Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I've used Swappa to sell about 150-200 phones and purchased about 50. I highly recommend it. Do not use Craigslist, eBay, or Facebook to buy/sell a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I'll spend $200 and get the Nokia 6.1. I have AT&T, so I'm still trying to make sure it will work ok with that.
My uncle has a 6.1 and it works really well for the price point. It will definitely be compatible with AT&T assuming you find an unlocked version. It should be unlocked as long as you don't buy it through a non-ATT carrier.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I'll spend $200 and get the Nokia 6.1. I have AT&T, so I'm still trying to make sure it will work ok with that.
Moto G6 unlocked is on sale at Costco website for $190.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I'm guessing that means not unlocked. Bummer.
Depends on the carrier, is my guess. If it is AT&T, T-mobile, or Sprint, it is probably locked. Verizon is required to unlock all their phones, though they've been trying to sneak some through and gotten busted. But regardless, do your due diligence.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Depends on the carrier. This was verizon. If you pay up front as I will, they are unlocked but you must activate them on Verizon. I guess that you can take the sim card out and unactivate it the next day, as I was told this by the floor rep.

T mobile makes you stay on their service for 40 days and nights before they will consider unlocking it for you. IDK about other carriers.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
For a dishwasher, I'd get a good one, not an "on sale" one. Check thewirecutter.com.
I agree. And I'd emphasize my focus on the expected life of product, which unfortunately is anyone's guess. I do this, because I'd rather not buy the same things over and over. Especially things over $100, and things that need installing.

Not sure about this review, but it is something:

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-dishwasher
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Oooh, I forgot to mention it is not $750 cash back, nor gift card, nor instant discount. The $750 is bill credits for 24 months.

Depends on the carrier. This was verizon. If you pay up front as I will, they are unlocked but you must activate them on Verizon. I guess that you can take the sim card out and unactivate it the next day, as I was told so by the floor rep.

T mobile makes you stay on their service for 40 days and nights before they will consider unlocking it for you. IDK about other carriers.

So my goal to get the $1000 iphone XR is to buy two for $2000, and then flip one for $800 on swappa. My net price is $1200 but then I have $750/24 months in Verizon bill credits for two years. My net price is $450 on the Xr I retain.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
CAS

Going to buy a Samsung 55" TV, can't tell if current price is as low as it will go or if Friday/Monday it will go down more...
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
CAS

Heads up for those interested: In the next few days I will have a brand new in the box Pixel 3 XL and a mint condition (with all accessories) Pixel 2 XL (my personal phone) up for sale. I will cut AOers a deal of the going Swappa rate minus the cost of the Swappa sellers fee since you will save me that much. Let me know if anyone is interested via PM.