Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Actuarial Educators and Research
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 AM
SOA

Default A Book on Actuarial Science

Hi All

Just wanted to do a quick research on the public's opinion on this. I am currently working on a book about actuarial science to help students understand more about the actuarial industry and decide if actuarial is the right choice for them. I have decided not to obtain my actuarial credentials as I don't really have much interest in becoming a practicing actuary. I prefer the educational side of actuarial science where I am more focused on working with students and aspiring actuaries. I have been interviewing various actuarial professionals within the industry to help add value to my readers. And I would like to get more thoughts from the actuarial community about ideas that will benefit my readers.

Do you think this book will help add value to aspiring actuaries and students looking to venture into actuarial? What do you think are essential topics that needs to be covered within this book?

Here's a link to the book for more info about the topics that I have currently written: http://www.strengthinnumbers31.com

Thanks all!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 AM
CAS

Do you provide any guidance about the actual work that actuaries do or just about passing the prelims?

There's another poster who also published a book about passing the prelims somewhere...

Last edited by redearedslider; 02-14-2017 at 03:36 AM..
Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 AM
SOA

The book covers a wide range of topics actually so it's not just focused on one specific topic like passing the prelims. It covers topics on how to select an actuarial university, how to become an actuary, the actuarial exams, why you should/shouldn't study actuarial, the actuarial job, what makes you a great actuary and so on.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:25 PM
SOA

Why would someone pay money for a book rather than read the vast amount of material already available on the Outpost, r/actuary, etc.? Westley hasn't written a book - are you telling me your advice is going to be better than his?

Why is your advice more valuable than others, when you didn't reach ASA and have very little actual working experience?

Is your primary intention for this book to make money, or to help aspiring actuaries? If the former, go for it but I don't think this will be remotely successful. If the latter, post it online for everyone to have for free.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:32 PM
CAS

I found her on linkedin if anyone is curious what her qualifications are
Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 PM
SOA

1. Why does your website say "LIMITED QUANTITY AVAILABLE"? How many are you planning to print and why won't you print more to meet demand?

2. Why does it say "Get My FREE Copy Now" when the book isn't even available yet?

3. Why did you decide to publish through PublishABookAndGrowRich.com?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 PM
SOA

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmagnetw View Post
Why would someone pay money for a book rather than read the vast amount of material already available on the Outpost, r/actuary, etc.? Westley hasn't written a book - are you telling me your advice is going to be better than his?

Why is your advice more valuable than others, when you didn't reach ASA and have very little actual working experience?

Is your primary intention for this book to make money, or to help aspiring actuaries? If the former, go for it but I don't think this will be remotely successful. If the latter, post it online for everyone to have for free.
I am not planning to make money from book sales. I am giving away the e-book for free to anybody who wants to read it. You just need to sign up for it. I will not say that my advice will be better than Westley. Westley definitely has more experience than me. What I can say is that I have interviewed recruiters, the various actuarial organizations (SOA, CAS, CIA, IFoA), universities etc as I am working on this book to add value to the readers.

I understand you may find my credentials concerning since I did not attain my ASA and did not work much in the industrial actuarial side. And I make up for that by speaking to the various professionals within the actuarial world to deepen my own knowledge and help students through the book. Plus, I am pretty close to attaining my ASA actually. I only have 4 more FAP modules and MLC to complete before getting the ASA. But I decided to not go that route as I do not aspire to become a practicing actuary.

I came up with this book idea because aspiring actuaries and students from the country in which I come from (Malaysia) do not really use the actuarial forums, they don't have much resources to help them understand the actuarial industry better and there is a lack of awareness of this industry. I have met many students who jumped into actuarial for the wrong reasons and then wish they had chosen a different path right after high school graduation. I hope to fix this problem and writing a book was the first thing that came to mind.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 PM
SOA

Default Re

Quote:
1. Why does your website say "LIMITED QUANTITY AVAILABLE"? How many are you planning to print and why won't you print more to meet demand?

2. Why does it say "Get My FREE Copy Now" when the book isn't even available yet?

3. Why did you decide to publish through PublishABookAndGrowRich.com?

1) The limited quantity available is for the e-books. Since I am currently unsure if I am going to have the free book offer in the long run, I placed limited quantity available so that people don't get confused as to why isn't there a free e-book in the future. It's a way for me to determine what are people looking for in this market.

2) It says that because I want to encourage you to sign up and join the list of people who are waiting for their free e-book. People have the tendency to procrastinate if you don't create a sense of urgency for them to act on in the internet.

3) I decided to publish this book through them because I attended a workshop under them about entrepreneurship. I've been trying to decide what kind of entrepreneur do I want to be (If I wanted to do something related to what I studied which is actuarial or do I just want to branch out into a different field entirely.) I decided to start my entrepreneur journey with this book. Since I have no business background or experience in entrepreneurship, I decided to work with them on building up my entrepreneurial skills.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 AM
SOA

College: University of Michigan, class of 2014

Quote:

Malaysian actuary here. If you want to slowly build your reputation I believe it is best to summarize it and post it in some well-established forum or social media so people would actually read. I'm not sure if Malaysians do care this enough to read a book on actuarial science.

That being said, I wish you good luck in your endeavor as entrepreneur.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 AM
SOA

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.

Tags
actuarial book, actuarial students, aspiring actuaries