Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM
CAS SOA

College: University in The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Regardless, in order to get into that stack, you'll have to appear (via your resume) to be as good as those.
it's not your only chance.
And there are plenty of other companies. Pinning your hopes on one company is not a good strategy to get a job.

So, you have about 100+ more resumes to send. Then, another 100+.
I know, I am applying to all the companies but it's this specific company that haven't been replying at all. I don't think my resume is too weak with 2 actuarial, 1 financial, 1 data analyst internships and 2 exams.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I see it as a slight positive. Not having a fear of rejection is an important personality trait to have in one's career.

I have yet to see a scrub cold email me. Each one I've encountered have 3-4 exams from pretty good schools, and I keep in touch with them every now and then. All of them, however, have visa issues.
You definitely didn't get MY cold email. Jokes aside, I have 2 exams, 2 actuarial internships , 1 financial, 1 data analytics and am writing my 3rd in a few days. I'm also a Canadian so I won't need a visa sponsorship (TN Status) but I feel like if I apply online, HR would pass on my application because I'm international.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerr View Post
You definitely didn't get MY cold email. Jokes aside, I have 2 exams, 2 actuarial internships , 1 financial, 1 data analytics and am writing my 3rd in a few days. I'm also a Canadian so I won't need a visa sponsorship (TN Status) but I feel like if I apply online, HR would pass on my application because I'm international.
I don't know how NYL's hiring process works, but I do know NYC is really competitive and it could be grades, having 2 exams, or maybe confusion regarding your work eligibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:04 PM
SOA

2 exams and an internship is pretty good (if youre applying in the US). Cold emailing usually works better at small companies or midsize companies. I've emailed large companies before and never got responses... don't expect much.

Cold calling might be awkward.... I've never really heard of people doing it nowadays. Yeah, just get some of the folks here to critique your resume... or if you feel uncomfortable get your past supervisors to read it.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM

College: About to be a super senior

I had a phone interview at NYL new york office by cold emailing long time ago. I don't remember who I emailed. Might have actually been the chief actuary. But, I don't know. If you already sent 15 emails and haven't gotten a response, you might have done all you could.

It's a big company. So, the result could vary widely depending who you email. As a rule of thumb, you wanna send an email to someone reasonably high up. Best of luck.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Now that I just counted, it's actually 25+ to CVPs, AVPs, VPs and etc. And all I can ask for is chance for them to take a look at my resume..I just wanted to make sure they actually see the email in their inbox. Does cold calling actually work? Plus I'm not sure if I have time to call them during the working hours since I'm currently interning right now.
Holy freakin shit. Did you really email 25+ VPs?? You might as well be blacklisted by now. Moderation is the key.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 PM
SOA AAA

Meh. It's e-mail. Simple to delete.

OP has an obsession that needs to be quelled. Or quaaluded.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
2 exams and an internship is pretty good (if youre applying in the US). Cold emailing usually works better at small companies or midsize companies. I've emailed large companies before and never got responses... don't expect much.

Cold calling might be awkward.... I've never really heard of people doing it nowadays. Yeah, just get some of the folks here to critique your resume... or if you feel uncomfortable get your past supervisors to read it.
Yeah I heard from people in the US that it shouldn't be hard to find jobs but I the hiring season is over so I might have to hold off cold emailing until early next year. Thanks for your advice though!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Holy freakin shit. Did you really email 25+ VPs?? You might as well be blacklisted by now. Moderation is the key.
haha not at once..gradually over time(1.5 months?) as I didn't get a single reply. So people actually do get relies...interesting
Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Hi all,

This is my first time positing on AO and I must say, this community has been extremely helpful and it got me where I am now, so I'd like to thank you all.

Anyways, I've been trying to get my resume to the right person at NYL since I'd really like to work there, and I was just wondering if anyone had some luck with cold emailing NYL for EL positions because for some reason, I didn't get a single reply out of 15+ emails that I sent. Not even "I passed along your resume to HR...".

I'm starting to think that my email can't get through their filter..(I used both Hotmail and my college domain)

If anyone knows anything about this or has experience with emailing NYL I'd appreciate your comment!
you are probably just not competitive enough. even canadian students with 4 internships, 5+ exams and top 5% GPAs will be ignored by the best because those companies are pursued by people from Ivy league with B.Sc. or Masters/PhD from Ivy/non-Ivy and a good track record of excellence. Any Act. Sci. Student from Canada is just mehhhh. You gotta have at least a masters in Stats or some other quantitative field from U of T or UBC imo, and good experience. edit: I forgot Mcgill

if you look at the education attained by employees at a company like liberty mutual through some directory you'll find PhDs galore

Last edited by AbedNadir; 11-14-2017 at 10:52 PM..