Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I mean, I guess they're trying.

In the keynote, they talked about how headphones shouldn't tether you. Then they showed that snappy video of the Express model looking dude wearing the airpods, and then the sharp business lady seamlessly switching her airpods from her iPhone to her Apple watch.

All I could think was, "This lady has to charge three things before leaving the house every day. Her watch, her phone, and now her headphones."

Certainly doesn't make me feel less "tethered".

Apple used to be great at making technology that blended into the background of your life. The iPhone gave you so much capability in one device.

When I look at their recent lineup though...

Leaving the house? Don't forget these:

Or if you forgot to charge them, you can just grab this:

and use your old headphones.

You've arrived at work and you're ready for a productive day. Juice up your Apple Pencil so you can take notes during the big meeting:

It conveniently uses the lightening port to charge; a unified standard for all Apple mobile devices.

At long last you're home. Don't forget to charge your devices before going to bed. That's the iPhone, the iPad Pro, the AirPods, and your Apple Watch. About that unified lighting port standard to charge all your mobile devices? I forgot, to charge your watch, you'll need on hand, one of these bad boys:

So is it possible to get a splitter for your lightning port so you can listen to music on your headphones and charge your phone at the same time?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: New Albanian Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
conspiracy theory: they're holding out the good stuff for next year. will burn a lot of the people who will upgrade this cycle (likely myself included) but hey it's apple
They've been holding out the good stuff since they finally upped their screen size. I'm not sure they have any good stuff.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
No, just the sevenessiversary.
wiki says first iphone 2007
Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
conspiracy theory: they're holding out the good stuff for next year. will burn a lot of the people who will upgrade this cycle (likely myself included) but hey it's apple
Why upgrade when you can just get an adapter for your older iPhone models?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
So is it possible to get a splitter for your lightning port so you can listen to music on your headphones and charge your phone at the same time?
Good question, I don't know.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 AM
SOA

Baaaaaaah! I will upgrade. My wife will get the new watch. Most fitness enthused stay at home moms will too.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Also in the realm of lack of excitement for consumer electronics, I was also kind of underwhelmed by Sony's PS4 Pro conference today.

The main selling point is 4K and HDR support, which is all well and good. 4K HDR TVs look pretty damn amazing.

The devil is in the details though. The odds that anyone will develop a native 4K game that can run on the PS4 Pro hardware is pretty low I think. Some games struggle to even hit 1080p on the standard PS4.

At least it can handle 4K blu rays right? Nope, the blu ray drive built in isn't capable of reading 4K blu rays.

So really, the native 4K content that we'll be able to watch will be Season 2 of "Narcos" and "Luke Cage" on Netflix, and some YouTube videos.

Neat.

Rumor has it that Google has a 4K Chromecast in the works and if history holds, that'll be $35.
Blame the dipshit content owners. The pirates already have everything they want, but the paying customers have to deal with all these compatibility issues, where the latest and greatest $400 box can't even play 4k blu rays
Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Boi View Post
Blame the dipshit content owners. The pirates already have everything they want, but the paying customers have to deal with all these compatibility issues, where the latest and greatest $400 box can't even play 4k blu rays
Even the new Xbox plays 4K blu rays. I can't wrap my head around these companies some times.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:51 PM
SOA

I signed up for Apple's silly upgrade program last year with the hopes of trading in and getting a new iPhone every year. I have so little interest in the iPhone 7 that I guess I'll just keep paying off my iPhone 6s for another year.

While I kinda don't care about the lack of headphone jack, I kinda want this phone to tank and Apple realize their "courageous" move was really stupid.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
I just read this on cbc

$160 wow?
Courage is telling your spouse what you spent $160 on...