Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP / C
Favorite beer: All of the Above
Default Excel Skills

In a few past interviews, I have been asked "What functions do you use in Excel?" after already having a high level discussion on different types of analysis / reporting that I have worked on in my current role. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the interviewer may be looking for here? I've always been super confused on how redundant the question seemed, and have never really figured out a good way to answer.

For context, I have about 3 years of experience using Excel and Access and Business Intelligence tools on a daily basis.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM
CAS

"High level discussions" doesn't say anything about whether or not you understand the nitty-gritty details.

Also, there are multiple ways you could do something in Excel to "get an answer." E.g., there is VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP vs. INDEX + MATCH.

So I would just talk about a few of the functions you like to use to organize and manage data flow within the workbook you're using.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 PM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

VLOOKUP and IF (and its variants) are the common Excel functions that actuaries use.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP / C

so basically I was on the right track with vlookup, if (and other conditional functions), subtotals, etc.? Because that's the answer I gave each time (along with a brief explanation of how I use it).
Old 02-11-2019, 02:25 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP / C

I just didn't know if there was something else I was missing when explaining my skill set. I think my biggest insecurity with this is that most of the analysis work I do doesn't really happen in Excel.

The typical data flow is:

corp databases
-->business intelligence query/analysis
--> Access (if further joining/aggregating is required that can't easily be performed in BI)
--> Excel (where the data is compiled for a final report, typically using vlookups to the various datasets involved)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:19 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

If campbell is the one interviewing you, make sure you mention your heavy dependence on RAND()
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

I'd suggest you should be able to reference VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP vs. INDEX + MATCH., as mentioned by Shunday above... as well as SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, etc. INDIRECT is handy, RAND() and RANDBETWEEN() are super useful for a lot of excel-based modeling. And if you've got some VBA skills, this is a good time to mention them. If you're proficient with the statistical functions in Excel, bring them up.

Lots of people say they're good at Excel, but have never used the Lookup functions, let alone anything more sophisticated. Chances are, your interviewers are looking to weed out the people who don't know how much they don't know about Excel, and think that they're "expert" users because they can make a simple spreadsheet that looks nice... but can't actually make Excel into a useful tool for complex non-statistically-modelable scenarios.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I'd suggest you should be able to reference VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP vs. INDEX + MATCH., as mentioned by Shunday above... as well as SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, etc. INDIRECT is handy, RAND() and RANDBETWEEN() are super useful for a lot of excel-based modeling. And if you've got some VBA skills, this is a good time to mention them. If you're proficient with the statistical functions in Excel, bring them up.

Lots of people say they're good at Excel, but have never used the Lookup functions, let alone anything more sophisticated. Chances are, your interviewers are looking to weed out the people who don't know how much they don't know about Excel, and think that they're "expert" users because they can make a simple spreadsheet that looks nice... but can't actually make Excel into a useful tool for complex non-statistically-modelable scenarios.
Rand,
This is worse than the finale of Lost, what about the smoke monster, was real or not, and if not, why have so many members of Trump's campaign plead guilty to lying about meeting with the smoke monster?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Rand,
Why the laughter? What joke have I missed?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
If campbell is the one interviewing you, make sure you mention your heavy dependence on RAND()
fyi, Mr Dragon was being sarcastic...I'm pretty sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Why the laughter? What joke have I missed?
In these circles, the RNG within Excel has a poor reputation. It may be perfectly cromulent for your purposes, but it's not held in high regard for big time models.

Here's a somewhat-serious 14+ year-old thread on the subject (not specifically about Excel): http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=43041

If MPC peruses this thread she'll definitely have some more-useful reading material for you.

Last edited by 1695814; 02-11-2019 at 04:11 PM..