Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

View Poll Results: annual raise status
No annual raises at my company (merit or COL) 8 8.16%
My company does some sort of annual raise 90 91.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I have been in a situation where I got no raise of any type for years.

Basically, everybody above a particular level got no COL raises (this is not to say our total comp was frozen -- my actual gross increased during this period -- but they wanted to have flexibility, so our increases came via bonuses), and people got promotion raises when they got promoted, and that was it.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-24-2019, 02:41 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I have been in a situation where I got no raise of any type for years.

Basically, everybody above a particular level got no COL raises (this is not to say our total comp was frozen -- my actual gross increased during this period -- but they wanted to have flexibility, so our increases came via bonuses), and people got promotion raises when they got promoted, and that was it.
that was the previous situation. Once you capped out at the broad pay range for your role you no longer got annual raises, but prior to that you'd still get them
Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
The annual raises are kind of BS anyway. They pretty much start from the standpoint of "You were fairly compensated last year, what change do we need to make based on your being slightly more valuable this year?". What if you weren't fairly compensated last year? And then all the games that go with corporate controls/caps/whatever.

So, a move to "We'll totally re-evaluate your comp every year without using a current-year anchor" would be good. But probably not what's going on here.
Yeah definitely no total re-evaluation each year.

Agreed annual raises are kind of BS but they are a thing at most companies and cutting them out is generally bad from a pay perspective for employees
Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
From what I've heard, the broad message is eliminating them, but they will secretly still give annual raises to top performers or people they just especially like.

Prior there was more of the corporate standard scale where you could expect some kind of small raise unless you were just a poor performer
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
We don't know which group the OP is in...
Yeah, we kind of do.

So, the company is saying, "You don't get a raise, unless you demand it; and then, we'll decide whether we want to keep you or not."
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM
SOA AAA

It's possible that the company just wants a giant shake-up, wants to get rid of a lot of employees who don't work an amount that their pay reflects, automate a lot more, etc.

This might be a shitty way of doing that, since everyone is effectively applying for their own jobs. But perhaps this is what the Two Bobs recommended. If you find yourself and your cubicle being moved to the basement, just set the place on fire.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yeah, we kind of do.

So, the company is saying, "You don't get a raise, unless you demand it; and then, we'll decide whether we want to keep you or not."
The message was not just told to me individually, it was presented in a larger meeting format
Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Messaging is permanent but perhaps theyd bring it back in the future if a bunch of people leave or something (i think they want that though).

Alternative is changing jobs within the company or promotion and determining your new fixed pay.
How well is your company performing? Are they having expense problems? The company I mentioned in my earlier posts had a really high expense ratio that they had to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
The message was not just told to me individually, it was presented in a larger meeting format
There can be exceptions to rules, even blanket ones. It is likely that someone will be allowed to make an exception.

Because, better employees will leave, leaving the company worse off than before. Top management knows this, and will allow exceptions.
Not everyone is an exception.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
How well is your company performing? Are they having expense problems? The company I mentioned in my earlier posts had a really high expense ratio that they had to deal with.
Performing fine, I think expenses are somewhat high, but I'm not sure whats normal to be honest.

If it was a message of, this is a tough year so no raises this year, that'd be one thing, this sounds permanent
Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Performing fine, I think expenses are somewhat high, but I'm not sure whats normal to be honest.
It would be good for you to keep yourself up to date on these things via industry publications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.