement) people are now holding those up and inferring that he agreed with the decisions since he didn't say anything at the time.

My guess is that he won't make that mistake a third time.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
How right you are. Sanford told me in 2002 that she knew about an expunged conviction. She was fired in 2006. No connection whatsoever.

Bruce
Bruce, why didn't you just resign and avoid putting the AAA (and yourself) through this?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 AM
SOA CCA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Post View Post
Bruce, why didn't you just resign and avoid putting the AAA (and yourself) through this?
Keep in mind that Bruce's lawsuit is on-going and he may not be able to answer questions related to it.
If I weren't out here every day battling the white man, I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity—because you can hardly mention anything I'm not curious about. — Malcolm X

Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Obviously I don't speak for Bruce but IMO there is a matter of principle involved.

If a criminal record has been expunged, I am sure the esteemed judge who made the decision had a very good reason for doing so. In my books it never happened, period.

Digging up a 30 year old expunged issue to bandy in front of a soon to be president is just as dirty as politicians digging up ancient history to look for dirt to fling on their opponents during the political campaigns.

So let's say Bruce takes the easy way out and resigns, what's next?

I can imagine:

Dear Bruce,

Someone with your record is not fit to act as the VP of NY Life. Please do the honorable thing and resign or it will be my duty to forward some emabarassing information to the Board of Directors of your company.

Thank you.

Dear Bruce,

Come to think of it, someone with your record is not fit to even act as an actuary. Please resign your FSA title.

Thank you.

If we want to judge Bruce, then by all means judge him by his actions in recent years, not by some 30 year old history that officially never happened.

Lastly on the issue of judging someone's character, I would think the actions taken by a person to circumvent certain non-disclosure laws would be far more worthy of scrutiny, but then IANAL.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
After all this, some members of the AAA look a lot worse than Bruce, should we be expecting their withdrawal from the actuarial societies?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarialsuck View Post
After all this, some members of the AAA look a lot worse than Bruce, should we be expecting their withdrawal from the actuarial societies?
One can win a battle but lose the war.

It appears that Bruce is willing to burn the AAA if he cannot be president one year. That seems to be small minded thinking. Which is why I posed the question to Bruce. If he chooses not to answer it, fine. But I, and many others, would like to know why he is choosing this course of action. Because it looks like Captain Ahab is off hunting Moby Dick.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:

It appears that Bruce is willing to burn the AAA if he cannot be president one year. That seems to be small minded thinking. Which is why I posed the question to Bruce. If he chooses not to answer it, fine. But I, and many others, would like to know why he is choosing this course of action. Because it looks like Captain Ahab is off hunting Moby Dick.
I am interested in where would you draw the line between standing up for what you think is right and a scorched earth policy.

Let's say that you have earned your letters and one day the SOA inexplicably decides to take away your title for what you consider frivolous/malicious reasons, would you challenge them? If you do, how far would you go or would you just walk away so that you would not "burn" the SOA?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:
“Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale;
to the last I grapple with thee;
from hell’s heart I stab at thee;
for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee!”

Thus were some of the last words of the revenge-mad Captain Ahab. Moments later his insane quest causes his ship to sink, all his men but one (the oarsman who tells the tale) to die, and his own life is given as he harpoons the great white whale and gets wrapped up in the line, tied to the whale to be taken down to his watery death.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishamael View Post
Let's say that you have earned your letters and one day the SOA inexplicably decides to take away your title for what you consider frivolous/malicious reasons, would you challenge them? If you do, how far would you go or would you just walk away so that you would not "burn" the SOA?
Bruce's letters aren't being taken away. The AAA doesn't want Bruce to be their president because, among other things, he just had to pay $1 million+ in a defamation lawsuit. He could still go be a highly productive actuary.

But no. Instead we have Captain Ahab. Let the world burn.

Tags
aaa, bruce schobel