Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerromnitsuj View Post
People here are saying no, you're not too old, and they're right. You can definitely get a job and pass exams in your thirties.

But when it comes down to it only you can make the determination if it's a good thing for you. Generally speaking, people are going to be happier and feel more fulfilled in the long term if they are social, get married, start a family, do things that build those relationships. But those things are hard, and in the short term they can feel stressful and not worth it to some people. There is no getting around the fact that studying for these exams will affect you in your pursuit of those things.

Maybe it's not true for you that those things would bring you the most happiness/fulfillment, and that's fine. But if those are on your radar, the fact of the matter is your thirties are going to better than your forties or fifties or sixties to get those eggs in a row, so consider that very strongly in your decision.

Not trying to drive you away. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and what you may be giving up, while also considering there are a lot of other viable options for finance grads.
This is a really, really solid point. The time commitment isn't joking around.
Text doesn't have intonation, so I might misinterpret your post. I'll ask for clarification if you do the same.
I like cats.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 AM

College: About to be a super senior

I personally would not. But everybody's different. I am not entirely sure if all the personal sacrifice to pass exams is worth it. I've changed my life pattern and dacrificed lots of my social life to pursue this field.

Note that there's no guarantee that you will get a job although you did everything you are supposed to, like passing a few exams. Note that you might have to move to some random ass place to get a job. Note that you might actually not be able to finish the exams after all.

One thing to keep in mind is that most people who quit the actuarial field have no reason to be on this forum. So you are only getting "success stories" here.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 AM

Out of curiosity, have you had any mathematics other than the required courses for business majors. If not, I would say forget it.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I personally have been involved in hiring a few career changers, and they have always brought something unique to the table that you just don't find in 21 year-old's with a couple internships and a tutoring gig in college.

Having general life experience is a plus, and having any kind of meaningful work experience is also great, even if it's not actuarial, or even business-related.

I've worked with a former bartender, teacher, financial analyst, and even a guy who was a residence hall director. They were all unique in different ways, and their resume's stood out, at least to me.
very much this

also, nice humblebrag by OP on having a friend
Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
Good morning all,
Hey.
Quote:
I just turned 30 years old and will finish my bachelors degree in finance by mid-December. Currently, Iím also working 50+ hours a week so I donít have time to study for Exam P until I finish school.
You have not passed an exam yet? Where is my old sig line??
Ah. Here it is: Pass some exams and get back to us.
Also: "finance degree"? How is your math background? Look at some sample questions to see where you are and where you need to be.
Quote:
So Iíll be 40ish when I complete the program.
Well, you might finish faster than expected (Phrasing! Boom!) Or never finish at all.
Quote:
Am I too old?
No such thing.
Quote:
Will I regret spending my 30s inside studying or will I be proud and happy I did?
Proud? happy? Emotions have no place in the actuarial profession. I'm afraid you don't qualify...
Quote:

Iím single and have one friend.
You're qualified!!! (Overqualified, actually.)
Quote:

Thank you,
Jeff
You're welcome. But, definitely look at some sample exam questions to see what you know and what you need to know. December is a long time off, and there are plenty of other professions to get into with a Finance Degree.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Good morning all,

I just turned 30 years old and will finish my bachelors degree in finance by mid-December. Currently, Iím also working 50+ hours a week so I donít have time to study for Exam P until I finish school.

So Iíll be 40ish when I complete the program. Am I too old? Will I regret spending my 30s inside studying or will I be proud and happy I did?

Iím single and have one friend.

Thank you,
Jeff
I started as an actuarial student at the age of 30. No complaints.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
i did too, but that was 30 years ago
Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM
SOA

College: Senior Undergrad - Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic Actuary View Post
Out of curiosity, have you had any mathematics other than the required courses for business majors. If not, I would say forget it.
I have taken statistics and management calculus. My concentration is finance. Also I already covered 2/3ís of Exam P using theinfiniteactuary.com which is very helpful. I stopped because classes started again and didnít have much time left in a day. I understood the mathematics but it was difficult to see the big picture and connect everything if you know what I mean but after studying for two months I started to see things and thatís when I realized I knew I could pass, I just need to do a bunch of problems.

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2019, 06:22 PM
SOA

College: Senior Undergrad - Finance
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Thank you
Old 02-13-2019, 06:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
I have taken statistics and management calculus. My concentration is finance. Also I already covered 2/3ís of Exam P using theinfiniteactuary.com which is very helpful. I stopped because classes started again and didnít have much time left in a day. I understood the mathematics but it was difficult to see the big picture and connect everything if you know what I mean but after studying for two months I started to see things and thatís when I realized I knew I could pass, I just need to do a bunch of problems.

Best,
Jeff
A lot of people in this thread trying to make you aware of the time you need to spend studying in order to pass these exams. And it's true, there is a lot of time you need to invest. However, I don't think you need to waste your 30s. A lot of it comes down to time management and how you approach these exams. Study smart. If taking classes and studying for an exam sounds impossible, then I would garner that you might not be studying smart.

And note, it's a skill that you have to develop. Not many people think about working smart and just go front to back.

If I were to summarize some of what I've learned over the years:
  • Make small daily goals.
  • Allocate X time to those goals.
  • Don't read every word. Get the big picture before going into details (i.e. build a foundation first).
  • Don't feel like you need to read the chapter completely before doing practice problems, get the big ideas and the formulas and try to apply them in a practice problem.