Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > Bermuda / Caribbean > General Chat Section: Bermuda / Caribbean
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS
Default Bermuda with ACAS

Hello,

I'm a Canadian with a dream of living somewhere warm and getting paid more. I have 2 years experience with analytics in data science type positions in claims and underwriting, with some pricing work too. I'm studying for the reserving exam (exam 7) and believe I can adapt to reserving roles as well.

I'm an expert with R and also have good communication skills. I'll officially be an ACAS soon, just need to do the paperwork. So, when should I start looking for interviews?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

You can look for interviews any time with an ACAS and some big data experience. Your "luck" will just depend on what is open and needed at the time. I think the only thing that might hold you back would be having only two years of expedience (if that is what you are saying.)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Onion View Post
You can look for interviews any time with an ACAS and some big data experience. Your "luck" will just depend on what is open and needed at the time. I think the only thing that might hold you back would be having only two years of expedience (if that is what you are saying.)
Thanks for the tip. I guess I would need to demonstrate accelerated learning patterns.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
Thanks for the tip. I guess I would need to demonstrate accelerated learning patterns.
Accelerated learning patterns is not really a thing I have really cared about in Bermuda or elsewhere. Based on your experience it looks like you have the grey matter upstairs to crunch serious numbers. I think you would be challenged on more social and family stuff in an interview...like will you like Bermuda and will your personal situation let you enjoy Bermuda. Which seems like a no brainer...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

hmm, well I'm in a long term relationship with a girl ( 4 years) but no kids. I've been living away from my home province where my family is for 5 years and don't go back very often. My main social life is my girlfriend, but I enjoy spending working hours with my co-workers. I consider myself mobile but I wonder if I'd need to be married first in order to bring her with me. I'm in my 20's. I feel frustrated with the cost of living compared to wages here in Canada. I started studying actuarial exams for the money but if I want to live in a decent house here I'll be a slave for the rest of my life to pay it off. I desire freedom, not this.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

I found this regarding bringing a common law partner. It looks pretty promising, so maybe we wouldn't have to feel pressure to tie the knot if I landed a job there.

Immigration

Recent amendments to Immigration Policy allow a “partner” of a Bermudian, PRC holder or work permit holder to enter and reside in Bermuda. The partner can also seek employment while residing in Bermuda. “Partner” is defined as a person who has been living with a Bermudian, PRC holder or work permit holder in a relationship akin to a marriage for at least two years prior to the application. In order to qualify, the couple must also satisfy the Department of Immigration that their relationship is genuine and subsisting, and the policy provides guidance on the factors that will be assessed when making this determination.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
hmm, well I'm in a long term relationship with a girl ( 4 years) but no kids. I've been living away from my home province where my family is for 5 years and don't go back very often. My main social life is my girlfriend, but I enjoy spending working hours with my co-workers. I consider myself mobile but I wonder if I'd need to be married first in order to bring her with me. I'm in my 20's. I feel frustrated with the cost of living compared to wages here in Canada. I started studying actuarial exams for the money but if I want to live in a decent house here I'll be a slave for the rest of my life to pay it off. I desire freedom, not this.
Bermuda is also stupidly expensive btw. What you really want is to have more disposable income. Not sure you will get that in Bermuda as an ACAS. Not unless they also pay for your housing (via an allowance). Maybe Bermuda Onion can give you more specifics here.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM
CAS SOA

Whats your compensation like Canada in any event...

Did you end up with lots of exams, but little experience?

That could explain your compensation problems.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:40 PM

If you want to make bank when you step foot in Bermuda you have to have some sort of experience where you can bring value day 1. Most people at your experience level can't just plop down at Ren Re and take over specialty underwriting. You will need to find a role where you can develop for three years and learn the business.

Lots of actuaries go to big 4 for three years. There you will audit the reinsurance and captive world and get a wide swath of experience. I know folks who started as an analyst and ended up as a CEO of a reinsurer.

Your standard of living will not go up dramatically day 1 but you won't pay taxes. You will not have the house with a pool overlooking the water. And you may have to do some work to find a decent place that doesn't break the bank.

And your girlfriend will likely not work so keep that in mind.

Having said all that, If you work in Bermuda you have generally stamped your career ticket so to speak
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Onion View Post
If you want to make bank when you step foot in Bermuda you have to have some sort of experience where you can bring value day 1. Most people at your experience level can't just plop down at Ren Re and take over specialty underwriting. You will need to find a role where you can develop for three years and learn the business.

Lots of actuaries go to big 4 for three years. There you will audit the reinsurance and captive world and get a wide swath of experience. I know folks who started as an analyst and ended up as a CEO of a reinsurer.

Your standard of living will not go up dramatically day 1 but you won't pay taxes. You will not have the house with a pool overlooking the water. And you may have to do some work to find a decent place that doesn't break the bank.

And your girlfriend will likely not work so keep that in mind.

Having said all that, If you work in Bermuda you have generally stamped your career ticket so to speak
stamping the ticket sounds good enough for me, I'm not looking for a get rich quick scheme, but a future I believe in. are there many positions of this type where I could learn the business I'm interested in?