Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2018, 12:32 PM
harb1sj harb1sj is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale
Posts: 30
Default ASA Roadmap

My employer is requesting that I plan out which exams I will be sitting for in 2019 so that they may budget appropriately for exam fees/study materials. I currently have credit for FM, P, SRM, and all VEEs. I am waiting on a result for Exam IFM in about 2 weeks and will be retaking it in November should I receive a failing mark.

The two options that I see as most efficient would be:
Apr LTAM, Oct STAM, June PA (in 2020) OR
Feb STAM, June PA, Oct LTAM

Does the latter sound too ambitious, especially with exam PA being relatively unknown and only having transfer credit for SRM? Will the first plan set me behind at all getting an ASA 2 years after undergrad?

Also, what study materials would people recommend for LTAM & STAM?

I appreciate the advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:10 PM
DjPim's Avatar
DjPim DjPim is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 366
Default

Like you mentioned, everything depends on if you have to retake anything. If you have to take IFM again in November, then Feb might cut it close for STAM with holidays. Then again, going from October 19 to June 20 might feel like a long time between sittings. Personally, my rhythm would lean towards the latter, depending on how confident you feel you did on IFM. Can you wait 2 weeks for your results before deciding?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"Cali" SMH.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2018, 02:21 PM
harb1sj harb1sj is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale
Posts: 30
Default

I don't think I can wait the two weeks, but after speaking with coworkers I believe I would be best to put down the more aggressive plan as it is better to accidentally overbudget than underbudget.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exams

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.12017 seconds with 11 queries