Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-04-2019, 05:13 PM
SOA

Default How does the hiring process work?

I've only been a part of a hiring process where we would hire a whole class of entry level analysts for a large corporation. I'm really interested in how the hiring process works at where companies are looking to fill only a single spot for a non-entry level position.

Here's a hypothetical scenario I had in mind. Let's say Company A is interviewing x number of candidates to fill 1 position.

1. Would Company A interview 1 candidate at a time and make an offer to the first person they like?
  • If this is the case, I can see the hiring process taking a long time if candidates turn down the Company one by one and the company would have to wait for candidate decision before moving to the next person.
  • This also limits the company to choosing the first most situation candidate rather than choosing the best from a pool.

2. Would Company A set a limit on the number of people they would interview so that they don't just stop at the first person they like?
  • Would they make multiple offers and just take the first candidate who accepts their offer? This might result in the company telling candidate Y they would have to retract their offer because someone else had already accepted it. I've personally never heard of something like this.

Obviously these are just hypothetical situations so I have no idea how the real hiring process works and I would love to hear different experiences if possible.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:19 PM
SOA

Post position, interview applicants, provide offer to best, follow up offer to next if first declined etc. repost if necessary (which may skip offer if all those interviewed were bad / nobody was worth interviewing).
This is worse than the finale of Lost, what about the smoke monster, was real or not, and if not, why have so many members of Trump's campaign plead guilty to lying about meeting with the smoke monster?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:20 PM
SOA AAA

Probably neither of these.

Here is one way, but not the only way:

1. Some number (X) of candidates is chosen by hiring committee as the number of candidates they want to interview, live (or on Skype).
2. Someone (HR, or the short straw from the committee) goes through the various resumes, phones some other number (Y) that will usually result in X qualified candidates to bring in (or Skype). If not, just keep phoning candidates until X is reached.

The way your company does it is known by someone in your company. You can ask them instead of a random group of actuaries online.

A company would likely NEVER make multiple offers for one position. Order in preference the candidates, and offer from the top, one at a time.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:21 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

When I've been invovled in hiring, there's usually waves of interviewees. I would generally try to interview three to five candidates, then the interview team would discuss and winnow them down.

If we had more than one that we really liked and thought would be a good fit, we'd rank them by preference. We'd then make an offer to the highest ranked... and only make an offer to the next in line if the first choice declined.

If we didn't like any of the candidates, we'd queue up another wave.

It really depends on what you're looking for, how difficult they are to find, and how much time you have.

I would, however, strongly caution against making multiple offers. This can lead to some really unhappy second-in-line candidates, if you make and then rescind an offer because someone else answered first. It's really not good practice.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:20 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
winnow them down

win·nowDictionary result for winnow
/ˈwinō/Submit
verb
verb: winnow; 3rd person present: winnows; past tense: winnowed; past participle: winnowed; gerund or present participle: winnowing; verb: win-now; 3rd person present: win-nows; past tense: win-nowed; past participle: win-nowed; gerund or present participle: win-nowing
blow a current of air through (grain) in order to remove the chaff.
remove (chaff) from grain.
"women winnow the chaff from piles of unhusked rice"
synonyms: separate, divide, sort out; More
remove (people or things) from a group until only the best ones are left.
"guidelines that would help winnow out those not fit to be soldiers"
find or identify (a valuable or useful part of something).
"amidst this welter of confusing signals, it's difficult to winnow out the truth"
synonyms: separate out, sift out, filter out, isolate, sort out, find, identify, ferret out; separate the wheat from the chaff
"it's difficult to winnow out the truth"
LITERARY
(of the wind) blow.
"the autumn wind winnowing its way through the grass"
(of a bird) fan (the air) with its wings.
Origin

Old English windwian, from wind (see wind1).
Old 02-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
When I've been invovled in hiring, there's usually waves of interviewees. I would generally try to interview three to five candidates, then the interview team would discuss and winnow them down.

If we had more than one that we really liked and thought would be a good fit, we'd rank them by preference. We'd then make an offer to the highest ranked... and only make an offer to the next in line if the first choice declined.

If we didn't like any of the candidates, we'd queue up another wave.

It really depends on what you're looking for, how difficult they are to find, and how much time you have.

I would, however, strongly caution against making multiple offers. This can lead to some really unhappy second-in-line candidates, if you make and then rescind an offer because someone else answered first. It's really not good practice.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Sorry. Umm yeah, usually bring in every viable candidate (viability determined in phone screening) and hire the most suitable. Maybe hire more if you really liked them. Or none at all.

My old boss said "I never buy a pair of shoes without trying on more than one." He was really into fashion though.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:11 PM
CAS

They would interview 2-5 people around the same time and make an offer to the best.

Occasionally, if there are not tons of qualified candidates, they might interview people one by one as qualified candidates arise and hire the first person who seems like a good fit.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post

win·nowDictionary result for winnow
/ˈwinō/Submit
verb
verb: winnow; 3rd person present: winnows; past tense: winnowed; past participle: winnowed; gerund or present participle: winnowing; verb: win-now; 3rd person present: win-nows; past tense: win-nowed; past participle: win-nowed; gerund or present participle: win-nowing
blow a current of air through (grain) in order to remove the chaff.
remove (chaff) from grain.
"women winnow the chaff from piles of unhusked rice"
synonyms: separate, divide, sort out; More
remove (people or things) from a group until only the best ones are left.
"guidelines that would help winnow out those not fit to be soldiers"
find or identify (a valuable or useful part of something).
"amidst this welter of confusing signals, it's difficult to winnow out the truth"
synonyms: separate out, sift out, filter out, isolate, sort out, find, identify, ferret out; separate the wheat from the chaff
"it's difficult to winnow out the truth"
LITERARY
(of the wind) blow.
"the autumn wind winnowing its way through the grass"
(of a bird) fan (the air) with its wings.
Origin

Old English windwian, from wind (see wind1).
I was aware of this word but had never seen it written (typed) out before. Huh.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni
Favorite beer: Delirium Tremens

Sometimes, if you're so really super awesome, the HR lady will convince your new boss to offer the job to you before the other X-1 candidates even make it into the building to interview. Ooooh yeeeeah.