Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Let's enjoy college football playoff for what it is. Sure, the selection process is a bit suspect, but at the end of the day we will have 4 top ten teams battling it out for a championship.

0 or 1-loss major conference champions will likely have the inside track while 1-loss non-champions and possibly 2-loss champions may have a shot. Let's enjoy the games as they come and see how it all plays out.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 PM
SOA

As for the bowl selection process, similar points apply. Let's just hope that the games themselves turn out to be entertaining.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
The Auburn loss to LSU was fluky. They rolled them for 300 yards in the first half and had a 20 point lead. Then, they took their foot off the gas and LSU hit two big plays.
They only 36 yards in the 3rd quarter, and LSU out gained them overall. Besides, if they only hit two big plays, that would mean they would at most score 14 points...
Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
As for the bowl selection process, meh.
Fixed, for truthiness.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:15 PM
SOA AAA

Probably easier to create eight conference from the 64 teams in Power 5.
Then, have committee pick eight teams for a playoff with a first round on the weekend after current championship game weekend.
So, seven conference games and require three games against other Power 5 teams. Team can choose the flavor of cupcakes for its last two games.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:07 PM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Probably easier to create eight conference from the 64 teams in Power 5.
Then, have committee pick eight teams for a playoff with a first round on the weekend after current championship game weekend.
So, seven conference games and require three games against other Power 5 teams. Team can choose the flavor of cupcakes for its last two games.
Perhaps that would be a lot cleaner, but you're talking about re-organizing leagues that have been in existence for a very long time. Shrinking these conferences down to a size of eight members would necessitate kicking out charter schools from most of the power conferences. Or, just starting new leagues altogether and foregoing what is, in some cases, more than 100 years of tradition:
  • Big XII was formed in 1994 (but a lot of those schools are leftovers from the Big 8 Conference, which was formed in 1907, and the Texas schools are leftovers from the SWC, which was formed in 1914)
  • ACC was formed in 1953
  • SEC was formed in 1932
  • PAC-whatever has been around since 1915
  • Big Ten was formed in 1896

You can't just design it from scratch, imo. You have to cobble it on top of the existing framework, even if that isn't as elegant.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 PM
SOA

SWC was demolished in 1996 and Big East was relegated in 2013, and both were established power conferences that were around for a long time. So anything is possible. But I think it's more likely that it will happen one at a time than all at once.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 PM
SOA AAA

I didn't say it was possible. just that it would be cleaner. And yes, everyone would be upset, for a time.
For the good of the many, I say. ('Many" = "all of America.")
Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
They also factor in that Alabama is playing with a ton of injuries.
I just read that Minkah Fitzpatrick was not seen on the practice field yesterday, which would be another huge loss on defense for them.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 PM
CAS

How many teams still control their own destiny? Seems like top 7 to me, but might be top 8.