Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Why the laughter? What joke have I missed?
It's ok as a rough sandboxing tool, but shouldn't be used for anything important or serious.

Well, ok, that's basically all of excel I suppose.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: All of the above

Quote:
I'd suggest you should be able to reference VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP vs. INDEX + MATCH., as mentioned by Shunday above... as well as SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, etc. INDIRECT is handy, RAND() and RANDBETWEEN() are super useful for a lot of excel-based modeling. And if you've got some VBA skills, this is a good time to mention them. If you're proficient with the statistical functions in Excel, bring them up.

Lots of people say they're good at Excel, but have never used the Lookup functions, let alone anything more sophisticated. Chances are, your interviewers are looking to weed out the people who don't know how much they don't know about Excel, and think that they're "expert" users because they can make a simple spreadsheet that looks nice... but can't actually make Excel into a useful tool for complex non-statistically-modelable scenarios.
Thanks for the detailed response. This perspective definitely gave me a bit more insight on my dilemma.
Good to know that non-statistical experience isn't useless, since that was one of my main concerns.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
In a few past interviews, I have been asked "What functions do you use in Excel?" after already having a high level discussion on different types of analysis / reporting that I have worked on in my current role. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the interviewer may be looking for here? I've always been super confused on how redundant the question seemed, and have never really figured out a good way to answer.
You shouldn't make too much of an assumption here that the interviewer is being reasonable, thoughtful, and strategic about their questioning. Totally likely IMO that they had "ask about work projects" on their interview plan, and also had "ask about Excel skills" as a later note. So, when they looked at their sheet, they asked without thinking.

Reasonable answer in that case would involve "Like I said earlier, I've done ___ and ____. Here's some more detail on that..."
Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
fyi, Mr Dragon was being sarcastic...I'm pretty sure...
In these circles, the RNG within Excel has a poor reputation. It may be perfectly cromulent for your purposes, but it's not held in high regard for big time models.

Here's a somewhat-serious 14+ year-old thread on the subject (not specifically about Excel): http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=43041

If MPC peruses this thread she'll definitely have some more-useful reading material for you.
Yeah, not for any heavy lifting... but Excel isn't for heavy lifting. I've used Rand pretty much for very basic simulations...

For any real monte carlo work, I used to use @Risk by Palisade. It was a pretty nice snap-on for Excel, especially since my employer really didn't have any solid statistical tools.
Text doesn't have intonation, so I might misinterpret your post. I'll ask for clarification if you do the same.
I like cats.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
VLOOKUP and IF (and its variants) are the common Excel functions that actuaries use.
you use that at my company, you get fired. index/match all the way.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinthedark View Post
you use that at my company, you get fired. index/match all the way.
Meh. Vlookup is easy, and if it's a simple situation or a one off, index/match seems unnecessarily complicated.

But who am I to complain? I will avoid lookups in favor of sumifs any time I possibly can.

ETA: It's also entirely possible that match/index seems complicated to me, because it was one of the last "new" tricks I learned, and I haven't used it all that much.
Text doesn't have intonation, so I might misinterpret your post. I'll ask for clarification if you do the same.
I like cats.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Meh. Vlookup is easy, and if it's a simple situation or a one off, index/match seems unnecessarily complicated.

But who am I to complain? I will avoid lookups in favor of sumifs any time I possibly can.

ETA: It's also entirely possible that match/index seems complicated to me, because it was one of the last "new" tricks I learned, and I haven't used it all that much.
its honestly the same difficult as vlookup... more intuitive too imo... yeah most people who say its difficult are people who never spent the 5 minutes to get used to it
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:

ITA...especially the last part...I can program a index/match but not without looking up how it works...a vlookup - well, that's easy.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
ITA...especially the last part...I can program a index/match but not without looking up how it works...a vlookup - well, that's easy.
for reals? I also think index/match is much easier... its just index(array,row,column)... replace row/column with match fucntion.... nothing to memorize imo esp cause excel also gives you parameter hints
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
parameter hints
kids these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.