Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 AM
CAS

Studying for 5?
College: Bachelors
Default Remote?

Is this type of work out there for actuaries yet? I see openings for asa+ often but not too often acas+. Also what about actuarial analyst with a couple years of experience? Has anyone noticed any transition over to remote yet for these more entry level actuaries? It seems that there should be more out there but maybe i'm wrong in 2019. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM
SOA AAA

From what I've seen, it is begrudgingly offered. No company wants to hire remote employees, but work has to get done.

Some companies are working on the lower productivity vs lower building rent equation. If it has enough people who are working remotely, company can downsize to a smaller building.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdl911 View Post
Is this type of work out there for actuaries yet? I see openings for asa+ often but not too often acas+. Also what about actuarial analyst with a couple years of experience? Has anyone noticed any transition over to remote yet for these more entry level actuaries? It seems that there should be more out there but maybe i'm wrong in 2019. Thoughts?
From my limited experience it seems most of the remote roles are for ASA+, I think its probably a good idea to be in an office setting for the first few years while you gain experience and I'm thinking most companies think the same so I doubt entry level will ever go remote. At least any time soon
Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 AM
It's a funny name.

yeah, I'd be really hard pressed to let an entry-level employee work remotely. too much hand-holding required on the work at that level for that to be an effective setup.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
SOA

I agree with the above.

Any entry level work that you could do remotely - glorified data entry and cleanup - isn't really what you want to do. You want to be learning new things and that is most easily done in an office with your boss.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

I agree that it's not a good idea for entry level. That being said, it's all about finding the right company. My last company would let you go full time remote, but basically told you that you're not going to be getting a big increase in responsibilities unless you come back into the office full time. My current company is all about letting people work remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Has anybody successfully gotten to work remotely for roles that originally did not advertise as remote work? If so when and how did you negotiate that?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 PM
CAS

I've been on both sides of working remote (managing and working) and the remote has included both "work from home" and "work in a different office of the same company". I agree that it's not something you want to do (or hire someone to do) as an entry-level actuary.

Software advances have made it much easier to work remotely, but you still get a lot more immediacy when you sit near someone. The boss wants to see when the new employee looks frustrated or confused or bored. The employee wants to see if the boss looks busy or supportive or annoyed.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Has anybody successfully gotten to work remotely for roles that originally did not advertise as remote work? If so when and how did you negotiate that?
I've seen people who had been working successfully in a role become remote when either they moved for a spouse or the company closed the office they were in. I've never seen it happen with a new job.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
From what I've seen, it is begrudgingly offered. No company wants to hire remote employees, but work has to get done.
Perhaps, except for companies that are essentially 100% remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.