Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerr View Post
Hi all,

This is my first time positing on AO and I must say, this community has been extremely helpful and it got me where I am now, so I'd like to thank you all.

Anyways, I've been trying to get my resume to the right person at NYL since I'd really like to work there, and I was just wondering if anyone had some luck with cold emailing NYL for EL positions because for some reason, I didn't get a single reply out of 15+ emails that I sent. Not even "I passed along your resume to HR...".

I'm starting to think that my email can't get through their filter..(I used both Hotmail and my college domain)

If anyone knows anything about this or has experience with emailing NYL I'd appreciate your comment!
you are probably just not competitive enough. even canadian students with 4 internships, 5+ exams and top 5% GPAs will be ignored by the best because those companies are pursued by people from Ivy league with B.Sc. or Masters/PhD from Ivy/non-Ivy and a good track record of excellence. Any Act. Sci. Student from Canada is just mehhhh. You gotta have at least a masters in Stats or some other quantitative field from U of T or UBC imo, and good experience. edit: I forgot Mcgill

if you look at the education attained by employees at a company like liberty mutual through some directory you'll find PhDs galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.

Last edited by AbedNadir; 11-14-2017 at 11:52 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 PM
CAS SOA

College: University in The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
you are probably just not competitive enough. even canadian students with 4 internships, 5+ exams and top 5% GPAs will be ignored by the best because those companies are pursued by people from Ivy league with B.Sc. or Masters/PhD from Ivy/non-Ivy and a good track record of excellence. Any Act. Sci. Student from Canada is just mehhhh. You gotta have at least a masters in Stats or some other quantitative field from U of T or UBC imo, and good experience

if you look at the education attained by employees at a company like liberty mutual through some directory you'll find PhDs galore
You are probably right in saying that I'm not competitive enough but I'm not sure if I agree with what you said below.. perhaps it's because they're international students?(non-Canadian) I just looked at Linkedin and NYL actuaries seem to be from all kinds of universities and not many are Ivy let alone PhDs.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerr View Post
You are probably right in saying that I'm not competitive enough but I'm not sure if I agree with what you said below.. perhaps it's because they're international students?(non-Canadian) I just looked at Linkedin and NYL actuaries seem to be from all kinds of universities and not many are Ivy let alone PhDs.
my mistake, i haven't actually looked at their backgrounds for that company

Quote:
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo

Quote:
you are probably just not competitive enough. even canadian students with 4 internships, 5+ exams and top 5% GPAs will be ignored by the best because those companies are pursued by people from Ivy league with B.Sc. or Masters/PhD from Ivy/non-Ivy and a good track record of excellence. Any Act. Sci. Student from Canada is just mehhhh. You gotta have at least a masters in Stats or some other quantitative field from U of T or UBC imo, and good experience. edit: I forgot Mcgill

I was with you until you mentioned U of T (OK fine, this is acceptable), McGill (meh...), UBC (wut da actual ****) but not UW. Bruh, do you even Canada?

I'm biased though.

I kinda agree with you on the first part. If OP is from the US/a US school, he/she'd have a much easier time landing an interview with NYL.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunnyf View Post
I was with you until you mentioned U of T (OK fine, this is acceptable), McGill (meh...), UBC (wut da actual ****) but not UW. Bruh, do you even Canada?

I'm biased though.

I kinda agree with you on the first part. If OP is from the US/a US school, he/she'd have a much easier time landing an interview with NYL.
waterloo is a less prestigious university than any of the three that I mentioned

Quote:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo

Quote:
waterloo is a less prestigious university than any of the three that I mentioned
For shits like psychology/environmental study? Sure.

For actuarial science? LMAO.. UT may not completely get its ass kicked, but McGill? UBC??? r u srs?

I don't even wanna mention CompSci & SE...

Old 11-15-2017, 09:42 AM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Do you really have to come from top top schools to be an actuary? come on. This isn't some quantitative finance job where banks exclusively look at ppl from top schools. THere are countless examples of actuaries who went to crap schools.
Which school you came from matters slightly. Have good GPA, internship, network and you will be fine.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MLC
College: FSU

I don't know many Actuaries, but I can't think of a single one who would enjoy receiving a cold call...
The one time I saw/heard it happen at my previous employer, the FSA said, "We don't take cold calls like this, you'll have to apply online. Have a nice day." Then after hanging up said, "Wow, that was aggressive."

That's just one person, but I feel like applying through the HR portal or sending cold emails is best. It allows the person to review your resume at their leisure.

I mean what's the point of the cold call? Do you just want to hear someone say, they'll look at your resume? Do you want to interview right then and there?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
I don't know many Actuaries, but I can't think of a single one who would enjoy receiving a cold call...
The one time I saw/heard it happen at my previous employer, the FSA said, "We don't take cold calls like this, you'll have to apply online. Have a nice day." Then after hanging up said, "Wow, that was aggressive."

That's just one person, but I feel like applying through the HR portal or sending cold emails is best. It allows the person to review your resume at their leisure.

I mean what's the point of the cold call? Do you just want to hear someone say, they'll look at your resume? Do you want to interview right then and there?
I agree, cold calling is too risky.

Yes, there may be some people that might get impressed but I would say most actuaries whose minds are filled with other things, won't be happy about being distracted with unexpected calls unrelated to their work.

I personally would never ever cold call.
I do encourage those that are having trouble landing interviews to cold email.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post

Question asked, question answered. Plus it gives them the name of a person from whom they can get feedback about whether they are still up for consideration.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens