Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-08-2019, 03:53 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Has anybody successfully gotten to work remotely for roles that originally did not advertise as remote work? If so when and how did you negotiate that?
we have a couple offices around the country. I've seen people getting hired to work out of location X, when their boss and anybody they'd be working with are in location Y and the boss' preference would definitely have been for the successful candidate to work out of Y. Not sure if the employee negotiated that, or if it's just a part of our mandate to be geographically neutral when it comes to talent acquisition. I haven't had to hire a geographically diverse team yet.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
CAS

I work from home 90% of the time, and manage a couple of peeps in different offices. I enjoy it, and I get way more done this way. My wife works from home too. We hole up in our respective offices at home and work in our pajamas all morning then emerge around 11 to eat lunch together. Then back at it in the afternoon.

It's kind of new to her and may be starting to drive her a bit nuts. She's very social and I think has a difficult time seeing no one in person all day other than me. And I get that. Some days I look back fondly on my last office job. There's a certain camaraderie in the daily grind and the recurring meetings and the office chit chat. I made a lot of good friends in office buildings, and it's harder to do that, IMO, strictly over the phone and via emails and shared screens.

But I sure as heck don't miss the commute. So many years I wasted 90 minutes a day in a car, and that's not something I enjoy, even with the radio or sirius or amazon prime music.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
From what I've seen, it is begrudgingly offered. No company wants to hire remote employees, but work has to get done.

Some companies are working on the lower productivity vs lower building rent equation. If it has enough people who are working remotely, company can downsize to a smaller building.
I don't think this is the only factor. A lot of companies are just not able to find the talent or skill set in the locations where they operate so they're becoming more open to remote jobs.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

Yes, I have seen remote P&C work at all exempt levels. It depends on the company policy and also special cases. Ask about it in interviews if it is important to you.